Need Your Help Soon!

lms86

Reaction score
Hi. I'm writing a paper for my ASL class. It's due very soon so would anyone please help me? It's about Deaf Culture and Safety. Some of these situations may seem obvious or be a bit outrageous, but please help me out as much as you can:

1) What would you do if someone approaches you from behind when it is dark out and you are walking alone? If you do not rely on the sound of them coming up behind you, is there another way you stay aware of your surroundings when light is limited?

2) I understand that deaf people still have voices and can use them at their will, but are deaf people taught to yell and scream in a kidnapping situation like hearing people are? If not, how would a deaf person handle an attempted kidnapping?

3) What is the best way to handle if you are lost in nature and cannot hear wild animals approaching or a search party calling for you?

4) Are deaf people allowed to be lifeguards?

5) Do deaf people avoid playing games that require blindfolds?

Thanks a WHOLE lot! You don't have to answer them all, but the more, the better.

Hi. I'm writing a paper for my ASL class. It's due very soon so would anyone please help me? It's about Deaf Culture and Safety. Some of these situations may seem obvious or be a bit outrageous, but please help me out as much as you can:

1) What would you do if someone approaches you from behind when it is dark out and you are walking alone? If you do not rely on the sound of them coming up behind you, is there another way you stay aware of your surroundings when light is limited?

2) I understand that deaf people still have voices and can use them at their will, but are deaf people taught to yell and scream in a kidnapping situation like hearing people are? If not, how would a deaf person handle an attempted kidnapping?

3) What is the best way to handle if you are lost in nature and cannot hear wild animals approaching or a search party calling for you?

Thanks a WHOLE lot! You don't have to answer them all, but the more, the better.

I'm not deaf, so I will leave it to the deaf members to answer the majority of your questions, even though I have answers for them. I wanted to address you question about lifeguards, though. Life guards depend more on their vision to tell them someone is in trouble than their hearing. A person at risk of drowning and floundering around in the water is not likely to be yelling for help. That is why one is not supposed to talk to a life guard on duty. Talking them distracts their visual attention to the speaker and not on the water where it should be.

Umm, it would depends on how I would react when I am caught off guard. I think due to common sense, I would avoid those areas or bring a company with me.
But if I had to, I would pay attention to shadows, if there's little light or moonlight that can aid me or check the reflect on the glass/mirror walls in city. You know the giant window in front of some stores, reflect from cars, etc. When you depend on eyes that much you learn to be more sensitive to things around you. You will just ending up notice things more than usually. Just be extra alert and keep checking behind your back. I would think hearing aids, CI, hearing dogs can help some people.
Sometimes just scanning the surrounding, can be helpful.
Oh! We must never forget our guts, sometimes it can warn us of possible danger.

I don't know, since I wasn't taught that. I saw that on movies and television quite often though, so I might apply that for my own survival.
I think it depends on person and situation that arise. Is it a good idea to scream if person is aiming a gun at you? I would think not. But if there's no weapons involved then, scream with everything you got, include fighting back.

Following codes in Boy Scouts of course, is to not move from your area if possible and make visual clues such as wearing bright color clothes, form signs on ground like "HELP" using rocks or tapes, etc.
Build fire for smoke or form emergency lights and use flare gun. That is from watching too many movies, lol.
Was never in scout, but I don't really forget what lessons they used in movies or television.
As for wild animals, well I dunno. Just don't make yourself looking weak. Again, use fire, tree limbs, or anything you got to protect yourself and don't leave yourself so exposed. I am not sure what types of animals can be threatening to people other than cougars and bears in US/Canada. If you are in Africa or other countries, then I have no idea.

One of my former classmate who is deaf was a lifeguard.

Dunno about others. But I know I would for sure. Hated that games...

Hope those help? Hope you can even at least understand my answers, lol. Of course, this is only from one deaf person, you can't really apply that to all deaf people. I guess, common sense is truly your best friend. It's a skill hopefully deaf people acknowledge that they need in order to avoid putting themselves in danger.

Last edited:
Tsk tsk tsk... procrastinating? Shame on you!

Just kidding, I always do my papers the night before... never fails me! ;)
That's something we have to deal with. If it's with my friends or people I know, I always make sure that they approach me the right way since I may not hear them approaching me. Other than that, it can't be helped. Even hearing people don't always hear others approaching behind them.
That depends on the individual. I've heard stories of hearing people not screaming when they were raped. Why didn't they scream? They can talk. They know how to use their voices. Like I said, depends on the individual.
The answer is pretty much the same as #1. I do know that since deaf people can't hear, they rely more on their eyesight. So, a lot of deaf people are more alert of their surroundings cuz they tend to look around more often than a hearing person would. In a way, that's good... he/she could probably see an animal approaching from further away before a hearing person would hear it approaching from a few feet away. ;)
Sure! I have a few deaf friends who are certified life guards. In fact, I have one deaf friend who was a life guard at RIT.

I don't know if there are restrictions though. For instance, a deaf person might be able to be a lifeguard at a regular-sized pool that is private and occupied by a few people, but not at a huge heavily populated public swimming pool. But then again, I could be wrong on that. :dunno:
That depends on the purpose of the blindfold. If it was a surprise party or a surprise of some sort, that's fine. If it was a game where the blindfolded person had to guess what was heard, they avoid it. If it was a game where they have to feel something, that's fine.

Ever heard of a board game called "Cranium"? There's one part of the game where one player has to close his/her eyes while drawing on a piece of paper... until someone else calls out the answer. For a deaf person, we will have someone from another team observe and tap the drawer's shoulder when the correct answer is called out. If it's team versus team, then both team will have one person sit out and be an observer of the same.

LeRoy Colombo, the "world greatest lifeguard", was listed in Guinness Book of World Records and deaf, so it's obvious deaf lifeguards have some advantages. Perhaps all lifeguards should be deaf? ;)

Sometimes I can detect a person's steps. This largely depends on the sort of surface I'm walkiing on. Aside from that, I suppose I wouldn't notice.

I can yell, but I carry a personal alarm, which is louder and draws more attention. When hit, it blasts out a very very loud (louder than a fire alarm) tone.

Uh.. I don't do wild. At all.

I don't see why not. As has been said, it's a visual task.

I don't know about OTHER deaf people, but as a deafblind person, I've tried orientation and mobility training with sleepshades/blindfolds on quite a few times. It's no different to me.

^ Thanks! While surfing those links you have gave me. I found this interesting fact from one of your links.

"Investigations have shown that victims are usually too traumatized to shout for help in unfamiliar and dangerous situations, increasing their vulnerability."

I would totally kicked his butt. Not kidding. I will go Bruce Lee on the idiot. I use common sense - first, try to avoid walking alone at night...if I must, then I will have my key ready, be alert of my surroundings, etc. My pepper spray will be open and ready to use.

Again, I would totally kicked the dude's butt :). Yes, in my self-defense class I was taught to yell "Fire!" whenever there was a problem. If the deaf person can't vocalize the word, then just make noise to distract the person enough to get away.

Do the calling for the search party...stay in the same area. Kick the bear's butt (see a pattern here, yet?)

4) Are deaf people allowed to be lifeguards? Yep

5) Do deaf people avoid playing games that require blindfolds? this question generalizes...not all deaf people will respond the same way...

See above

Even when it's not dark I often check behind me. People are always forgeting "one more thing" they wanted to tell me, so looking back is habit. I'm a certified personal protection instructor and a bee-keeper who works at night without lights loading and unloading beehives. Even in the blackest night there's some vision once eyes become accustomed. I'm at home and confident in the dark--an aggressor would soon find himself a victim.

I speak (often way too loudly) so I have no problem in that area. My sis is deaf since birth but can (and does) scream bloody murder when scared. Besides, a kidnapper would quickly bring her back and offer me large sums of money to take her.

You do the same thing a hearing person should do--you make lots of noise in the woods to avoid surprising wild animals. The best noise makers are BIG sticks to knock together and against trees. Any self-respecting bear or mountain lion will find reason to be in the next county, and searchers will more likely hear you. But don't forget visuals like bright fire at night and smoking fire during the day.

Absolutely.

Are handcuffs involved, too? Oh, you mean parlor games. No, giving away two senses is too much disadvantage.

LeRoy Colombo, the "world greatest lifeguard", was listed in Guinness Book of World Records and deaf, so it's obvious deaf lifeguards have some advantages. Perhaps all lifeguards should be deaf? ;)
How is deafness an advantage for lifeguards?

As a soon to be certified lifeguard...:)

Lifeguarding is entirely visual. The signs of a drowning victim do not include screaming (if your underwater or thrashing around in it you aren't likely to get many sounds in). Lifeguards are trained to "look" for victims, not "hear" them.
In fact, it is easy to become distracted by loud noises when they are scanning the area. That's why it may be better to be deaf, less chance of being distracted.

They aren't distracted by bypassers who wants to talk and disturb the lifeguard? Greater depedency on vision perhaps makes it easier to spot people in trouble, too. But you are raising a good question.

My point was perhaps not that deaf people are good as lifeguards, but that I can't imagine any real disadvantages, and there can't be any significant ones when a deaf lifeguard is put in the world record book for highest number of savings?

I am not sure if there really is any big disadvantages or advantages in any job for deaf people. To me, it's often hearing people who decides the limitations, hence the "deaf people fit this but not that". If the whole world was deaf, we would still, for example, have pilots in the air force, and deafness would not be an issue. Even a deaf soldier can learn to move quiet and spot other soldiers by reading the nature. Ok, just my 2 cents.

They aren't distracted by bypassers who wants to talk and disturb the lifeguard? Greater depedency on vision perhaps makes it easier to spot people in trouble, too. But you are raising a good question.

My point was perhaps not that deaf people are good as lifeguards, but that I can't imagine any real disadvantages, and there can't be any significant ones when a deaf lifeguard is put in the world record book for highest number of savings?

I am not sure if there really is any big disadvantages or advantages in any job for deaf people. To me, it's often hearing people who decides the limitations, hence the "deaf people fit this but not that". If the whole world was deaf, we would still, for example, have pilots in the air force, and deafness would not be an issue. Even a deaf soldier can learn to move quiet and spot other soldiers by reading the nature. Ok, just my 2 cents.

If you are in the Wild, there is advantage to be able to hear the sounds in the bush. If the deaf soldier could learn how to be quiet, but it is also impossible to walk through quietly as he could have step into the broken limb out of the tree or hard grass. Everything in the bush or forest is not always quiet. I have live in the bush half my life or almost all of my life. I could not hear the sounds but I do know when my mom or my sister tells me that there is sounds in the bush. My sister told me that mom would look out for me to make sure there is no wild animals like wolves (very common), moose, and bears to attack me. I have always love living in the bush. In order to survive, I never pay much attention to the danger of the wild animals lurking out in the bush. Never happen to me all those years, so I consider myself lucky. Maybe, yes, deaf soldier could spot by reading the nature. I better go and good day. :wiggle:

If you are in the Wild, there is advantage to be able to hear the sounds in the bush. If the deaf soldier could learn how to be quiet, but it is also impossible to walk through quietly as he could have step into the broken limb out of the tree or hard grass. Everything in the bush or forest is not always quiet. I have live in the bush half my life or almost all of my life. I could not hear the sounds but I do know when my mom or my sister tells me that there is sounds in the bush. My sister told me that mom would look out for me to make sure there is no wild animals like wolves (very common), moose, and bears to attack me. I have always love living in the bush. In order to survive, I never pay much attention to the danger of the wild animals lurking out in the bush. Never happen to me all those years, so I consider myself lucky. Maybe, yes, deaf soldier could spot by reading the nature. I better go and good day. :wiggle:

You are obviously living in a very cool place :) One thing that is cool for deaf or hearing people staying in the wild, is to bring along a dog. The dog can alert one and tell what is going on in what direction. It's an extra sensitive eye, smell and ear to bring along. Leaves the CI or HA in the dust :)

A healthy wolf don't attack people. Only a sick or wolf with rabies would. You have nothing to worry about from them. :)

A healthy wolf don't attack people. Only a sick or wolf with rabies would. You have nothing to worry about from them. :)

True. Lightings are more dangerous than wolves. In a population of one billion people living in world parts with wolves, through 50 years, only 17 people are known to get killed by wolves. But their theeth are impressive yeah!

I don't like farmers or ranchers killing wolves because that is natural for wolves to behave in a way to attack sheeps. As a matter of fact where I was growing up and living in the bush, we do have pack of wolves that could attack any one in their territory just like bears or moose. You have to remember they are wild and will always be wild. If you happen to catch a baby wolf and get the baby wolf tame. Then that means the tame wolf will not be able to survive in the wild and will surely get killed if entering their territory by any wild animals. As a human whether you are hiking or camping or just be in the forest to enjoy the beauty, you just have to be careful not to get involve in their territory. Just bring along your protection like a rifle just in case, not for sport, mind you. :deal:

Back