New motorcycle law proposed

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you think about this proposed law?

Jan. 12, 2006
S.C. LEGISLATURE
Bill would give bikers green light to run on red
They’d have to stop for red lights and check for traffic but then could proceed
By JOHN O’CONNOR

Street-level complaints sometimes inspire letters to lawmakers. But Sumter resident Billy “Reb” Richardson took his concern one step further.

He was inspired to write a law.

Richardson got tired of getting stuck at traffic lights riding around the state on his Harley-Davidson Electra Glide motorcycle. His solution: Let motorcyclists drive through a red light once they have stopped and checked for traffic.

Traffic lights often are triggered by sensors that pick up metal and mass when a vehicle stops on them, but some modern motorcycles are made from plastic and aluminum that can fail to trip the sensor.

“It got to buggin’ me, so I wanted to do something about it,” Richardson said. “You’re not going to find this problem in metropolitan areas; most of those areas are on timers.”

Richardson did some research, cribbing from similar laws in Tennessee and other states, and with the help of a legislative odd couple, he got Senate Bill 1027 introduced.

The measure would allow those riding motorcycles to drive through a red light with no punishment if the light has remained red for at least 20 seconds and it is safe to proceed.

The bill was introduced by Sumter Democrat Phil Leventis — whose buttoned-down demeanor contrasts with that of the bill’s co-sponsor, Lexington Republican Jake Knotts, a bike enthusiast.

Leventis said he sponsored the bill at Richardson’s request.

“I may have a bow tie,” Leventis said in introducing the bill, “but I do not have a motorcycle.”

Leventis compared the bill to a current law allowing right turn on red.

“The responsibility is on the motorist proceeding,” Leventis said. “This is the ultimate in driver responsibility. You do it wrong, and you’re going to get smacked.”

Knotts, who does ride a motorcycle, said waiting out traffic signals can be an inconvenience.

“They can sit there on some of these controlled sensors five or 10 minutes,” Knotts said. “They sit there and they sit there and they sit there.”

The bill would discourage a practice Knotts calls the “Lexington slide,” where a motorcyclist makes a right turn, followed by a usually illegal U-turn, to bypass a traffic signal.

The fate of the measure is not clear. Senate Transportation chairman Greg Ryberg, R-Aiken, said he had not studied the bill, but that it would receive a hearing.

If the proposed change clears the Senate, it would face a similar round of hearings in the House.

Barnwell motorcyclist Clay Morris said he supports the legislation because it encourages making a safe stop.

““Let’s make sure we don’t have young guys coming up and just pulling through,” Morris said.

There were 96,234 motorcycles registered in South Carolina in 2004, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Rick Werts, director of traffic safety for the Department of Transportation, said his department receives some complaints about the problem of stuck lights and is taking action.

The agency has changed the standard for traffic signal sensor loops, which are about 6 feet wide, can extend as far as 30 feet from the intersection and are embedded in the pavement.

As the state does routine maintenance on signals, Werts said, it will upgrade the sensors. Werts said DOT also will upgrade an intersection if someone files a complaint.

Werts also noted that some traffic signal cycles take longer than 60 seconds, so requiring a 20-second wait might not be long enough.

Officials with the state Department of Public Safety, which patrols state highways, declined to comment, saying they do not discuss pending legislation. Local law enforcement agencies contacted also declined comment.

Richardson said he would defend the proposal at any hearing, especially because it will not cost the state any money.

“It’s just common-sense legislation,” he said. “And it’s cheap.”

http://www.thestate.com

That's something interesting and new... I am sure
that most bikers would love this. I simply
love these "Yellow" light signals just to keep
the traffic intersection moving for both
motorcycles and cars. I think that any
Red lights are time wasters while these
Yellow lights are time savers.

check out Honda Rebel Forum about the stop lights :
http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=5894&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

buy from:

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

http://www.jpcycles.com/

Happy Motorcycling!
ladysmileyonbike.gif

That could be good news for motorcyclists but not good news for insurance companies. I except a big fight in the political halls.

I think they should pass the law for cars, too, because of the waste of gas going on while sitting at a red light. We have that here in CA and I saw a rpt about how much gas was saved by that!

How To Trip a Traffic Light With a Motorcycle

Every motorcyclist has pulled up to a red traffic light and waited to get the bike to trip a sensor to activate a left-turn or green traffic light. Often they just do not trip. Here are some things to try.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: varies

Here's How:
1. Get off your bike and push the "walk" button if it is safe.

2. Sometimes you may just have to look both ways and run the light. In some places it's OK to "proceed with caution" after 15 minutes, in some places after 2 cycles. You need to know what the law is in your area.

3. If you fail to trigger the switch, wait at least one more cycle and then proceed when it is safe.

4. Sometimes it helps to kill the engine and restart it just to get the magnetic fields going over the tripping device. Put yourself right over the detector in the pavement. Give the bike a couple of good revs.

5. Turn right and then do a "U" turn when you can.

6. Threaten legal action. Start by calling the street department and complaining. Every week re-check the light. If you get no action, send them a nice professional letter threatening them with a lawsuit.

7. As you approach the intersection, there are lines cut into the pavement where the sensor was put in. The sensor pad is
octagonal or square. Put the most metal over the intersection of two sides.

8. Another trick is to put out your kickstand. If you can get the kickstand out, there is more of a metal area to detect. Don't forget to retract your kickstand when the light finally changes.

9. Rig your bike with an electro-magnet under the frame. This is wired into the brake lamp circuit and induces enough of a field to trip most lights.

10. Consider the purchase of a device that will trip the light for you. Two such products are the Green Light Trigger and the Red Light Changer.

11. A new trend is the introduction of special motorcycle boxes that show you where to stop your bike to trip the light. The front-most "box" has additional diagonal lines, with a bike icon painted in the box.

12. Roll forwards and back in an effort to trip the sensors.

13. If you are waiting for a left-turn signal light to change, you can always proceed through the intersection on green and make three successive right-hand turns. This only works with regular city blocks.

14. Some states have sensors in the lights that can detect flashing lights of police cars and ambulances, and will quickly change the light. You might try flashing your lights to see if that will trip it.

here are few links where you can order Green Light Trigger/ Red Light Trigger ;
http://www.greenlightstuff.com/
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=GLTRIG
http://www.discountbuy.com/greenlighttrigger/
http://www.cyclecolor.com/id47.htm
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

Interesting..

EyesBlueDeaf, what about helmet laws for motorcycles, do you know? Since I see some ppls that do not wear helmets while motorcycles.

PurrMeow said:
Interesting..

EyesBlueDeaf, what about helmet laws for motorcycles, do you know? Since I see some ppls that do not wear helmets while motorcycles.

Oh yikes if without helmet it would be dangerous if get killed.. Better wear helment more safe hehe :lol:

DeafMonkey said:
Oh yikes if without helmet it would be dangerous if get killed.. Better wear helment more safe hehe :lol:

Of course, I agree with you. When I lived in Hawaii there were few that got killed cuz they didn't wear helmets. Also, my bf has motorcycle and has to wear helmet since he does not want to get injury.. I was wondering about other states.

EyesBlueDeaf said:
10. Consider the purchase of a device that will trip the light for you. Two such products are the Green Light Trigger and the Red Light Changer.
I think that is the best suggestion; thanks for the links to the products.

I disagree with the proposed law for two simple reasons. First, if the fire trucks and ambalances can't avoid getting "smacked" from time to time with all their accessories going (lights and sirens blaring and even going "slowly"), then it will be worst for motorcycles as they are "harder" to see being much smaller and not as noticeble. Obviously, this happens mostly with busy intersections not quiet ones so much :thumb:

Secondly, people sometimes can't even pull out to make a right turn on red without getting hit because they simply didn't see everything. It happens far too often. Doing a right on red is not supposed to be rocket science but evidently it is for some.

The argument about wasting gas is a bogus one as one has to make a choice between safety and taking chances with people lives. Besides, motorcycles get so much better gas mileage than cars so it is more of a moot point there.

Some of you will argue that "Well, we are talking about going on red when there is nobody coming". I don't have a problem with that "per se" but there will always be people who make mistakes and many accidents will happen and lives lost because of poor decisions.

I say get those sensors fixed to the point that the motorcycles need not wait so long and be treated just like cars for tripping the lights.

I agree with this. I've had friends complain that they come to a stop light that doesn't change. They just sit there and wait. Suddenly, a car approaches behind them... then the light changes. Boy, how annoying! :roll:

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/state/regional/story/5492336p-4951952c.html

Motorcycle rights group supports stop-look-go legislation

Published Sunday, January 29, 2006

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - A motorcycle rights group is supporting a Senate bill that lets bikers treat sensor-controlled red lights like stop signs.

Motorcycles often aren't heavy enough to trigger a signal change at automated intersections, so riders either sit there until a car comes along - which can take seemingly forever at rural crossings - or break the law by turning right then looping around and turning right again at the green light.

"There's a little red-light motorcycle dance that goes on sometimes," said Ed Haas, media coordinator for the motorcycle group A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments of South Carolina, or ABATE. "Any law that forces people to occasionally break it is problematic and probably should be reworded."

ABATE endorsed the bill co-sponsored by Sens. Phil Leventis, D-Sumter, and Jake Knotts, R-West Columbia, which lets bikers continue if a traffic sensor fails to detect their motorcycle or mo-ped, and they've sat at the intersection at least 20 seconds.

"This is a no-cost solution to a problem that affects some of the 100,000 motorcyclists in South Carolina on a daily basis," Dennis Welborn, a legislative coordinator with ABATE, said in a press release.

Fred Rosendahl, a traffic engineer for North Carolina's Department of Transportation and a member of its motorcycle safety committee, said changing the law is a bad idea.

"It breeds disrespect for adherence to traffic controls," he said. Rather than let bikers pass through red lights, the transportation department should ensure the sensors work properly, he said.

Knotts, a retired law enforcement officer, disagrees.

He said the proposal, introduced Jan. 10 - the first day of this year's session - is "just a way to allow people who wait at these lights for long periods of time to avoid breaking the law.

"If they get hit going through the intersection, it's their fault," he said.

Preliminary figures from the state Department of Public Safety show 90 motorcycle fatalities and 1,140 injuries in 2005. The department reported 92 fatalities and 1,386 injuries in 2004. Ninety-three bikers were killed and 1,182 injured in 2003.

Motorcycle rider Craig Partridge of Hollywood, in rural Charleston County, said he already uses the stop-look-go method at certain traffic signals.

"That's working real good for me already," he said.

---
Information from: The Post and Courier, http://www.charleston.net

Im a biker here in wyoming and have this problem many many times the "lexinton slide" here will get u a huge fine. I ve had to sit at a stop light before for 20 minutes because there was a cop hiding in an alley just waiting for me to run the light or do the "lexington slide" its very annoying and wastes tons of gasoline. the tricks stated above didnt work. what the heck can i do. this really fuels the road rage lol

Back