Nation Marks 10th Anniversary of Oklahoma Bombing

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY (April 19) - A moment of silence, one second for each victim. On each chair, a yellow ribbon. Political leaders, survivors and victims' family members planned to gather Tuesday for a ceremony at the site of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, 10 years after it was destroyed in the worst act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history.

Vice President Dick Cheney and former President Bill Clinton also were scheduled to speak at the event commemorating the deadly attack on American soil. Clinton was president when Timothy McVeigh's truck bomb blew off the north side of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people and injuring hundreds more.

McVeigh was convicted of federal conspiracy and murder charges and executed on June 11, 2001. Conspirator Terry Nichols is serving multiple life sentences on federal and state charges.

Jenny Parsley, who seldom visits the memorial on the grounds of the destroyed federal office building, planned to attend Tuesday's ceremony. The memorial site consists of 168 chairs that represent each person who died in the blast.

"I knew most of the people killed," Parsley said. "I lost a lot of good friends, too many."

Her decision to go in late on April 19, 1995, saved her from the blast that killed 35 people in the Housing and Urban Development office where Parsley worked.

"My workday began at 7 a.m. and I had a doctor's appointment at 10 a.m., so I could have worked for almost three hours, but for some reason I decided to go in after my appointment," she said. "I got up early that morning and got dressed and got ready to go to work and just decided not to go."

McVeigh's fertilizer and fuel-oil bomb went off at 9:02 a.m.

Parsley, 57, was driving her car and noticed thick black smoke over downtown. She thought it was a fire at a tire plant until she turned on the radio and heard that it was the federal building.

She drove to her husband's office and discovered that her college-age son also was there. Both her husband and son thought she was in the building when the bomb exploded.

"They were crying," she said. "When I got there, I just fell apart."

Parsley and fellow employees returned to work at a different building in Oklahoma City. When the new federal building was dedicated last year, near the bombing site, Parsley took early retirement.

Joseph Allbaugh, the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was chief of staff for then-Texas Gov. George Bush during the Oklahoma City bombing. Allbaugh, a Blackwell native who lived and worked in Oklahoma City for 17 years, said he lost a lot of friends in the bombing.

"Yes, it was a terrible day," he said. "We will always celebrate those 168 lives and you'll be glad to know the city and the state have rebounded ... Life does go on."

Jon Hansen, an assistant fire chief at the time of the blast, was preparing for a meeting at a fire station five blocks west of the federal building when the bomb went off.

"It shook our building," he said. "We looked to the east and saw an enormous mushroom cloud.

"We drove toward the building and I'll never forget how when we topped the hill with the sun low in the east, the street and sidewalks just glistened with broken glass."

AOL News:http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050419042309990003

If wanted to see their National Memorial area... Click the link below. ;)
http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/

I vaguely remember the OK city bombing....what I really remember is the national moment of silence....that really struck me....the concept of an entire nation being totally silenet!

Yes, I sure remembered the Oklahoma City bombing story where there were a daycare center in the federal building, and killed those little children inculding many people that were in that building also...I remember the front page of the newspaper where a cop was carry a bloody little boy in his hand, it was soo heartbroken by feeling so helpless by not being able to save those innocent small children , I kept seeing the picture running through my mind for days, even now when this story was brought up, It was really a sad day when this had happened and still is after the years gone by....I shall remember those 168 lives inculding children that were killed during the Oklahoma City bombing...May they rest in peace and always will be remembered.... :tears:

Let's dig up McVeigh and put him to sleep again!

LOL Tousi, that would be really nice, maybe we could blow him up into pieces and bbq his bones and feed them to the dogs!!

Someone better let the dogs out!

What???? Today is 10th anniversity???? That's pretty fast time for me. I will never forget about what happened even though I was young that time it happened, I still can remember about what happened and everything.

dang 10 years already, I would never forget this moment because I was at college when the college got bomb threat at same time okla federal building blew up. I went home since cant get in classes and I saw it on news and it really striking me that it could happen at college just like that. I sit and watch news all day and crying see those people got hurt and killed. Ah yes angel I remmy seeing that fireman carrying a little boy.

^Angel^ said:
I remember the front page of the newspaper where a cop was carry a bloody little boy in his hand,

It wasn't a cop it was a fireman carried out a little girl, I know her name too, Her name is Baylee Almon.

^Angel^ said:
LOL Tousi, that would be really nice, maybe we could blow him up into pieces and bbq his bones and feed them to the dogs!!

Someone better let the dogs out!

:rofl: I agree with ^angel^

I am going to Oklahoma in June, will see the National Memorial area, I read that we not allow to bring our camera inside. awwww Darn it! :mrgreen:

I went there three yrs ago it was extremely touchy and i couldn't belive it i was in tears when i left it was just chilling!

javapride said:
I went there three yrs ago it was extremely touchy and i couldn't belive it i was in tears when i left it was just chilling!

Aww I bet, It would happen to me too I know it...I am very sensitive when it comes to going to a place or area where people have lost their lives that day, It happened when I went to see Terri at the nursing home and New York City looked at the site from 9/11. Very sad, and very emotion.

:werd: i know what you mean, i went to the 9/11 site... and im forunte to be alive today but those who fell, thier the heros cuz they just tried to help america be what we are today. safe but angry still.

Cheri said:
I am going to Oklahoma in June, will see the National Memorial area, I read that we not allow to bring our camera inside. awwww Darn it! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to meeting you in Oklahoma!!!! :hug: I went to jr. high school only two blocks from Murray Federal building back in 1972 to 1975. I visited my old jr high school a few months after the bomb and saw that some of the windows had exploded through from the bomb. I cried with huge lump in my throat at National Memorial area when I saw pictures of children that was in daycare moments the same day they died in bomb. They looked so happy at that time.

Peachy Lady said:
Looking forward to meeting you in Oklahoma!!!! :hug: .

Me too!!!! :hug: It would be so excite to finally meet a nice, sweet woman like yourself. :ily:

wow, oh yes, I remember about those sad condition but 10 years.... wow, it´s really fast.. I feel it´s 5 years ago but 10 years???

I remember from saw the news on the Tv. Very sad...

Cheri said:
It wasn't a cop it was a fireman carried out a little girl, I know her name too, Her name is Baylee Almon.

Ten years ago?? Wow!

Baylee's mom remarried and has two more kids. I can't look at that picture without getting choked up.

My father grew up near OKC and was on the phone for days trying to find out if he knew anyone. No one in the family was hurt, just upset about what happened.

ITPjohn said:
Ten years ago?? Wow!

Baylee's mom remarried and has two more kids. I can't look at that picture without getting choked up.

My father grew up near OKC and was on the phone for days trying to find out if he knew anyone. No one in the family was hurt, just upset about what happened.

yep 1 son and 1 daughter.

Back