**new aids!**

JennyB,

The same thing is true at my university. They won't provide a terp unless your hearing loss is 90 dB or greater. I wonder if the OP (original poster) has tried using an FM system? How effective they are differs from person to person, but from my experience, an FM system was helpful for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. If the OP hasn't looked into an FM system, that's something he/she might want to consider. They might be surprised at how much it helps. (Side note: To be fair, I don't want to discourage the OP from using a terp. After all, as DD says, the more tools you have in your communication toolbox, the better!)

I originally agreed to an interpreter because i didn't know how long it was going to take to get my hearing aids. since i couldn't get the aids originally, there was no way to use the school's FM system...
anyway...now i've been given the option...my biggest thing being in accelerated classes and especially being an ed major-there are a TON of class discussions all of the time, and unfortunately, my teachers do NOT repeat what is said by other students...even if you ask them to. so i was running into not being able to follow class discussions at all...and when i mentioned this...they suggested i went with an interpreter...

i only got an interpreter for the one class...the other one i still haven't received one for and it's definitely causing problems. there just aren't enough to go around...i didn't get my one for the one class until a month into the semester! my other classes i don't need one for since the teacher either signs as he speaks, it's my ASL class or there's an terp for another student...so i just needed one for two classes and i'm lucky i got it! who knows what will happen for next semester...

The terp shortage sucks a lot. I had to drop two classes because I didn't have terps. I can do a face to face 1-1 convo without one, but that is it. Nothing else. I am DEAF. For the month when I was still in the class and didn't have a terp I didnt even bother going because I would get nothing.

Yeah, I think I maybe hear feedback a couple times before- usually its someone who tap or say dude yur HA are feedbacking.

No, I haven't been HOH my entire life. Freshman year of high school I had a reaction to some meds...they think that i may have lost some of my hearing then and just realized it now (7 years later...i find it kinda hard to believe, but i look back and there were so many red flags that i should have suspected it...i guess i ignored all the flags...i worked in retail and was in very small classes so i wasn't put into the type of situation that really required good hearing until now when i came back to school...)
the sounds are definitely not the same, but i'm finding myself really starting to relax when i have to listen...i don't have to strain as hard...now with certain people i can't understand at all (it's almost like they're speaking a foreign language!) but hopefully that'll come with time?

Since you're a new hearing aid user, you may or may not find that your ability to understand certain people will improve with time. In my case, even though I could hear pretty well, my aids didn't give me the clarity I needed to hear/understand female voices, those who were soft spoken or had an accent. When I first got my aids, I made the mistake of assuming that they would solve all of my hearing problems. Boy, was I wrong! As I've mentioned before, I'm glad to see that you're using an interpreter. I wish I had the opportunity to learn ASL when my hearing loss was moderately-severe. I didn't start to learn ASL until my hearing loss became severe-profound. I hope you'll continue to let us know how your new aids are working out -- and I wish you all the best with your studies! :)

Since you're a new hearing aid user, you may or may not find that your ability to understand certain people will improve with time. In my case, even though I could hear pretty well, my aids didn't give me the clarity I needed to hear/understand female voices, those who were soft spoken or had an accent. When I first got my aids, I made the mistake of assuming that they would solve all of my hearing problems. Boy, was I wrong! As I've mentioned before, I'm glad to see that you're using an interpreter. I wish I had the opportunity to learn ASL when my hearing loss was moderately-severe. I didn't start to learn ASL until my hearing loss became severe-profound. I hope you'll continue to let us know how your new aids are working out -- and I wish you all the best with your studies! :)

thank you so much!
i'm finding the same...one on one convos i'm great at, otherwise i'm screwed. females and guys with "higher voices" i just can't seem to get-i feel so bad, i babysit for two little girls and i'm constantly asking them to repeat themselves! i was so excited for the aids...and i'm definitely loving them in certain situations (like tonight when i experienced music-way better than WITHOUT aids!) but i did make the mistake of assuming everything was going to be "normal" again. i'm finding it difficult to accept that my hearing isn't "normal" and never will be again...
my school wants to continue to test me every 2 months or so because they're worried that it's not just that reaction that is causing this...they commented that my "speech" has changed over the course of the past couple of months since i've been here and that i sound almost like a "hearing impaired person" as she put it...there are just some red flags that have been going up for them which also has me a bit worried...we're thinking that my hearing is changing and is dropping...which i kinda have to agree...i can't get in to see an ENT though until december.

Congrats on the new aids!! Hopefully, things are going a bit more smoothly for you now that a few days have passed. It can take some adjusting to. With my first aid, I actually could hear the leaves crackling under my feet and was amazed and just laughed over it. The first time I was around a young child screaming I almost yanked it out of my ear, but resisted the temptation. Even as bad as my hearing has gotten, shrill noises still bother me a great deal.

my grandpa just got new hearing aids recently (Resounds), and he is able to hear the higher frequency sounds again. Now, if my dad would do something about his hearing issues (he plays his music way too loudly so basically he's making himself deaf).

Hey there! So happy you got your aids and I know how you feel! I just got mine about a month ago and it was crazy what I can hear now! I never knew how much I was missing before! I sympathize with the mixed emotions. The thing with me though is everyone in my world is hearing and I am the one losing mine. I have the Starkey Zon 7's on both ears and they are truly amazing! The feedback is going to happen with any aid I think sometimes. Mine in a situation or loud high pitched tones make them feed back a bit but mostly only if I get something near the microphone part of them. Good luck with classes and I am happy you can HEAR!!!

Back