Netbook/Mini Laptop?

Hello,
I heard that mini laptop called "Alpha 400" 7 inches screen...cost $170. I don't know if it is good or not?

Deafbear

Hello,
I heard that mini laptop called "Alpha 400" 7 inches screen...cost $170. I don't know if it is good or not?

Deafbear

I wouldn't buy this. It may be good for net browsing, and some basic use. It won't be good for gaming. Screen too small for some. Typing word processor depending font size you use and it's a hassle unless you don't care as long as you get your term paper done at public place. Watching converted DVD movie using .AVI video file format for Windows XP media player or Linux's Totem player won't be a problem cuz subtitle is clearly readable better than BB Curve's 240x320 screen resolution :rofl: (by converting DVD movie into smaller file format adding subtitle along with it and transfer to USB flashdrive and use it on netbook)

I'm sticking with 10" LCD netbook.. It's have nothing to do with squinting thru small 7" screen, it's just hassle of scrolling up and down and sideway to see entire website.

Catty

Yeah.. You know what? some netbooks offer 3G< I mean 3G already built-in.. that why netbook is part cellphone and part pc.. ha
:P

Yup! :lol:, I saw the magazine at work that ad show AT&T broadband chipset installed in netbook and other with Verizon chipset installed in netbook. It's removeable. It's called Mini-PCI card. Very much similiar to Laptop Wifi wireless G or A,B,G,N Mini-PCI card. My laptop have one and I can swap with AT&T or Verizon's so I can have cellular broadband on my laptop. But the real hassle is high payment and limited option of Cellular co cuz not all have one, Sprint, Tmobile, Cricket and name a few do not have Mini-PCI card for laptop or netbooks. USB broadband card or PCMCIA card either one

Catty

I wouldn't buy this. It may be good for net browsing, and some basic use. It won't be good for gaming. Screen too small for some. Typing word processor depending font size you use and it's a hassle unless you don't care as long as you get your term paper done at public place. Watching converted DVD movie using .AVI video file format for Windows XP media player or Linux's Totem player won't be a problem cuz subtitle is clearly readable better than BB Curve's 240x320 screen resolution :rofl: (by converting DVD movie into smaller file format adding subtitle along with it and transfer to USB flashdrive and use it on netbook)

I'm sticking with 10" LCD netbook.. It's have nothing to do with squinting thru small 7" screen, it's just hassle of scrolling up and down and sideway to see entire website.

Catty

Geeks.com has it on sale for 149.00. It is not worth that . You get more then 10 emails and you will lock up the RAM. Also it is not an intel processor so updating the Kernel to up date to a GOOD Linux OS would/IS A PAIN. Don't worry the wirless will also have you chase you tail all night long.

DSC08432.jpg

The yellow one is running Ubuntu and no problems. The small one is a alpha 400, it was on trial and ERROR to see if it would be ok for small children. Give them a TSR80 at least they can play a game. There are several forums for the Alpha 400, but the machine is hard to use.

Geeks.com has it on sale for 149.00. It is not worth that . You get more then 10 emails and you will lock up the RAM. Also it is not an intel processor so updating the Kernel to up date to a GOOD Linux OS would/IS A PAIN. Don't worry the wirless will also have you chase you tail all night long.

DSC08432.jpg

The yellow one is running Ubuntu and no problems. The small one is a alpha 400, it was on trial and ERROR to see if it would be ok for small children. Give them a TSR80 at least they can play a game. There are several forums for the Alpha 400, but the machine is hard to use.

:lol: TSR80, I almost thought it was TRS80 as first Radio Shack computer (look at the spelling of TSR80 and TRS80). :rofl:

Good idea for kids to play with. Must be somthing that on TSR80 netbook that cause problem with Linux. I believe that maker of netbook did not do enough testing on it.

Catty

Hi,
Okay, I won't buy the Alpha 400. I will find another way. Thank you for help me out.

Someone who will go to CES (Computer/Tech Fair) in Las Vegas this weekend (Jan 8-11)? I want to know what's go on there? I know that there will be lot of new netbooks.

Deafbear

Hi,
I haven't heard anything about CES at Las Vegas last month? I want to know who went there? Tell me about the netbooks, and etc?

Thank you,
Deafbear

have the Acer Aspire One netbook and have been pretty happy with it so far. Just perfect for internet use and simple word processing. Not worried about gaming on it.

I'm thinking about buying MSI Wind U115 or newer as long as it boots right up fast. I read that it had a good reviews among other netbooks

Catty

I m still thinking about buying new Asus Eee Pc1000He 10" Netbook. It costs $374 at Amazon.com. I will see some netbook at some electronic store later.

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE Review

Nah, but the HP mini like I bought it, it is really good computer, I am glad I bought it but it only have 60GB otherwise it is sufficent for travelling purposes.

Asus Eee Pc1000HE s battery life is 9 hours. Wow! And 160 GB hard drive. Performance is faster than HP 1000 XP.

I do interesting to get netbook because of want play old games because Intel video card are running so well.

I had tried to play Fast Food Tycoon 2 and got refresh issue due GeForce card don't support many old games.

However, it's not on my most wanted list.

Not 9 hours, it is 9.5!! hours lol

LOL.
yes, should lower this brightness, power saving mode and shutting off wireless card for longest life battery.

Some Notebook review said:
This screen brightness set to 60%, wireless active, and processor set to auto it stayed on for 7 hours and 36 minutes. This is the longest netbook battery life result we have seen from a stock configuration. If you are going for longest possible time, you can shut off the wireless cards, put it into power saving mode, and lower the brightness all the way and it gets an estimated 9 hours and 20 minutes of battery life.

Hi there, I am a netbook guru. You will be better off with a new Asus Eee 1000HE, it sports a 10 inches screen, almost like a full size keyboard, (just like a macbook or sony vaio keyboard, i like its spacing between letters), a whopping 9.5 of battery life! it got wifi, and everything u need, even a webcam... high powered processor, 1.66, not 1.6 ghz atom ... so yea

get Asus Eee 1000HE, not 1000HA.. they are different model. :wave:

heres the video review, it got CC http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1000he/4505-3121_7-33522069.html?tag=mncol;lst

Back