NASCAR: steering wheel question

Buffalo

Reaction score
I was watching 'Herbie: Fully Loaded' and the racers at NASCAR have to attach their steering wheel to the steering column at the start of a race. My question is why do they have to do that???? I mean why remove the steering wheel in the first place and then put it back at the start of the race.

Because the internal space is very tight, plus safety equipment takes up a little more room, they need to remove it to get in and out of the vehicle.

Safety feature. Sine there is no door that is openable therefore the steering wheel has to be a detachable type to allow entry and exit of a race car.

and that steering wheel is very expensive and high-tech - I think it costs $5,000+??

F1's steering wheel is more expensive than NASCAR.

Really awful if pop steering wheel out by accident during racing....(crash)

and that steering wheel is very expensive and high-tech - I think it costs $5,000+??
Wow... hate to say there are no such thing that much anywhere...execpt for computer screen that attach on it cost only good anywhere from 600 to 1200 bucks and for that kind of steering wheels that NASCAR use you can buy from Jegs here is
Steering Wheels and Components

Last edited:
That should be a perfect anti-theft device! No one can steal the car without a steering wheel, unless it was being towed away. I could detach it and take it with me. ;)

It's for several reasons...

Since racing cars don't have doors that open and close, drivers have to enter and exit through the window.

In order to make it easier for the driver to be in full control, they have to make the seating area as compact as possible... less movement and better control.

With those two things above, the steering wheel will be in the way. That's why it's removable.

One last thing... if there's an emergency, they can simply pop it off and the driver get out easily. :)

Back