Need to learn ASL - Help Please

city3f39

Reaction score
I am severely deaf and I am finding I am not being able to hear things as well as I used to. My fiance has mentioned we should learn ASL so she can interpret for me. We want to learn at our own pace through learning out of a book. Can someone suggest a good book for us to get to learn the basics with, so we can use ASL as a back up for when I can't hear what is being said?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

The best way the learn ASL is to register to take ASL classes together in-person (not online, or from a book... which really doesn't work).

Depending on where you live (size of city etc) ASL classes may be held at a Deaf Centre, School for the Deaf, school, community centre etc.

You'll want to find a class that is taught by a native ASLer who is either Deaf themself (preferably) or is a CODA/SODA (child/sibling of Deaf Adult)- meaning some one who has been signing for many many years, often their entire lives, uses ASL as their primary means of communication, has taken instruction/classes teaching them how to teach the curriculum provided (this is often done "in-house" bases on specific standards set out by the province/state/city etc). Also it's important that whoever is teaching the classes is an active member of the local Deaf/(Hoh) Community in your area and is willing to help you immerse yourself in the community as much as you wish/are able.

Don't "worry" about how you'll communicate initially if you're teacher is Deaf ... the teachers will have hand outs, write words on a white/chalk board, and often will have an ASL/English interpreter come in for the first part of the first class to interpret for them the initial "rules", questions about how to contact the office if you'll miss a class due to illness etc, how the course will be marked etc.

For prospective students who are Hoh or Deaf themselves, finding a class taught by a Hoh or Deaf teacher also helps ensure that it will be a "voice off" class ... meaning ONLY ASL will be used in class (and writing on a board) - however no instruction will be giving orally, meaning that your hearing won't negatively impact you're ability to participate in class ... actaully many of the skills you've picked up regarding "filling in the blanks" when you miss something spoken etc, will now be an advantage in learning ASL!

Do beware of some "ASL Classes" that might be offered at community centres etc by hearing people who've been through all the levels of ASL 101-302/3 and now think they can "teach" ... these people so NOT have the fluency required to teach (but somehow, these "classes" appear occasionally ... usually until the Deaf/Hoh community finds out and talks with the "teacher", explaining that what they are trying to do is both wrong and disrespectful

There are some good books & DVD series out there ... the BEST of which is called "Signing Naturally" - in fact it's often the basis from which many ASL courses are taught. That being said, I can't stress enough how very very important learning from someone who's primary language is ASL will be. Learning ASL from a book, is a lot like trying to learn English from a dictionary - while you can learn some words/signs from a book which might allow you to identify objects (apple, mum, dad, bus, car etc) , you can't learn ASL the language (verb tense, spacial grammar, the way to connect ideas together etc) from a book.

I think it's FANTASTIC that you are in a position that your fiancé is interested in you both learning ASL :)

Incidentally - there are many more classes that someone must take after finishing the "standard" ASL classes (101-302/3) to learn how to interpret English to ASL and vise versa (it's a fun, but challenging job). Many larger colleges/universities now offer ASL/English interpreting diploma or degree programs which might be of interest to your fiancé - they may even wish to consider being an interpreter as a career (interpreting takes place in a variety of settings including educational (kindergarten -> university) Medical (doctor's office,hospital, mental health, etc), industry, retail, communications, government, legal, .... basically anything you can think of - it's likely an interpreter will be needed in that position making it a VERY reliable job, even in a tough market!

let us know how things go !

Once you starting learning, many of us have webcams etc in order to communicate with each other in ASL - great for beginners looking for some practice and help outside of their ASL classes :)

Hi, Jeff: I'm going deaf, too, and have been for now but I'm running out of technology :) (digital hearing aids/ear mold problems)... I've been signing a little for many years but I'm really about out of time. We're (spouse/friend/I) taking ASL I at our local community college. Our final is in two weeks. ASL II is in Sept. so we're hiring the instructor to keep us on our toes through the summer.

At first, we all though S.E.E. would be fine (we wouldn't have to learn ASL construct). But, in order to communicate to the deaf ASL is really important (we decided).

Google it locally. There are plenty of ASL browsers on the internet and yoda speak (helps a bit with construct). Personally, I think physically going to class is best. I went to college in person for three years but I finished my degree over the internet and did smashingly well but there's nothing like being there.

Good luck!

can I help you teach you ASL I teach you improve basic how do you want to interest about basic ASL. i want to communication to you sign language skills .I encourage to sign langauge. I am responsiblity take brave teach you sign language. :D

We want to learn at our own pace through learning out of a book.
Learning any language from a book is extremely difficult, especially ASL which is such a nuanced language that it's almost impossible for a still image to convey all the necessary information (movement, facial expression, body language, etc.). There's also the matter that just learning signs isn't enough because ASL is structured completely differently than English, and while you can use ASL signs in English word order, it's cumbersome and vague because used in that manner, it's difficult to indicate concepts like time and quantity or to illustrate action.

My recommendation is to try and take some classes, preferably taught by a native signer, but you need to investigate the class first because sometimes you'll have a class that claims to be ASL when it's really just signed English (this seems common at a lot of churches). I suggest making contact with the local Deaf community and asking their advice, or if you know any local interpreters then they might have some suggestions, too.

There are some good books & DVD series out there ... the BEST of which is called "Signing Naturally" ...
The "Signing Naturally" series is intended to be used as classroom curriculum and is not at all suited for self-learning.

Hi, I have "Signing Time" dvd set the best system I found so far it is really easy and fun, my kids love it, the bad thing is that is really expensive, I have the series one and two and the set for babies, total like 32 dvds plus cds, I have an extra set that I don't need so if you are interested just email me for details, thanks

Learning any language from a book is extremely difficult, especially ASL which is such a nuanced language that it's almost impossible for a still image to convey all the necessary information (movement, facial expression, body language, etc.). There's also the matter that just learning signs isn't enough because ASL is structured completely differently than English, and while you can use ASL signs in English word order, it's cumbersome and vague because used in that manner, it's difficult to indicate concepts like time and quantity or to illustrate action.

My recommendation is to try and take some classes, preferably taught by a native signer, but you need to investigate the class first because sometimes you'll have a class that claims to be ASL when it's really just signed English (this seems common at a lot of churches). I suggest making contact with the local Deaf community and asking their advice, or if you know any local interpreters then they might have some suggestions, too.

that is true because you are learn how manner practice expression learn how quality is great is complication lots of you. That is lots of hard work. I learn visible to deaf people and interpreter interpreter is really not easy complication because I think so possible really easy expression and body.

The "Signing Naturally" series is intended to be used as classroom curriculum and is not at all suited for self-learning.

Yes - the series is intended for "in class use" - with an instructor (who leads the class using the teachers guide), however the series also can work well as a supplement to in-person classes(or, online if desperate).

I've both used this series as a student - and helped teach out of them as a Teacher's Assistant (and helping my mum learn/re-learn at home), and provided you have some sort of "real" interaction (a teacher or mentor that can get you started) the SN books&DVD can still be a valuable addition.

For anyone looking into learning ASL - I cannot stress enough how very very important it is to: learn from a real person , find a "peer"(another student or a mentor) to sign with and how important it is to get involved as much as possible in the ASL Dead/Hoh community in your area. It is simply impossible to learn a language from a book or DVD - you may learn vocabulary that way, however to go from "words" to "language" is a step that can really only happen from using the language in it's natural form, which for ASL is signing in-person (or via webcam etc) with others.

Unlike English and many other languages, ASL isn't contained on paper ... there are a number of techniques for preserving the various hand-shapes and movements needed to create a sign ... but it's stilted, artificial and even for a native signer almost always seen as missing critical details.
It is true that English, French and other languages that have both a concrete & natural oral and written form may be learned (in their written form) in part via many many books - however ASL is different in that it is "spoken" via movement and "recorded" not on paper - but video ... the ability to see the language in motion is absolutely critical to not only learning ASL, but also understanding it.

If there's a will, there's a way ... if one is serious about learning ASL they WILL find a way to join a real ASL class, taught by a real teacher - who they can watch and learn from in "real time".
For those facing $$ issues, talk to the place offering the classes about time payments or funding that might be available (especially if you are Hoh/Deaf or have an immediate family member who is). If you are unable to travel to an ASL class due to physical conditions or distance, see if the class can be set up with a high quality webcam(s) so that you can attend class online.

There is ALWAYS a way - often it's just a matter of recognizing how much you want/need to learn ASL and that it's far better to learn properly from day one, than start off "wrong" and spend months or years "backtracking" and unlearning your mistakes (forming signs wrong is VERY common if you're learning them/copy them out of a book, especially if you are just starting out and not fluent in ASL)

If there's a will, there's a way ... if one is serious about learning ASL they WILL find a way to join a real ASL class, taught by a real teacher - who they can watch and learn from in "real time".
For those facing $$ issues, talk to the place offering the classes about time payments or funding that might be available (especially if you are Hoh/Deaf or have an immediate family member who is). If you are unable to travel to an ASL class due to physical conditions or distance, see if the class can be set up with a high quality webcam(s) so that you can attend class online.

There is ALWAYS a way - often it's just a matter of recognizing how much you want/need to learn ASL and that it's far better to learn properly from day one, than start off "wrong" and spend months or years "backtracking" and unlearning your mistakes (forming signs wrong is VERY common if you're learning them/copy them out of a book, especially if you are just starting out and not fluent in ASL)

Well - I beg to differ a little. In my case, I did not qualify (even being total deaf) for any financial aid or help, since I am older, and have 2 teenagers. Hubby also made too much money. With my other issues of being primary caregiver to my mother, I can't just take off for classes, no matter how much I need them. I have joined my local deaf club, and I can only get out to go to deaf movie night once a month, as long as I have money. I did take a short (18 hour) ASL class that turned out to be taught by a hearing person, who is not a certified ASL instructor. He just loves the language. I have no one to practice with except online, and when they can be available for video chats, I am not available since the computer is in the bedroom and hubby goes to bed early since he gets up early.

I practice at home as much as I am able, but I home school 2 teenagers, take care of my mother and my mother-in-law, as well as all the other mundane things like all the housework, errands and making sure hubby is well cared for so he can work.

Back