My son is getting a CI

Good Luck Elliott and Elliott's dad, I don't regret my decision in having a CI.

CI had not stopped me from high level horse riding (I events, hunts, trains race horses), high level yacht racing, climbing (with/without harness/hat), skiing double black runs/off piste, many, many other sports.

MOST recreational dives doesn't go further than 25m.

You hunt horses??? :shock:

Just kidding.

Man, I usually love my life.....but after reading your hobbies I think my stupid life sucks :(

Hey wait is that beer? ....nevermind....carry on. :lol:

Man, I usually love my life.....but after reading your hobbies I think my stupid life sucks :(

Hey wait is that beer? ....nevermind....carry on. :lol:

I always have the same inadequate feeling after reading OTP's adventures :) The beer helps make it go away :cheers: .

Elliot is only three right? I know it's kind of long distance (although not REALLY long distance when you're talking about regional dhh ed programs where you would sometimes have kids traveling an hour or so) but on the other hand, it might be a really awesome placement. Remember, he really likes the Signing Time.....that's a sign that he would really love being in a Deaf Ed program, as opposed to a general special ed program or a public school program with minima accomondations.
Maybe a good idea might be to see if he could try out the program for a week or so......I really think many parents are unaware of how good formal dhh ed programs can be. It really might be something very useful for him....other dhh kids (which is very important...I remember when I thought I was the only hoh kid in the universe) , learning ASL, speech therapists who are familiar and experianced with working dhh kids, and a lot of other pros

But here, Elliot's Dad: Helmets and cochlear implants « I look so I can hear….

now that shouldn't stop your son from playing sports.

Thanks, that is a cool site!

We've been half-joking about getting him a helmet to wear on a daily basis he hits his head so much. I know with EVA's its not good to hit your head but Elliott has one speed (Fast) and rarely pays attention to what he is doing. He is lucky to walk through a doorway without hitting his head!

Thanks, that is a cool site!

We've been half-joking about getting him a helmet to wear on a daily basis he hits his head so much. I know with EVA's its not good to hit your head but Elliott has one speed (Fast) and rarely pays attention to what he is doing. He is lucky to walk through a doorway without hitting his head!

Botts, yep. Elliotts dad in user name, and Elliott in post. :) Just messing with ya :)

Please remember also of his social life. If he is going to a school that is predominantly hearing, remember that he may be treated differently by other children who don't understand things, and in many cases, it leads to isolation.

Regards and good luck!

Please remember also of his social life. If he is going to a school that is predominantly hearing, remember that he may be treated differently by other children who don't understand things, and in many cases, it leads to isolation.

Regards and good luck!
Do you currently have a CI or did you grow up with one?

Regards and good luck!

Very good advise. Part of attending school is the socialization aspect.

I will skip over all the political bickering going on here and say to the OP:

Good luck with the CI on your son.

I've been 80% deaf since I was 4, wore hearing aids for 34 years, and had a CI for the last 7 years.

The only advice I can offer is: Your son will always be deaf. His CI is just a very powerful hearing aid, it may or may not help him hear everything. It is NOT a cure; it is just a prosthesis that will help him get through the real world out there.

Clear, good communication between the parents and child is paramount. Sign language is a big help, and lipreading is a big advantage. So is talking. Do NOT do what many of our 'old school' parents did to us- drop us off at the local 'special ed' department and let them deal with us. Stay involved in your child's life, and he will develop good self-esteem.

As for schools; it is like religion, everyone thinks their opinion is best. In my case, being the only deaf kid in the entire school district sucked. Being different from the others is guaranteed to cause social issues, however, everyone goes through difficult stages.

Let your son choose his friends, deaf/hearing/HOH. Having friends with the same background really helps.

Oh, and one last thing: True, some deaf people think it is a cruel mistake to "force" children to have CI's implanted. Think of it this way: All CI's have an on/off switch. If your child wants to be deaf, he can always turn it off.

I will skip over all the political bickering going on here and say to the OP:

Good luck with the CI on your son.

I've been 80% deaf since I was 4, wore hearing aids for 34 years, and had a CI for the last 7 years.

The only advice I can offer is: Your son will always be deaf. His CI is just a very powerful hearing aid, it may or may not help him hear everything. It is NOT a cure; it is just a prosthesis that will help him get through the real world out there.

Clear, good communication between the parents and child is paramount. Sign language is a big help, and lipreading is a big advantage. So is talking. Do NOT do what many of our 'old school' parents did to us- drop us off at the local 'special ed' department and let them deal with us. Stay involved in your child's life, and he will develop good self-esteem.

As for schools; it is like religion, everyone thinks their opinion is best. In my case, being the only deaf kid in the entire school district sucked. Being different from the others is guaranteed to cause social issues, however, everyone goes through difficult stages.

Let your son choose his friends, deaf/hearing/HOH. Having friends with the same background really helps.

Oh, and one last thing: True, some deaf people think it is a cruel mistake to "force" children to have CI's implanted. Think of it this way: All CI's have an on/off switch. If your child wants to be deaf, he can always turn it off.
Good post. See the part I bolded? I can't stress enough how vital communication is to the deaf child is. Communication is everything!

i will skip over all the political bickering going on here and say to the op:

Good luck with the ci on your son.

I've been 80% deaf since i was 4, wore hearing aids for 34 years, and had a ci for the last 7 years.

The only advice i can offer is: Your son will always be deaf. His ci is just a very powerful hearing aid, it may or may not help him hear everything. It is not a cure; it is just a prosthesis that will help him get through the real world out there.

Clear, good communication between the parents and child is paramount. Sign language is a big help, and lipreading is a big advantage. So is talking. Do not do what many of our 'old school' parents did to us- drop us off at the local 'special ed' department and let them deal with us. Stay involved in your child's life, and he will develop good self-esteem.

Let your son choose his friends, deaf/hearing/hoh. Having friends with the same background really helps.

Oh, and one last thing: True, some deaf people think it is a cruel mistake to "force" children to have ci's implanted. Think of it this way: All ci's have an on/off switch. If your child wants to be deaf, he can always turn it off.

agrees!

YES! Expose your kid to both worlds so they can chose.

Regards and good luck!

That's why its important to stay on top of things and to constantly be monitoring and re-evaluating your child's education placement.

Back