My son is getting a CI

Ok let me put it this way, with CI a child will face certain limitations.

Without a CI, a child faces NO LIMITATIONS.

Which is better?
Yiz

Again, your statement is not true, but rather than wait for you to continue correcting your many errors throughout the thread, I'll answer your question. What's better is whatever Elliot's family decides what will provide him with the most opportunity based on what they value as a family.

No one here is telling you to implant or claiming that you are limiting your child's potential by not implanting. Don't turn around and disrespect a parent's decision to implant, spread ignorant crap about CIs, and claim that he is limiting his child's potential.

The decision isn't about you, it's about Elliot -- you don't know what's best for Elliot, his dad does.

Ok let me put it this way, with CI a child will face certain limitations.

I don't believe those limitations are physically imposed by the fact they have a CI (well other than deep sea diver and MRI technician).

Without a CI, a child faces NO LIMITATIONS.

I'm sure there can be unnecessary limitations imposed on any deaf child, CI or not.

Instructors, administrators, teachers, coaches, anyone ignorant about CI's are likely to be just as ignorant about being deaf.

That's just my opinion.

I don't believe those limitations are physically imposed by the fact they have a CI (well other than deep sea diver and MRI technician).

You only see limitations that a deaf child can't hear. Other than that, a deaf child still can do anything but hear. There are deaf lawyers, deaf doctors and so on. Doesn't look like limitations to me. The only person that can limit themselves is themselves alone. It all depends on their motivations and enthusiasm to learn. The deaf child faces the "yes and no's" the same as a hearing child, either they wanna or they don't wanna.

I'm sure there can be unnecessary limitations imposed on any deaf child, CI or not.

True.

Instructors, administrators, teachers, coaches, anyone ignorant about CI's are likely to be just as ignorant about being deaf.

Again, true.

That's just my opinion.

I can respect that.

Yiz

I can respect that.

Yiz

I dislike the quote "Deaf people can do everything hearing people can do...except hear." You know why? Because deaf people can hear too. How about just "Deaf people can do everything hearing people can".

I dislike the quote "Deaf people can do everything hearing people can do...except hear." You know why? Because deaf people can hear too. How about just "Deaf people can do everything hearing people can".

Deaf people can hear? How? I fail to see that logic.

Yiz

Maybe CI kids need their own term. Because the definition of deaf is CAN NOT HEAR.

If you don't like, don't use it on your kids.

How about hearing impaired can do what hearing people can.

Maybe CI kids need their own term. Because the definition of deaf is CAN NOT HEAR.

If you don't like, don't use it on your kids.

How about hearing impaired can do what hearing people can.

I do like it, my daughter is Deaf. She can not hear at all without her CI.

1 definition for deaf = lacking or deficient in the sense of hearing. It is a conundrum. People look at me askance when I mention that Li-Li is profoundly deaf, and add 'oh, but, she can hear with those CIs on her head, by the way, so talk with her just as you would with any hearing kid'. Some time I distinguish it by saying she can "access sound", although that often feels stilted.

What do deaf who can benefit from hearings aids call what they are doing, if not "hearing"?

Too many debating going on this thread. I know people got a different opinion but please respect to Elliotts Dad. CI kids can play sports but not rough sports. However if they chosen to wear the scrum cap on and this is fine. As I said my last post message.

Last edited:
Remember, when your son gets a CI, he will never be able to play sports. It's too dangerous with a CI attached to the brain.

Yiz
Not true. My son has a CI and plays in many sports including basketball, tennis, hockey and track.

Not true. My son has a CI and plays in many sports including basketball, tennis, hockey and track.

Forget it, despite several posts pointing out the inaccuracies of his statement, he persists in maintaining the point.

Don't worry..he does that to many others too.

If pointing out a post that is a flat out lie about cochlear implants and sports bothers you, too bad. I am more concerned with parents getting accurate and useful information.

If pointing out a post that is a flat out lie about cochlear implants and sports bothers you, too bad. I am more concerned with parents getting accurate and useful information.

Then I'd be more than glad to point out the accurate and useful information here: Teach your child ASL so they don't feel left out later on in life.

Back