New to all of this

glickchick

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New 19 yr old chick from NYC here. I actually just lost my hearing a few weeks back when I suffered pretty bad damage to the cochlear nerve in a car accident. I'm completely deaf. I'm doing well, but this is quite an adjustment.

While obviously the communication issues are a real challenge, emotionally I'm having a tough time coping with missing the regular, arbitrary sounds in life - Like running water, the engine of a car, etc. I'm expecting the sounds to be there, but of course they are not. I am also finding that I'm lacking confidence when speaking, even though I know I probably sound fine. I'm talking less and less just because I have no idea what I sound like. I'm starting ASL classes (along with my family and some close friends) at the end of next week. I know that learning ASL will be a big help. For now, I'm trying to read lips (so much tougher than it seems) and using pad/paper.

I have a ton of questions, and am really looking for others who have been in a similar situation and who are close to me in age.

-Lauren

Thanks guys. So my first question: What are the must-have technologies and products to make life easier? I already got an alarm click with a really bright flashing light, and I'm working on trying to get AT&T to switch my iPhone to a texting only plan. What other seemingly basic things to you guys use?

-Lauren

Thanks guys. So my first question: What are the technologies and products you use on a daily basis to make life easier? I already got an alarm clock with a bright flashing light, and my parents are trying to get AT&T to switch my phone to a text-only plan. But what else do you guys use to make life easier?

-Lauren

So my first question (many more to come!): What technologies and products are must-haves to make life easier? Already got an alarm clock with a bright flashing light. Any advice?

Sorry for the quadruple posts everybody. I didn't realize there is a lag time when posting.

Coping well with it so far? How long has it been since you've entered this world?

If your speech really bothers you, don't use it. Write, text, or pick up sign, of course asl means meeting new peoples and moving on from your old network. Only way I can gauge my speech is to replay or watch audience's feedback. Like they say and it shows, if you don't use something for awhile you lose your skill over it, so food for thought.

as far as tech goes, most deaf folks function with the same amount of items in the pockets a regular person has.. give or take a hearing aid or two. There isn't much really 'must haves' outside the home. If you go to school you might want to look into CART or get notewriters.

communication by videophones and skype/etc is the rage these days, that is used to social a lot in asl.

You can get flashing lights for doorbells and phones. Set your TVs closed captioning feature on.

I think that's basically it. I really dont use a lot of the deaf-related technology because I dont need a phone due to having texting to communicate with friends.

If you have a baby in the future, there are many different kinds of strobe lights that will flash whenever the baby cries.

That's all I can think of now.

Welcome to AD!

Thanks. Only about 3 weeks into this new world, so it's all still SO new to me.

I know that I still speak properly, but I just don't feel confident talking because I obviously can't hear myself speaking. I've been talking less and less and relying more on writing notes over the last week. I'm really looking forward to starting my asl classes next week, but i know that it will take time to learn to the point where I'm able to use it. My family and 3 of my closest friends (2 of them my roommates) are going to be doing the classes with me. It seems weird to just completely stop talking, so I'll probably always use my voice somewhat, but i really don't see myself using it as my primary way of speaking once i know asl.

Thanks for the tips on the technology. I don't have hearing aids (they won't work - i'm completely deaf due to a badly damaged cochlear nerve), but have been watching tv with captions. It's really weird but really the only way for me to watch now.

Thanks again,
-Lauren

Coping well with it so far? How long has it been since you've entered this world?

If your speech really bothers you, don't use it. Write, text, or pick up sign, of course asl means meeting new peoples and moving on from your old network. Only way I can gauge my speech is to replay or watch audience's feedback. Like they say and it shows, if you don't use something for awhile you lose your skill over it, so food for thought.

as far as tech goes, most deaf folks function with the same amount of items in the pockets a regular person has.. give or take a hearing aid or two. There isn't much really 'must haves' outside the home. If you go to school you might want to look into CART or get notewriters.

communication by videophones and skype/etc is the rage these days, that is used to social a lot in asl.

Welcome!!

I was born profoundly deaf. I am an ASL user. Ahh, let me think what else i have already had is alarm clock ( i use viberation rather than the flash light) i am a deep sleep person lol. Like shel said, if you plan to have a baby. all you can do is to type in google "baby cryer signaler or anything" it will leads you to the right link that you can order more.

there is one link that helps you to think of something you need in your life.

Shop Harris Communications Products for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Sign Language

lastly, im sorry about yoru car accident and glad you are OK.

there is lot of deaf and HOH who lives in NYC and NJ. I was originally from long island but now living in syraucse.

Thanks for the link - that's a great site. Really happy i found alldeaf (though I'm sorry I had to)... You're all so nice here.

Thanks for the link - that's a great site. Really happy i found alldeaf (though I'm sorry I had to)... You're all so nice here.

Nah, don't be sorry. Glad you found this forum any how. Just keep your mind open and read every threads of this forum. There are lots of conflicting with opinions and disagreement between hearing perspective and deaf persecpective and HOH persecpective.

BBbbbutt,

overall, we all are nice people. ;)

Jeeeebus you old wives, she's only 19! Surely no kid anytime soon! (Ok, not my business)

;)

Lots of new people to meet in NYC from here if you want to meet them glick! I go to Ithaca frequently myself.

Back