Netbook/Mini Laptop?

Grummer, You can wait to get new mini-laptop till early next year. I may purchase Dell Mini-12 if installed Windows XP or Dell Vosto 13.3 inch laptop with Windows XP next week. I need it for my business trip.

You may interest to get more info on Mini-12 preview from APC in Australia.
WORLD FIRST review of Inspiron Mini 12: Dell’s super-slim netbook!

that its way overpriced for a tiny lappy with strict 1GB RAM limit due to the chipset !! Major drawback that is. However, if this comes out offering XP Pro SP3, and drop the price to $600 and that would be unlikely.

I don't make any suggestion with iPod Touch, Power ON did that.

That's reason because I had brought up about MacBook since they are 13 inches but I know it's more pricey, even I did included in my post if could afford it, white MacBook is $999 now and my suggestion is different when compare to netbook, nothing to force anyone to buy it.

[Mod's Edit - Unnecessary Comment removed thus retailing]

yeah I know what you mean. sorry, I'm a little new to this forum and first time on a deaf forum myself. so I'm still not used to how peoples posts around here compared to other forums (grammers and similiar stuffs).

Hopefully Deafbear would post here again with his/her info on what she would need the netbook for so we can give better info on which choices might be the best. just a vacation travel thing is not enough info since even a regular 12 in laptop can work (I have a 12 in laptop myself and bring it with me everywhere I go)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I know what you mean. sorry, I'm a little new to this forum and first time on a deaf forum myself. so I'm still not used to how peoples posts around here compared to other forums (grammers and similiar stuffs).

Hopefully Deafbear would post here again with his/her info on what she would need the netbook for so we can give better info on which choices might be the best. just a vacation travel thing is not enough info since even a regular 12 in laptop can work (I have a 12 in laptop myself and bring it with me everywhere I go)

Yup, welcome to this forum.

Best Buy has Netbook that added to own category under computer and check it out.
Netbooks - BestBuy

Netbook don't meet my exception then I prefer regular notebook because netbook has slower CPU (Atom), no optical drive built-in and not much features as regular notebook.

Hello Everyone,
Oh wow...that's pretty lot of suggest/informations that you gave me?

I will do reseach it more. Before I decide to buy. (Maybe I will buy lappy around spring 2009.) No hurry.

Some of you said ...what I need the netbook for? I need it for the deaf cruises. I don't want nothing fancy....just simply basic regular mini-lappy with wifi. And also, I want to download my pictures (SD)and email it to my family and friends. (I know that the Netbook don't have CD/DVD included. Maybe I will try to buy for the add dvd contenter(sp)? I don't know what kind of this model?) I am not smart techie, okay?

Thank you for share with me those information. It will be helpful lot.

Have a happy Thanksgiving week,

Deafbear

PS by the way, I am girl, okay?

Hello Everyone,

I will do reseach it more. Before I decide to buy. (Maybe I will buy lappy around spring 2009.) No hurry.

Some of you said ...what I need the netbook for? I need it for the deaf cruises. I don't want nothing fancy....just simply basic regular mini-lappy with wifi. And also, I want to download my pictures (SD)and email it to my family and friends. (I know that the Netbook don't have CD/DVD included. Maybe I will try to buy for the add dvd contenter(sp)? I don't know what kind of this model?) I am not smart techie, okay?

Deafbear

Right. I will wait to listen that Windows 7 will be preinstalled in all of netbooks next year.

Hello Everyone,

Deafbear

Ok, just go to Best Buy and check it out.

Yup, if you want watch DVD movie then get USB DVD drive, just connect to USB and it should be work.

I will wait to hear that new netbook or mini-notebook will be showing at CES (consumer electronics show) in Las Vegas on January 8-11, 2009.

Everyone, ya should be talking abt netbooks in Computers, Gaming ect blog in AD. :rofl:

But I believe mini laptop can be part of mobile phone ect cuz Cellular co are including cellular broadband chipset for mini laptops. I did read articles abt it. It have dial up to call anyone from mini laptop. If anyone happen to have "Mobile technology" magazine. It'll tell abt it.

I'm not implying u to move Thread to Computer, gaming ect.. Blog. I can see it as a moot point cuz mini pc or Netbook is still part of Cellular network if purchasing one with built in "AT&T" cellular chipset. So this blog still counts

Peace :eek2:~V

Catty

For me, when it comes to Netbooks, I'd rather have Windows instead of Linux due to compatibility with ZoomText from AiSquared. ZoomText for Windows has input tracking, while Compiz Fusion under Linux does not.

Also, with netbooks, this requires a zoom factor to be higher than 15.4" laptops despite having a resolution of 1024x600 for 11" or less.

Thus, it's not that easy for the visually impaired to work with such a small screen duing travels.

Last edited:
For me, when it comes to Netbooks, I'd rather have Windows instead of Linux due to compatibility with ZoomText from AiSquared. ZoomText for Windows has input tracking, while Compiz Fusion under Linux does not.

Also, with netbooks, this requires a zoom factor to be higher than 15.4" laptops despite having a resolution of 1024x600 for 11" or less.

Thus, it's not that easy for the visually impaired to work with such a small screen duing travels.

Since I use JAWS (or one of the various linux-based screenreaders, mostly YASR) and not zoomtext, it's the perfect blind-friendly portable pc for those of us that use screenreading and not magnification, since linux outside of the graphic environment tends to be far more screenreader friendly than windows. (hell, even gnome is pretty screenreader friendly, relatively.)

I can use Orca screen reader for Linux, but I have to use magnification due to my hearing impairment.

If I could get a Braille display, I can get myself a netbook. (I can't afford the Braille display, even though I do know Braille, but need to refresh my knowledge in Grade 2 Braille contractions).

My off-topic comment: I'd really want to see developers of Compiz Fusion with Enhanced Desktop Magnifier plug-in implement input tracking and center the window in position with the arrow (mouse movement) except at the edge/corner of the screen.

I can use Orca screen reader for Linux, but I have to use magnification due to my hearing impairment.

If I could get a Braille display, I can get myself a netbook. (I can't afford the Braille display, even though I do know Braille, but need to refresh my knowledge in Grade 2 Braille contractions).

My off-topic comment: I'd really want to see developers of Compiz Fusion with Enhanced Desktop Magnifier plug-in implement input tracking and center the window in position with the arrow (mouse movement) except at the edge/corner of the screen.

Have you applied for funding through vocational rehab or similar programs? Elsewise, it's possible to buy braille displays off of ebay cheap. you have to check often cos they're not posted very often, but still- i've seen TWO 80 cell braille displays (retail value at around 16,000) sell for -200$-

Everyone, ya should be talking abt netbooks in Computers, Gaming ect blog in AD. :rofl:

But I believe mini laptop can be part of mobile phone ect cuz Cellular co are including cellular broadband chipset for mini laptops. I did read articles abt it. It have dial up to call anyone from mini laptop. If anyone happen to have "Mobile technology" magazine. It'll tell abt it.

I'm not implying u to move Thread to Computer, gaming ect.. Blog. I can see it as a moot point cuz mini pc or Netbook is still part of Cellular network if purchasing one with built in "AT&T" cellular chipset. So this blog still counts

Peace :eek2:~V

Catty
Yeah.. You know what? some netbooks offer 3G< I mean 3G already built-in.. that why netbook is part cellphone and part pc.. ha
:P

Mini-Laptop, it call "UMPC", Ultra-Mobile PC
Ultra-Mobile PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UMPC can use Windows XP, Vista, etc..
you go search "UMPC", they are many!!!
You are correct, netbook is part of UMPC. However they prefer calling them "NetBook" instead of UMPC like people carrying their hiptop, but they prefer calling their device "sidekick" instead of Hiptop. ;)

Hello:wave:

I have played with a eee pc 701 2g surf. It is slow. I bought a MSI clone, a sylvania g meso yellow off eBay for around $200, 80gig hard drive/atom . I like Ubuntu better then the distro that the EEE PC uses. The early eee pc had a small battery 4400ah the would only last 2 hours on a good day, and the memory on some of them is only 2 gigs. You can modify the eee pc fairly cheep and have a better then average laptop. With the EEE being so popular you can get extra Big batteries off eBay that will last all day 7 hours. I want to get an eee just to modify the thing, but I should probably not cause it will just cost way too much and it would be cheaper in the long run to leave it alone.

I will stay out of the apple phone war, and be happy with the three year old nokia with removable sim card and battery I can still get :Oops:

Back