need some more insight....

A

apathrev

I'm trying to work hard on my fingerspelling, and its just not coming to me. I'm pausing too much and having to think too long about the letters, and its getting to be an embarassment. I asked a coworker of mine how long it took her to be proficient in fingerspelling and reading fingerspelling, and she said it only took her about a month. I've been working at it for 3 months, and I don't feel like I've gotten anywhere with it. She said the best way to practice is to spell out words that you read and to just keep at it. That is what I've been doing. Can anyone give me some advice on how to work on reading and speed?

Another thing I'm curious about it the correct way to sign days of the week. The same coworker today was showing me the signs but she signed them with palms facing inward. Every other single resource I've seen has showed the hand facing outward, away from the body. Is this the correct way, or does it even matter?

Sorry, one more question. Lately, I've been wanting to speed up my lessons. As of now I'm taking a weekly 2 hour class, I am always looking on internet sites and books, but I'm wanting to focus in specific categories at a time. Can anyone reccomend any resources that would help me with this? Websites? Books? I have a copy of "Signing Illustrated" but I'm finding it hard to follow, and I'm already aware of the ASL Pro website. Any other reccomendations?

I cannot help you with websites, since I have been fluent for many years (I am deaf myself since age 10). But days of the week are signed with your palm showing to the "reader". It is not uncommon for some folks to sign "backwards", I do it myself on some words (such as "sorry"). But the appropriate way for days of the week is for your palm to face the other person.

Also, remember that we all have our different little dialects and that is what makes us unique, just like with speech. Do not be afraid to be yourself.

I have noticed over the years that your own personal handwriting has a great deal to do with it. If you have very poorly coordinated handwriting -- sloppy and "slapdash", your fingerspelling will almost always appear the same. I have no idea why!

Many of us "seniors" have arthritis in our fingers which make some letters almost to impossible to create later in life. The letter "E" is one of them.

Be compassionate and flexible!

Cental, about the fingerspelling; instead of thinking of the individual letters of a word, how about trying to spell in the syllables of the words? This will also help you increase your speed. Ex: Cali for nia.....don't think of the individual letters on your hand & in your mind's eye....just try to envision in your mind simultaneously the syllabic make-up of the example above.

When your'e done with that, I'll show ya how to spell cat on one hand and dog on the other-----simultaneously! :thumb:

cental34 said:
Another thing I'm curious about it the correct way to sign days of the week. The same coworker today was showing me the signs but she signed them with palms facing inward. Every other single resource I've seen has showed the hand facing outward, away from the body. Is this the correct way, or does it even matter?
Maybe it is a regional difference. Here (SC) we sign the days of the week with the palm facing the signer (except Sunday). Thursday is signed with the palm facing left (signer's perspective), with the middle finger brushing back and forth under the thumb, and the index finger pointing forward. ASLPRO.com shows the palm facing the signer for the days of the week, similar to how we do it.

"Every-Monday", "every-Tuesday", etc., is signed in a vertical direction, top to bottom, instead of the circular motion, palm facing signer (except Sunday).

Tousi said:
Cental, about the fingerspelling; instead of thinking of the individual letters of a word, how about trying to spell in the syllables of the words? This will also help you increase your speed. Ex: Cali for nia.....don't think of the individual letters on your hand & in your mind's eye....just try to envision in your mind simultaneously the syllabic make-up of the example above.
Yep. It also helps to practice spelling short one-syllable words or word parts as a unit, almost a shape of its own. It includes not just the shape of the letters but also the transition from one shape to the next. Examples:

car
cat
dog
club
it
as
so
hat

ing
ed
th
wh
st
pre
ck
er

Tousi said:

When your'e done with that, I'll show ya how to spell cat on one hand and dog on the other-----simultaneously! :thumb:

Thanks for the tip! I practiced that alot today while at work and it really did make it alot easier. This whole time I've been trying to tack words as a whole, and I just keep getting lost. An interpreter reccomended trying to sound out the words along with fingerspelling them. I've tried this and I just can't get the hang of it.

Now my worry is reading fingerspelling. Any advice?

For fingerspelling, a great website to check out is asl.ms, it is short and sweet, and has different levels appropriate for just about everyone. If you use it enough you start to get repeat words, but other than that, it's really good!
I originally learned the days of the week facing out, then in, then I starting really chatting with deafies here and I see both, but I sign the days of the week with the palm facing in. We sign Thursday with an "h" or occasionally a quick "t" and then "h" and it is otherwise signed the same way as Monday through Saturday.
Like Reba said, practicing combinations of words you use a lot can really help. Like with "ush" you can think of all the 4 letter words that end with the "ush" like - bush, cush, gush, hush, mush, push, rush, tush,... BUT, sometimes it is better to only practice letter combos where the words sound the same. like "dear, fear, gear" in one list and "bear, wear" in another.
My ASL 1 teacher gave us lists like this to practice, and it really made a huge difference! Warning you though, whethere or not you use the lists, once you get used to spelling certain combinations, (and after really learning and using sign, you will) when you have to do a different combination, your hand doesn't always want to cooperate. (i.e. mint, u "oops" say ming because u r used to the "ing") Some hand movements just are easier and/or feel more natual than others, and it can make for some very interesting spelling.
Also, although I know you aren't there yet, REALLY skilled signers get to the point they can send and recieve words with "dropped" letters (mostly vowels) as long as they keep the shape of the word the same. But for now, just focus on getting all the letters..lol.
Also, the interpreter was right... it is good for hearing students to connect fingerspelling to syllables. When you are reading it, sound out the whole word, not each letter. For example, the word communication. If you are reading a slowly fingerspelled word and the person says " c-o-m-m-u-n..." by the time you get to the first 'n' you will have forgotten the 'c'. Instead, say "cohm-youn-ehh-kay-shun" (haha, webster would kill me for that one). As for connecting it to when you fingerspell, I guess that makes sense.

your hand doesn't always want to cooperate. (i.e. mint, u "oops" say ming because u r used to the "ing")
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
clear this up.. Not put U down..
When we use ASL... we do not use FS "ing" words.. Take if I say
I'm going to store... Or I went to the store... depend where grammer word "Go" sign.. ppl know u went to store.. U are going...
I post othr brds how learn use speach me words came out ASL...
Me store too... LMAO just read othr brd prsn claims this means Im going to the store.. No... Im going to the store sign.. There store me...
me store too..means differnet...
now where do word "go" fit sign words..
We do not sign... me go [then fingerspell "ing"] store... depend the grammer how we kow what persn says...

There words we fingerspell.... when u start hang out w/othr Deaf ppl... U will undstnad what word fingerspell.. u will be keep up w/ others... unless u hear w/ ur ears not eyes! ur eyes most imprt chat w/ ppl...
When sit table 14 ppl chat... frist time U be surprize everyone keep up w/chat.. U lost 3 persn chat.... After ur 10 time keep go dinner.. U see new persn that is just same U frist 10 times... U feel good !.. U can now keep up.. Chat right w/ us...

good luck
LMM

It is not uncommon for some folks to sign "backwards", I do it myself on some words (such as "sorry").
Lat
ppl sign word backward when chat me... me know they learn sign from books or now net... Why... they see words backwards from book or net...
Ppl who learn from class or deaf ppl themself not have this trouble.. Unless persn do not care !
advice too do not try read sign finerspell mirror... Very wrong...
U need be care U know U sign word backward can mean something else...
this how many ppl get bad habit chat ASL...
Hope u stop ur bad habit ...

LMM

Just to be clear: the correct way to do the days is palm facing yourself for 6 out of the 7 days. For Sunday the palms face out.

signer16 said:
For fingerspelling, a great website to check out is asl.ms, it is short and sweet, and has different levels appropriate for just about everyone. If you use it enough you start to get repeat words, but other than that, it's really good!
I originally learned the days of the week facing out, then in, then I starting really chatting with deafies here and I see both, but I sign the days of the week with the palm facing in. We sign Thursday with an "h" or occasionally a quick "t" and then "h" and it is otherwise signed the same way as Monday through Saturday.
Like Reba said, practicing combinations of words you use a lot can really help. Like with "ush" you can think of all the 4 letter words that end with the "ush" like - bush, cush, gush, hush, mush, push, rush, tush,... BUT, sometimes it is better to only practice letter combos where the words sound the same. like "dear, fear, gear" in one list and "bear, wear" in another.
My ASL 1 teacher gave us lists like this to practice, and it really made a huge difference! Warning you though, whethere or not you use the lists, once you get used to spelling certain combinations, (and after really learning and using sign, you will) when you have to do a different combination, your hand doesn't always want to cooperate. (i.e. mint, u "oops" say ming because u r used to the "ing") Some hand movements just are easier and/or feel more natual than others, and it can make for some very interesting spelling.
Also, although I know you aren't there yet, REALLY skilled signers get to the point they can send and recieve words with "dropped" letters (mostly vowels) as long as they keep the shape of the word the same. But for now, just focus on getting all the letters..lol.
Also, the interpreter was right... it is good for hearing students to connect fingerspelling to syllables. When you are reading it, sound out the whole word, not each letter. For example, the word communication. If you are reading a slowly fingerspelled word and the person says " c-o-m-m-u-n..." by the time you get to the first 'n' you will have forgotten the 'c'. Instead, say "cohm-youn-ehh-kay-shun" (haha, webster would kill me for that one). As for connecting it to when you fingerspell, I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for the link. site looks similar to ASL Pro's fingerspelling quiz, but with a "deaf" speed :giggle: . I'm sure I'll get some good use out of it. :ty:

I've started fingerspelling anything and everything. If I see a sign on the road I fingerspell it. If I see a license plate, I fingerspell it. Which I'm noticing a big improviement since I started doing this. I am breaking up the syllables, but I'm still having a hard time sounding them out.

LMM said:
your hand doesn't always want to cooperate. (i.e. mint, u "oops" say ming because u r used to the "ing")
When we use ASL... we do not use FS "ing" words.. Take if I say
I'm going to store... Or I went to the store... depend where grammer word "Go" sign.. ppl know u went to store.. U are going...
I post othr brds how learn use speach me words came out ASL...
Me store too... LMAO just read othr brd prsn claims this means Im going to the store.. No... Im going to the store sign.. There store me...
me store too..means differnet...
now where do word "go" fit sign words..
We do not sign... me go [then fingerspell "ing"] store... depend the grammer how we kow what persn says...

There words we fingerspell.... when u start hang out w/othr Deaf ppl... U will undstnad what word fingerspell.. u will be keep up w/ others... unless u hear w/ ur ears not eyes! ur eyes most imprt chat w/ ppl...
When sit table 14 ppl chat... frist time U be surprize everyone keep up w/chat.. U lost 3 persn chat.... After ur 10 time keep go dinner.. U see new persn that is just same U frist 10 times... U feel good !.. U can now keep up.. Chat right w/ us...

good luck
LMM

I know that there tenses are not used, such as -ing and -ed. I've read about that it is unnecessary to include such words as at, to, etc. And I'm sure common sense would tell me to just keep sentences simple enough to where your point is understood. Such as if I were to say "I am bored." I would sign "I bore." But if I were to sign "I am boring." I would sign "Me talk bore." Is this correct.

I don't know that many deaf locals, here in Memphis. Only my ASL instructor, and a coworker of mine that knows sign. But I am picking up signs quickly, and looking to chat.

LMM said:
It is not uncommon for some folks to sign "backwards", I do it myself on some words (such as "sorry").
Lat
ppl sign word backward when chat me... me know they learn sign from books or now net... Why... they see words backwards from book or net...
Ppl who learn from class or deaf ppl themself not have this trouble.. Unless persn do not care !
advice too do not try read sign finerspell mirror... Very wrong...
U need be care U know U sign word backward can mean something else...
this how many ppl get bad habit chat ASL...
Hope u stop ur bad habit ...

LMM

Our instructor actually recommended we practice in the mirror, if we had, too, but I've never depended on this. When someone is fingerspellng to me, though, I have to ask to slow down and repeat at times.

When it comes to signing the days of the week, I think I'm more comfortable signing them facing inwards. If I were to meet someone knew who could sign, would they still likely recognize these signs if I were to do them backwards?

cental34 said:
I've started fingerspelling anything and everything. If I see a sign on the road I fingerspell it. If I see a license plate, I fingerspell it. Which I'm noticing a big improviement since I started doing this. I am breaking up the syllables, but I'm still having a hard time sounding them out.

That reminded me of one incident when I was driving up north on freeway 15 when I caught this female driver fingerspelling with one hand while driving (mind you, she was like half a mile ahead of me!). Her fingers were long and got long nails so it was easy to see her flicking her fingers around. I tried to speed up behind her car to see what she was fingerspelling. I couldn't make sense of her but it looked like she was repeating the fingerspelling of a certain word. F--R--W--S something...
oh it just struck me-- maybe she was fingerspelling "freeways"??? Who knows...
My exit was coming up so I left that woman practicing on the F--R--W--S...

:) so be wary of those Deaf spys on the roads! I know, I am one of them.

gnarlydorkette said:
That reminded me of one incident when I was driving up north on freeway 15 when I caught this female driver fingerspelling with one hand while driving (mind you, she was like half a mile ahead of me!). Her fingers were long and got long nails so it was easy to see her flicking her fingers around. I tried to speed up behind her car to see what she was fingerspelling. I couldn't make sense of her but it looked like she was repeating the fingerspelling of a certain word. F--R--W--S something...
oh it just struck me-- maybe she was fingerspelling "freeways"??? Who knows...
My exit was coming up so I left that woman practicing on the F--R--W--S...

:) so be wary of those Deaf spys on the roads! I know, I am one of them.

I ain't worried. I spent 3 hours last night fingerspelling whatever words came my way in a van full of 12 people. No one even had a clue what I was doing. :thumb:

LMM said:
When we use ASL... we do not use FS "ing" words.

Thank you LMM for responding so nicely. I actually didn't mean the "ing" words like- going, crying, dying.. etc. I mean more like "ring, sing, boring, etc."

LMM said:

good luck
LMM

The biggest problem I have is keeping up with everyone in a group signing ASL. It takes me a sec to realize who is talking next, and if u miss a couple of signs, as a student especially, it can really throw you off. I think it is really interesting that it is the biggest problem for deafies with a group of hearies and a hearie with a group of deafies. There is a cultural difference in how turn-taking is done, but with both, you have to be fluent and totally understand the language being used for it to really work.

cental34 said:
Our instructor actually recommended we practice in the mirror, if we had, too, but I've never depended on this. When someone is fingerspellng to me, though, I have to ask to slow down and repeat at times.
Fingerspelling to yourself in the mirror doesn't help you with your receptive skills for a couple of reasons. First, you already know the word being said... you can't trick yourself. Secondly, if you are right handed, u r reading a leftie's fingerspelling in the mirror. Especially for students, they can get thrown off. The only thing I do think signing in the mirror will do is help you catch your errors.

cental34 said:
When it comes to signing the days of the week, I think I'm more comfortable signing them facing inwards. If I were to meet someone knew who could sign, would they still likely recognize these signs if I were to do them backwards?
Fluent signers usually understand a lot of sign variations. The longer you have been signing, and the more people you have signed with, the easier it is to understand variations. Just as each speaking person has a different voice, each signer does as well. Family members tend to sign or speak similarly, and communities tend to speak/sign with the same accent. ASL students often have trouble with variations because they have learned it NE WAY, and feel confused when they see another way. Also, students don't know what variationss are acceptable or unacceptable in their area and/or the general deaf community.

cental34 said:
I spent 3 hours last night fingerspelling whatever words came my way in a van full of 12 people. No one even had a clue what I was doing.
Most deaf people and fluent hearing signers I know do this a lot. When they see an unfamiliar word somewhere, or are simply bored, they tend to fingerspell, it is much like talking under your breath. Fingerspelling or otherwise, I tend to talk to myself more in sign than speech, it totally freaks out my deaf roommate, hehe. Also, whenever I am in a boring class or watching a tv show/movie that is really boring, I tend to interpret in my head. I know a few other deaf studies majors who do this, and it really can make life more interesting, lol.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but there is a book called A Basic Course in Sign Language, it is what the colleges around here use. They break the book down into lessons and the lessons are all on a topic. States, verbs, etc.. it also has a different syntax rule with each lesson. I still have mine and use it for reference, it also has a work book that you can purchase separately that follows the book and gives you activities to do.

As far as fingerspelling, it really can take a long time to really be proficient at it. It is something that a lot interpreters struggle with. There are countless workshops and classes held for interpreters just to work on this issue. Don't let it bring you down. It will come with practice. Another thing that I hear often is that for non native signers, the hardest thing is reception in general, so know that you are not alone, and just practice.

By the way, if you decide to do something with the ABCSL book, let me know. I have accompanying videos from when I was in the ITP program around here somewhere, I would be happy to loan them to you.

cental34 said:

Most of the time, depending on what you mean by "backwards"

signer16 said:
I actually didn't mean the "ing" words like- going, crying, dying.. etc. I mean more like "ring, sing, boring, etc."
bINGo!

I mean, correct! :)

fling
sting
zing
bling-bling
swing
ka-ching

proper names:
Ming (the Dynasty)
Ping (the duck)
Ring (as used in a title such as "Ring of Thieves")
Sing Sing (prison)

For practice in a group, make lists of proper names that would be fingerspelled. Cut the words out, put them in an envelope. Write the category of the words on the envelope (car models, cities, sports, medical terms, restaurants, rivers, etc.). Each person takes turns taking one slip of paper out of the envelope and fingerspelling it. The rest of the group has to guess the word.

Have each member of the group create a separate topic envelope so the contents will be "secret" from the other members.

Back