Name sign

Historyfreak

Reaction score
What is your name sign? Mine is "H on the Lips"-- my name is Hilary and it's on the lips 'cause I talk all the time! I acquired it when I was around 11 or 12 years old at a camp for the disabled where there were a lot of Deaf children. I have used that name sign ever since.

One Deaf lady at church thought my name sign was because I smiled all the time, and I let her think so. I don't sign very well, and I couldn't remember how to tell her it was otherwise!

Hi Hilary -- Mine is the sign for "joy/happy" and "drama" with the "K" -- because my middle name is Joy, and I have a flair for drama ;) My childhood friend always called me that growing up, and that's my offical name sign.

K on the cheek. No idea why because it was created by a hearing teacher who taught deaf/hh children back in preschool days (in middle of 80's where SEE is very strong in the public education) but later in my childhood, people were making fun of my namesign to be of the fact that i was "chubby" (one of the interp. called me Cabbage PAtch Kid... *SO cruel, i hated him ever since and gave him the cold shoulder every time i see him*) but later in my teenager years, people assumed because I have freckles on my cheeks and i told them the source of my name sign and they said it was probably because any name sign on cheek were considered as "professional/approriate" signs to use according to the sign language books back in 80s (they considered only name signs on cheek, shoulder or in the air as REAL name signs... any thing else than that are just make-believe and shouldn't use because it discouraged the seriousness of one's name.... that is what the book was saying)... i never thought to change it because.. [shrug] what else can one call me??? (one suggestion was K on nose as if one is saying "PENIS" because i have to pee all the times, back in the highschool days when i drank three bottles of water DAILY....oy. folks can be cruel.)

Last edited:
Mine's a 'D' --move the 'd' from left shoulder and down to right hip.. I've had this name sign since 7th grade...I changed my old sign to that one because the old sign looked like 'fuck' when I signed my name...'d' and do it as if you were saying fuck. :o

One hand palm and another hand "T" put together and move forth.
Likely "owing" ehhehe

I loves owing my peoples for fun revenage.. sorta of little prank.. ((chuckles))
They knows me well.. when They started named me and when I was 10 yrs old and grade 5. ((Wricked laugh))~ :twisted:

Actually I have two...

Missy - *miss* sign, going down to a Y. Cuz I keep disappearing...lolz.

DreamDeaf - *dream* sign, with a D and going down to chin, keeping the D sign all the way.

Smiles!
DD

me.. umm... don't Laugh..

my sign name fingerspelling as "ER" smile :D cuz people tease me about emerency room.. soo.. also it's my first name and last name prefix.

Back