Name Signs In BSL or ASL?

Krissy

Reaction score
How do people find out what their name signs are?
I'm just wondering because on Switched at Birth where they do name signs it looks really nice and it looks (personally to me) a lot better than fingerspelling names :)
Like the sign for Bay is beautiful
My name is Kristina so it's a longer name to fingerspell too lol
Thanks in advance
x

Who assigns it to you?

someone in the Deaf Community. Normally a sign name takes a while to get, people watch to see how you act, who you are, and that you are going to stick around before they give you a sign name.

I havent been assigned a sign name lOL Im sure somebody will give me one, one day

I recently got given a sign name by a Deaf person - I felt very honoured

I got my name sign from someone here on AD and after mentioning it to the Deaf church, after a few weeks, they approved of it and said it was perfect.

Yes, my name is Kristina as well and my sign name is "shy" with a "K".

Mine is the letter M touching my heart twice. Maybe someone else will give me a different one in the future. Have I deserved a sign name yet on AD? Be nice:)

I got my name sign from someone here on AD and after mentioning it to the Deaf church, after a few weeks, they approved of it and said it was perfect.

Yes, my name is Kristina as well and my sign name is "shy" with a "K".

Awww that's so cute :)
And it makes me feel slightly odd looking at your name, my surname begins with a B too :P lol
x

funny i am very involved with deaf world all my life. i have no sign name. LOL

I told them my name is S.A.M. in sign... "Sexy awesome man"

I have never been given a sign name despite growing up with D/deaf people :/ but most people sign D-Y-L (short for Dylan) which is pretty quick...although i'd love to have a sign name lol!!!

Dyl :)

Hm. I chose my sign name when I was younger. "Horse" because I liked horses. It doesn't match up to my personality/likes now but I've never been inclined to change it.

It might be different in other places, (it seems lots of people were assigned there's!?) but when I joined the deaf community, they chatted to me about my likes and dislikes and, well, horse it was. They considered some other signs with me, but I liked that best.

Waiting around to be assigned one otherwise would have been foolish as many of the other children weren't able to spell well enough, plus effort, lol.

I should add that my mother was given one at a later date, but she didn't really keep it and kept to an abbreviated fingerspelling.

My sign name is the letter "c" tapped on the shoulder and out like the word for "brave".
It was given to me back in grade 2 by the deaf students (this was before y hearing loss was diagnosed) and an interpreter.
It came about because I stood up to the bully in our grade.
My name starts with C.

Back