New girl

Lilla321

Reaction score
Hi there! Just joined and looking for support.

Have recently noticed what might be hearing loss. I'm having a lot of trouble hearing people speaking and some other sounds. I cannot hear voices in busy (or not so busy) public places, or if someone is not right in front of me and facing me. I hear vowels but not consonants and can figure out words if I know the context of the conversation, but if not, I have to ask for clarification. Sometimes I just smile and nod and then feel embarrassed.

People often say something and then look at my baby in her stroller. I assume they ask how old she is and so I tell them her age, even thought it might not be what they actually asked. Sigh... I also use the closed captioning on the tv - very helpful.

Sometimes I feel that nothing is wrong, like maybe I'm just too distracted, and other times I want to cry because it's frustrating and exhausting. Our insurance covers nothing at all hearing related. I know I can get a free hearing test at some places, but I only have $700 max I can spend right now on hearing aids if I do need them. Next year we should have more flexibility for spending, but not right now. It would be soooooooo nice to be able hear better - even a little bit.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do for right now? What could help me with day to day life? Ie, hearing conversations at home and in public places, hearing the baby fuss from another room, hearing on the phone, etc.

Thanks for reading this!! And Happy Holidays!!! :)

Last edited:
hello! first and foremost welcome!

with regard your problem, my advice is to follow a speech and language therapist.

many of these problems can be overcome with therapy.

of course you do not have to follow the same route that you do from childhood .... :)

hello! first and foremost welcome!

with regard your problem, my advice is to follow a speech and language therapist.

many of these problems can be overcome with therapy.

of course you do not have to follow the same route that you do from childhood .... :)
I'm sure there is some sort of contraption that , when your baby cries, it flashes a light. they have those for door bells. If someone knocks, a light in the house flashes and alerts you that someone is at the door. Putting glass in the door so you can see your baby when she wakes up. If you have some hearing, a special baby monitor that amplifies the sound really loud combined with a hearing aid for you could help.

Back