New here

Teacherofthedeaf

Reaction score
I am new to this website. I am a teacher of the deaf. I work at a private school for students who have a hearing loss. I hope to get to know some people on this site.

:welcome:

Do you sign ASL with your students?

I do know ASL, but our school is a listen and spoken language program, so I do not use it in the classroom.

I do know ASL, but our school is a listen and spoken language program, so I do not use it in the classroom.
UGH ! If you're deaf how do you listen to people?? Click on 'reply' when you want to quote a person. I was born HOH and didn't get my first hearing aid until I was 8 yo
and I had to stay back in first grade and still didn't pass the second time b/c I couldn't hear the my teacher . My teacher finally realize I 'could ' be HOH and gave me a hearing test after school. I still had a hard time going to school after I got my hearing aid this was in the 50's and ASL wasn't even talked about , I am can't believe a deaf school in 2016 doesn't allow deaf students to use ASL ! I failed 5 grade so getting a hearing aid wasn't enough . What is the successes rate of students passing their class? Do private deaf schools keep deaf students from using ASL so they'll have to stay back and the school can made more $$$?

UGH ! If you're deaf how do you listen to people?? Click on 'reply' when you want to quote a person. I was born HOH and didn't get my first hearing aid until I was 8 yo
and I had to stay back in first grade and still didn't pass the second time b/c I couldn't hear the my teacher . My teacher finally realize I 'could ' be HOH and gave me a hearing test after school. I still had a hard time going to school after I got my hearing aid this was in the 50's and ASL wasn't even talked about , I am can't believe a deaf school in 2016 doesn't allow deaf students to use ASL ! I failed 5 grade so getting a hearing aid wasn't enough . What is the successes rate of students passing their class? Do private deaf schools keep deaf students from using ASL so they'll have to stay back and the school can made more $$$?
Thank you for the tips. I think I was clicking on the one that says multi-quote. Our kids don't fail grades. We only go through kindergarten. Our students listen because they wear cochlear implants or hearing aids or both. I have three students with implants and two with hearing aids.

Thank you for the tips. I think I was clicking on the one that says multi-quote. Our kids don't fail grades. We only go through kindergarten. Our students listen because they wear cochlear implants or hearing aids or both. I have three students with implants and two with hearing aids.
OK , things were a lot difference when I went to school , I didn't live far from Boston there were a few schools for the deaf and hoh but no one told my parents this would had been better for me.

OK , things were a lot difference when I went to school , I didn't live far from Boston there were a few schools for the deaf and hoh but no one told my parents this would had been better for me.
Yes. It is kind of a bittersweet sitution. Well actually for some reason the auditory oral schools think all they have to do is get the kids speaking and then nothing else. They really do not understand that it's no longer all that innovative to mainstream a dhh kid, and that a mainstream school has lower tracks/special ed and isn't automaticly an excellent placement. It's good that they don't have to spend years in an oral school, like they did at CID, Clarke etc. At the same time, with the trend towards a more auditory verbal/inclusion based education, they are completly missing the value of a specialized approach, or the advantages of a dhh program (one of the ones housed at a public school)

Yes. It is kind of a bittersweet sitution. Well actually for some reason the auditory oral schools think all they have to do is get the kids speaking and then nothing else. They really do not understand that it's no longer all that innovative to mainstream a dhh kid, and that a mainstream school has lower tracks/special ed and isn't automaticly an excellent placement. It's good that they don't have to spend years in an oral school, like they did at CID, Clarke etc. At the same time, with the trend towards a more auditory verbal/inclusion based education, they are completly missing the value of a specialized approach, or the advantages of a dhh program (one of the ones housed at a public school)
My school wasn't thinking ! I failed first grade 2 times b/c I couldn't hear then got one hearing aid , I never saw any kids with only one lens for their eyeglasses but if were HOH you didn't need to use both ears to hear. People thought the problem was solved by just sticking one hearing aid in the kid ear and put them back in mainstream school. When the student fail again the blame was put on the student for being lazy and stupid when in reality it was the school system that was lazy and didn't give a crap
if a student with special needed dropped out of school. There isn't anyone really speaking up for students that are deaf or hoh.

I'm sorry, where do you get your information that auditory oral schools only worry about getting kids to speak? That really isn't the case at all. My school makes sure that students have academics as well as having specialized focus on the social skills of my students with hearing loss as well.

My school wasn't thinking ! I failed first grade 2 times b/c I couldn't hear then got one hearing aid , I never saw any kids with only one lens for their eyeglasses but if were HOH you didn't need to use both ears to hear. People thought the problem was solved by just sticking one hearing aid in the kid ear and put them back in mainstream school. When the student fail again the blame was put on the student for being lazy and stupid when in reality it was the school system that was lazy and didn't give a crap
if a student with special needed dropped out of school. There isn't anyone really speaking up for students that are deaf or hoh.
Yup I know. We are just shoved into an inclusion sitution and expected to learn exactly like a hearing kid with little/no attention paid to our more intense needs. If we demand more we are treated like we are making up our issues.

I'm sorry, where do you get your information that auditory oral schools only worry about getting kids to speak? That really isn't the case at all. My school makes sure that students have academics as well as having specialized focus on the social skills of my students with hearing loss as well.
An Option School right? You do realize that they screen the students, and if a child is lower performing, then they ask the child to leave, correct? Also by academics, we mean actual real academics, not preschool/kindergarten level academics. You do realize that although there are not a lot of dhh kids who absolutly cannot learn to speak, the numbers who actually do master sophiscated spoken language is very low right? There's no indication that an oral education equates with a higher verbal IQ. Even the auditory verbal research says " except for vocabulary" dhh kids are doing well orally. Vocabulary is the building block of language. How someone can be said to have mastered oral language, while lagging behind on vocabulary is a feat in itself. Again, have you spoken to mainstream teachers, and seen what happens when those "cute little kids" hit the oral deaf ceiling or what happens in high school, when they are desperate for a boyfriend or a girlfriend, and are in lower level English classes, or may be failing an advanced grade?

Back