**new aids!**

HOH33stars

Reaction score
So I got my hearing aids!!!
It's a huge mixture of emotions for me...
Quite a few people have commented that I've "gone quiet" and almost "gone into a bubble" with this "expression" on my face...
I guess the best way I can describe it is I'm just trying to "hear the world"...
It's all very overwhelming and I find myself very confused all the time. The only situation that I've been comfortable in so far is a one on one conversation with someone in a quiet room. Anything else gets so overwhelming I just want to cry...which I almost did in my art class last night.
I'm hearing things that I don't know what they are...slowly I'm connecting certain sounds...but it's so confusing. there are certain sounds that when they happen...and i figure out what they were...i want to keep making them so i hear them over and over again because i think they're cool (like the jingling of keys...or i heard a cat meow last night...i wanted to squeeze the cat and make her do it again! LOL!)! then there are other times (actually all the time) that i hear things and i can't figure what they are and i get frustrated...
Language is a whole other thing...females I'm really struggling with (I always have)...and in a classroom I feel like I'm "listening" to a foreign language that doesn't match up with what I'm lip reading! My mind is looking at someone's lips and expecting one word...when my brain is hearing a jumble of something else!
I love them though. I don't ever want to take them off...it's just all very overwhelming. I do have to go back to my audi on weds to touch base...etc. I need to talk to her about my right aid especially...it keeps "whistling" all the time (I have the Black Starkey Destiny 200s BTEs with a soft ear mold)...
Volume wise I'm able to adjust the aids...i'm finding myself going a bit higher than what she set as "normal"...especially in classroom settings. It kinda helps even though i can't really understand still what is being said. changing the volume doesn't really affect the whistling though.
i have a feeling that i'm going to be using an interpreter for quite a while still...my audi even said that i may not be able to stop using one...simply because the understanding of other students when they speak i'll probably never get with the aids...we'll see though.
i was warned not to have too high of expectations...i guess i did get my expectations up quite high though. i know that aids don't give you "normal hearing" again...i suppose i was just expecting one of those "wow i can understand everyone again!" moments. i mean i'm LOVING my aids and what i'm hearing now...i guess i didn't prepare myself for it to be so hard though to hear again.

The only good advice I can think to offer is that I think the whistling must indicate a problem with the fit of the earmold on that side.

I hope that you are happier now and that you get used to your aids soon.:)

I can emphasize with you. In fact, your post reminded me of the very first time I wore hearing aids (age 15). I made the mistake of expecting that my aids would solve all of my hearing problems (which they didn't), but at the same time I was so happy by all of the new sounds I could hear. When I first got my aids, I needed people to tell me what I was hearing because alot of the sounds I heard didn't make sense. Even after all this time, I can still remember the very first sound I heard with my aids -- the A/C in my audi's office. I remember sitting in the office wondering, "What is that constant blowing sound?" When I asked my audi, she told me it was the A/C. :)

Try to hang in there. Things will get better once you've worn your hearing aids for some time and have become accustomed to them.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the degree of your hearing loss and what type of hearing aids (BTEs, ITCs, ITEs) are you wearing?

I'm glad you're using an interpreter in class. I have bilateral CIs and although I'm able to hear quite well with them in a quiet one on one situation, I do have some difficulty hearing in background noise and from a distance. Therefore, I use an FM system and Braille realtime captioning (a captionist types out what is said on a laptop and I read this information on a Braille display) for my university lectures. It makes class discussions so much easier.

Anyways, I wish you all the best with your new aids. :)

Can you hear the feedback?

What type/degree of loss do you have?

The stress and confussion and overwhelming feelings will go away soon. Just stick at it and continue to locate the new sounds!

I can emphasize with you. In fact, your post reminded me of the very first time I wore hearing aids (age 15). I made the mistake of expecting that my aids would solve all of my hearing problems (which they didn't), but at the same time I was so happy by all of the new sounds I could hear. When I first got my aids, I needed people to tell me what I was hearing because alot of the sounds I heard didn't make sense. Even after all this time, I can still remember the very first sound I heard with my aids -- the A/C in my audi's office. I remember sitting in the office wondering, "What is that constant blowing sound?" When I asked my audi, she told me it was the A/C. :)

Try to hang in there. Things will get better once you've worn your hearing aids for some time and have become accustomed to them.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the degree of your hearing loss and what type of hearing aids (BTEs, ITCs, ITEs) are you wearing?

I'm glad you're using an interpreter in class. I have bilateral CIs and although I'm able to hear quite well with them in a quiet one on one situation, I do have some difficulty hearing in background noise and from a distance. Therefore, I use an FM system and Braille realtime captioning (a captionist types out what is said on a laptop and I read this information on a Braille display) for my university lectures. It makes class discussions so much easier.

Anyways, I wish you all the best with your new aids. :)

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It's good to know that this is "normal"...kinda LOL!
Lets see...I'm now wearing two BTEs and I have a moderate hearing loss (50db loss in both ears) which we're thinking fluctuates though or may just be progressively getting worse...
this is all pretty new to me...my interpreter just started (i asked for one late and interpreters around here are far and few between...especially with a few other Deaf students here at the university!)...but i'm so glad that i did ask for one! i thought i could "tough it out" ya know? i found out really quickly that it's impossible when you're taking a full course load...during the summer, yeah i did ok, but full classes? nooooo way! LOL!
anyway thanks again!

Can you hear the feedback?

What type/degree of loss do you have?

The stress and confussion and overwhelming feelings will go away soon. Just stick at it and continue to locate the new sounds!

I can hear the whistling when it's in my ear...and I keep adjusting it to try to get it to stop but it doesn't really work...
When my hair also brushes against the one mic on my right one it whistles like crazy too...so something is up with it. i was told probably a new mold will do the trick...hopefully! i feel like a radio almost trying to tune haha!
I have a bilateral moderate loss (50dbs across the board with the exception of the 8000s when it severely drops off)
Thanks for your encouragement too!!! You guys are awesome :ty:

Good luck with your classes! THe only time that I use interpreter is classes. For everything else, I don't need it.

I thought I can toughen it out with having a CI, but it was just no way that I could understand 100%.

Have anyone else noticed the whistling? If they do, yes, it's probably the earmold. If not, then it's kind of something else.

Are you hearing it ALL the time, or just in some situations? You may be hearing the A.C. or some other mechanical sounds. When I was first activated with my CI, I could not figure out what was the buzzing noise. I thought it was my tinnitus, but it went away when I shut off my CI. It was just annoying me...until my fiance told me that the AC is on. OH my gosh. I never heard it before...now, it's my achillies' heel. I hate AC sounds.

Good luck!

Good luck with your classes! THe only time that I use interpreter is classes. For everything else, I don't need it.

I thought I can toughen it out with having a CI, but it was just no way that I could understand 100%.

Have anyone else noticed the whistling? If they do, yes, it's probably the earmold. If not, then it's kind of something else.

Are you hearing it ALL the time, or just in some situations? You may be hearing the A.C. or some other mechanical sounds. When I was first activated with my CI, I could not figure out what was the buzzing noise. I thought it was my tinnitus, but it went away when I shut off my CI. It was just annoying me...until my fiance told me that the AC is on. OH my gosh. I never heard it before...now, it's my achillies' heel. I hate AC sounds.

Good luck!

Hiya!
Yeah, some other people have noticed the whistling (i was in ASL yesterday and the student next to me was like "what is that noise?!" and i'm like..."sorry, I haven't figured out how to make it stop doing that yet!" LOL!A few times if my hair brushes against the mic on it too it whistles again...
It's so funny about the AC! I'm finding the same thing! I was in class and i'm like...what IS that? ::looking around:: finally i just went and realized that it was the air in the room...so now when i'm trying to focus on people talking i'm listening more to that stupid air blower! LOL!

I have to agree with others that improper mold causing feedback.

It is awesome feeling to hear new sounds. Have U been hoh entire life and just now get HA's? I was perfect normal hearing and lose it near all at once. I did not get HA for few years, but when I did, I tell myself how stupid I was for waiting. I got some sounds back- no way like I remembered, but for me it made a difference in everything, communicating, environmental awareness more, and my career especially went into hypersuccess mode.

Werd- Im so glad u are happy with them. Keep up the enjoyment. :D

my interpreter just started (i asked for one late and interpreters around here are far and few between...especially with a few other Deaf students here at the university!)...but i'm so glad that i did ask for one! i thought i could "tough it out" ya know? i found out really quickly that it's impossible when you're taking a full course load...during the summer, yeah i did ok, but full classes? nooooo way! LOL!
anyway thanks again!

How long did it take for them to find you interpreters? I told my Uni I would need them about 5 months in advance and then they had a month and a half to book them once I got my schedule....I still had to drop classes because we couldn't find interpreter!!! You are lucky you got one! I am fairly sure here, if I were to have a 50dB loss they would have been told me it wasn't going to happen, and then hand me an FM system and a note-taker. Maybe CART if there was a lot of pushing for it! Be very thankful that you are in a position and place to get interpreters. There is a massive shortage in Canada.

I can hear the whistling when it's in my ear...and I keep adjusting it to try to get it to stop but it doesn't really work...
When my hair also brushes against the one mic on my right one it whistles like crazy too...so something is up with it. i was told probably a new mold will do the trick...hopefully! i feel like a radio almost trying to tune haha!
I have a bilateral moderate loss (50dbs across the board with the exception of the 8000s when it severely drops off)
Thanks for your encouragement too!!! You guys are awesome :ty:

Wow, most people can't hear their own feedback. Maybe you are being over amplified if you can hear it! Check into that!

How long did it take for them to find you interpreters? I told my Uni I would need them about 5 months in advance and then they had a month and a half to book them once I got my schedule....I still had to drop classes because we couldn't find interpreter!!! You are lucky you got one! I am fairly sure here, if I were to have a 50dB loss they would have been told me it wasn't going to happen, and then hand me an FM system and a note-taker. Maybe CART if there was a lot of pushing for it! Be very thankful that you are in a position and place to get interpreters. There is a massive shortage in Canada.

JennyB,

The same thing is true at my university. They won't provide a terp unless your hearing loss is 90 dB or greater. I wonder if the OP (original poster) has tried using an FM system? How effective they are differs from person to person, but from my experience, an FM system was helpful for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. If the OP hasn't looked into an FM system, that's something he/she might want to consider. They might be surprised at how much it helps. (Side note: To be fair, I don't want to discourage the OP from using a terp. After all, as DD says, the more tools you have in your communication toolbox, the better!)

Wow, most people can't hear their own feedback. Maybe you are being over amplified if you can hear it! Check into that!

JennyB,

I know you said "most people," but when I wore hearing aids and had moderately-severe hearing loss, I could hear my aids giving off feedback. In my case, it was usually the result of having the volume control of the aids turned up too high or not having the earmold completely in my ear.

JennyB,

The same thing is true at my university. They won't provide a terp unless your hearing loss is 90 dB or greater. I wonder if the OP (original poster) has tried using an FM system? How effective they are differs from person to person, but from my experience, an FM system was helpful for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. If the OP hasn't looked into an FM system, that's something he/she might want to consider. They might be surprised at how much it helps. (Side note: To be fair, I don't want to discourage the OP from using a terp. After all, as DD says, the more tools you have in your communication toolbox, the better!)

Yeah, my hearing loss is 110-120 dB up to 1000Hz and no response beyond that. I am Deaf too, and even I had to fight for terps!

JennyB,

I know you said "most people," but when I wore hearing aids and had moderately-severe hearing loss, I could hear my aids giving off feedback. In my case, it was usually the result of having the volume control of the aids turned up too high or not having the earmold completely in my ear.

Yup...which is why I said "most" :P:giggle:

Yeah, my hearing loss is 110-120 dB up to 1000Hz and no response beyond that. I am Deaf too, and even I had to fight for terps!

Why was there so much resistance to give you terps? Did they try convincing you to use CART and/or a notetaker instead?

I have to agree with others that improper mold causing feedback.

It is awesome feeling to hear new sounds. Have U been hoh entire life and just now get HA's? I was perfect normal hearing and lose it near all at once. I did not get HA for few years, but when I did, I tell myself how stupid I was for waiting. I got some sounds back- no way like I remembered, but for me it made a difference in everything, communicating, environmental awareness more, and my career especially went into hypersuccess mode.

Werd- Im so glad u are happy with them. Keep up the enjoyment. :D

No, I haven't been HOH my entire life. Freshman year of high school I had a reaction to some meds...they think that i may have lost some of my hearing then and just realized it now (7 years later...i find it kinda hard to believe, but i look back and there were so many red flags that i should have suspected it...i guess i ignored all the flags...i worked in retail and was in very small classes so i wasn't put into the type of situation that really required good hearing until now when i came back to school...)
the sounds are definitely not the same, but i'm finding myself really starting to relax when i have to listen...i don't have to strain as hard...now with certain people i can't understand at all (it's almost like they're speaking a foreign language!) but hopefully that'll come with time?

i only got an interpreter for the one class...the other one i still haven't received one for and it's definitely causing problems. there just aren't enough to go around...i didn't get my one for the one class until a month into the semester! my other classes i don't need one for since the teacher either signs as he speaks, it's my ASL class or there's an terp for another student...so i just needed one for two classes and i'm lucky i got it! who knows what will happen for next semester...

no like it sometimes goes into my ear...it's not on the outside...it goes through the mold...i can hear it very clearly...and there's a lot i can't hear if they're not turned up...it's something i have to discuss with my audi.
there's another type of whistling though that i guess is happening that i'm NOT hearing...i've had a few people tapping me on the shoulders saying "you're whistling again!"
i feel like a radio being tuned...lol...

Why was there so much resistance to give you terps? Did they try convincing you to use CART and/or a notetaker instead?

No, they are really resistant to use CART. I'm not sure why...

I think the issue is that I am an amazing speech reader and it can often come off as having the ability to discriminate words because I am that accurate. Fact of the matter is that without speech reading I get 0% one speech discrimination tests. FM was really pushed, even when she saw my audiogram. It look a letter from my audiologist to convince the school that I needed interpreters.

Back