Need info on Hearing Dogs!!!

Might want to try these two links, if you haven't already.

Yahoo! Groups

sdog.danawheels.net/servprog.shtml

The second one is a link to a program that provides dogs.

Hope this helped a little.

Aquaman,

Dude... Do you crate your dog? Just wondering about it. I understand that crate training is a new tool in training dogs lately.

BTW, the next packet of the application packet is on the way. Yah!!! I got a message from CCI that it is on its way to my home. Pah!!!

I am itching to get the process started.

You are supposed to always have a crate available for a CCI dog. You will get one with your dog if you and your dog graduate from CCI. It's included in the minor fees associated with getting your dog, and you can buy more at an excellent price if you want to have more than one available.

I went overboard and got three. :giggle:

A crate is a "safe place" for your dog to go to. When your dog is in there, he/she is to be left alone and he/she is not expected to work. Typically if there's work to do be done, he/she will still come out of the crate to work anyways. It's where he/she will go if it feels overwhelmed or wants to be left alone. it is also a place you can send your dog to if you do not want him/her underfoot (moving, events in house, etc) I kept a crate in my classroom, on the deck and in the living room for mine for a year. She never once used it and I observed that she associates the crate with being restricted which is something she does not like. So now they all sit in a garage gathering dust.

My recommendation is to just take the ONE that you are given and see if your dog will use it. If not, don't make the same mistake I did and waste money. If yes, I am sure CCI will let you buy more from them at a later date.

-Aquaman

P.S. I'm still hoping to hear from the SPCA crowd - anybody out there?

Yea, I thought of that.

Maybe' no one on this blog "owns" a hearing dog from SPCA.

(Checking the snail mail box for the packet from CCI)

Yah!!!

I finally got the packet!!! Gonna fill this out and mail it out tomorrow!!!

What is this? This info is suggesting that I bring a friend with me to the two week training session. Some kind of personal assistant? Is this required?

Not required, but I strongly recommend it. I sent you a PM about that, Woofy.

-Aquaman

That's not really a good reason. They are trained to help deaf people who really need them, not so that they can be provided for free for entertainment.

That's not really a good reason. They are trained to help deaf people who really need them, not so that they can be provided for free for entertainment.

Deafies who want hearing dogs have to pay several hundred for one. It isn't free.

Deafies who want hearing dogs have to pay several hundred for one. It isn't free.
Then, why do you want a hearing dog?

Why don't you just get a regular dog from a pet store?

Then, why do you want a hearing dog?

Why don't you just get a regular dog from a pet store?

I could get a regular dog from a breeder if I wanted to.

I chose to apply and try to get a hearing dog that has been already trained by professionals.

I feel that if I tried to train a dog to be a hearing dog on my own, I wouldn't succeed. It would be unethical for me to take my regular dog to public places that has not been trained professionally.

So, I would like to get a professional hearing dog that can behave and do its job. That I have the confidence to take the dog to public places, especially to my classes.

I could get a regular dog from a breeder if I wanted to.

yes breeders especially Reputable breeders not backyard breeders, puppy mills, and certainly NOT the pet shops

I chose to apply and try to get a hearing dog that has been already trained by professionals.

well good for you

I feel that if I tried to train a dog to be a hearing dog on my own, I wouldn't succeed. It would be unethical for me to take my regular dog to public places that has not been trained professionally.

So, I would like to get a professional hearing dog that can behave and do its job. That I have the confidence to take the dog to public places, especially to my classes.

I sometimes thinks its unethical for hearing people to tell us what to do, or even demand demonstrations or to verify, to me , depending on how good you are with dogs, intentions, dedication to train, how much do you know about training yada and if you're good, there no reason why you can't have a self trained hearing dogs and according to the ADA laws it is unlawful (in america) for hearing people to boss you around or challenge you on the validity of your Hearing dog.

By principle, i think it should be like this all over the world, providing the deaf person in mind IS competent and has studied and works hard to train their hearing dogs, the question of how sound that persons mind to do it for themself and assume full responsibility is dare i say debatable, and this is to say I am NOT in anyway saying deaf people should be discouraged, just its a Very difficult one to address to somehow lay down a foundation of rules when , after alot of people have messed up 'trust' for deaf people to have their own hearing dogs. Or for the matter, anyone with any kinds of dogs, since dog attacks being another big "Anti-canine" issue rampant on the public lobby fronts for quite a while now)

Hearing dogs are no more expensive than HAVING your Own dogs if this was self-trained otherwise. I would think in pure economic terms, hearing dogs is much cheaper than lights, alarms, special equip this or that, and its nice to know it hurt hearings peoples employment hehe by slashing the demands for their useless products. but heh each to their own....

Most hearing dogs are small dogs, usually mutts of sorts from SPCA, not so much because of their 'desirable size' but more on the ability to react to sounds and alot of other attribute like temperments of various sorts, one being that they are not lazy.

MOST deaf people who trains / have hearing dogs Don't have it just for FUN or gimicks, just a few might be stupid enough to do so otherwise.
Over generalisation is dangerous talk.

Also on the other hand, becuase of various reasons such as 'separation anxiety' , or 'cost involved in a programme trained dogs' its the 'Hearing Dog programme organisation whose Made Stupid rules and thrust it upon deaf people, like 'do not like your dog home alone for more than 2 hours', im serious , they DO have dumb rules like this, (dogs can handle up to 6-8hours on its own all depending on breed, personality, age, and your self and relationship with the dog) it varies.

sorry back to the point, since rules are 'hard are severely restrictive' it forced the Deaf recipents to take their everywhere , like it or not, and often its the hearing people who's jealous or misunderstand or simply loathe dogs, MAINLY because hearing dogs are reactive dogs, they do fit the mould of a sedate guide dogs for the blind that blend in to the background. people fit it annoying as it gives an image of an untrained, out-of-control dog. I'd cut it here its can get really complicated to go in length about what exactly are hearing dogs, they are NOT made, hearing dogs are Born. it is rare, for all I can say.

In simplest view, it is a two-fold issue there, 1) public awareness and 2) stupid rules

Woofy, I noticed you are from SF, GO and find the lady Martha Hoffman, she'd set you right with training a hearing dog , she is CLUED UP.

:)

I sometimes thinks its unethical for hearing people to tell us what to do, or even demand demonstrations or to verify, to me , depending on how good you are with dogs, intentions, dedication to train, how much do you know about training yada and if you're good, there no reason why you can't have a self trained hearing dogs and according to the ADA laws it is unlawful (in america) for hearing people to boss you around or challenge you on the validity of your Hearing dog.

Most hearing dogs are small dogs, usually mutts of sorts from SPCA, not so much because of their 'desirable size' but more on the ability to react to sounds and alot of other attribute like temperments of various sorts, one being that they are not lazy.

MOST deaf people who train/have hearing dogs don't have it just for FUN or gimicks, just a few might be stupid enough to do so otherwise.

I was asked once for a demonstration, after that there weren't any more questions. I was also asked to talk about my dog for another presentation, which was really nice. I don't do demonstrations, as we're not a circus act.

I don't believe in programs, as they are the ones that want the current ADA laws changed to force all service/hearing dogs to go through their program and damn the rest, which means that if you don't have a service/hearing dog from a program, the dog will not be allowed into any business. No sorry about it, but, my dog will continue to come with me. If people don't like it, they can either sue me or have me arrested.

My dog, Snickers, is Akita and German Shepherd. She does an outstanding job and yes, she is a humane society rescue from Minnesota, where we live.

In addition, there was a problem a few weeks ago when I was in a rest area shortly before midnight in Alabama. The old man there wanted to know, even screaming at me, why and what the dog is for; I did tell him the dog was a service dog. I replied that it's not his business. Needless to say, he almost climbed over his desk to hit me. Wherever I go, I find that the southern states are very against service dogs or anyone who has a disability or hearing loss. Some are even downright hostile.

Did you try to click on it twice? Click once won't work for me either but twice as always does it!

Hello,

I tried clicking on the videos. It didn't seem to work. Maybe, my computer isn't working correctly?

Woofy

I was asked once for a demonstration, after that there weren't any more questions. I was also asked to talk about my dog for another presentation, which was really nice. I don't do demonstrations, as we're not a circus act.

I don't believe in programs, as they are the ones that want the current ADA laws changed to force all service/hearing dogs to go through their program and damn the rest, which means that if you don't have a service/hearing dog from a program, the dog will not be allowed into any business. No sorry about it, but, my dog will continue to come with me. If people don't like it, they can either sue me or have me arrested.

My dog, Snickers, is Akita and German Shepherd. She does an outstanding job and yes, she is a humane society rescue from Minnesota, where we live.

In addition, there was a problem a few weeks ago when I was in a rest area shortly before midnight in Alabama. The old man there wanted to know, even screaming at me, why and what the dog is for; I did tell him the dog was a service dog. I replied that it's not his business. Needless to say, he almost climbed over his desk to hit me. Wherever I go, I find that the southern states are very against service dogs or anyone who has a disability or hearing loss. Some are even downright hostile.

Do you have a picture of that your dog? Could you post it? An Akita/German Shepherd cross sounds like a good mix.

Woofy

Did you try to click on it twice? Click once won't work for me either but twice as always does it!

Thanks for the suggestion... But it didn't work. Guess my computer don't have the right program to run it. Oh well...

Back