My son is getting a CI

December 27th is the big day!

What a great Christmas present! Regarding all the advise you are getting re: his post implant therapist: You will know from the start whether the therapist is suited to your child and vice versa. It is always apparent. And keep in mind, as well, that a child post implant is still very visual. Do not trust any therapist (primarily AVT) that attempts to prevent your son from using his visual sense to speech read and pick up extraneous information.

What a great Christmas present! Regarding all the advise you are getting re: his post implant therapist: You will know from the start whether the therapist is suited to your child and vice versa. It is always apparent. And keep in mind, as well, that a child post implant is still very visual. Do not trust any therapist (primarily AVT) that attempts to prevent your son from using his visual sense to speech read and pick up extraneous information.

yeah, be flexible and try to provide both for your son. Find a therapist who understand this.

I think it is great when parents learn sign language, because it tells the child that you are willing to communicate with him rather he have Cochlear implant on or off... Nothing, definitely no modern technologies, is going to stop you from communicating with him. Or if cochlear implant still did not exist, you would sign to him and his friends anyway.

What Rick discribed is exactly what every single therapist I have ever been in contact does. You are acting as though that is the exception rather than the rule.
faire joure, no. Rick took my comment about hyperintense speech therapy as any speech therapy= hyperintense.
What I meant is helicopter parenting speech therapy or auditory verbal style speech therapy (and yes, jillo that is exactly what I meant)
What I meant is that as long as Elliot is getting consistant spoken language therapy/some auditory rehab , he should do well. And faire joure, you DO have to see a speech therapist who is experianced in teaching dhh little kids. There aren't that many of them, as they are a rare resource.

faire joure, no. Rick took my comment about hyperintense speech therapy as any speech therapy= hyperintense.
What I meant is helicopter parenting speech therapy or auditory verbal style speech therapy (and yes, jillo that is exactly what I meant)
What I meant is that as long as Elliot is getting consistant spoken language therapy/some auditory rehab , he should do well. And faire joure, you DO have to see a speech therapist who is experianced in teaching dhh little kids. There aren't that many of them, as they are a rare resource.

I want to know what you think "auditory verbal type therapy" means. You constantly through around phrases like that, but never explain what you think that means.

I want to know what you think "auditory verbal type therapy" means. You constantly through around phrases like that, but never explain what you think that means.

If a parent profess the fact that they must be fluent in a language that they use with their child I would expect the parent to know the difference between throw and through.

Just saying.

If a parent profess the fact that they must be fluent in a language that they use with their child I would expect the parent to know the difference between throw and through.

Just saying.

Wow, a typo...imagine that. Really? That's the best you can do?

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why would you post anything?

Wow, a typo...imagine that. Really? That's the best you can do?

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why would you post anything?

A typo is a mistake in typing, not replacing an entire word with another.

I know throw and through sounds the same... But... damn. What a typo. 3 letters off.. And not in the same area on the keyboard... the letter w and the letters u, g, h.

May I suggest some AVT? (edit: not the first time this has been demonstrated, hence the suggestion)

I know throw and through sounds the same... But... damn. What a typo. 3 letters off..

May I suggest some AVT?

:roll:

Yes, sometimes swapping one word with another is a typo. And actually throw and through do not sound the same. :giggle:

I know throw and through sounds the same... But... damn. What a typo. 3 letters off.. And not in the same area on the keyboard... the letter w and the letters u, g, h.

May I suggest some AVT? (edit: not the first time this has been demonstrated, hence the suggestion)

It is so ridiculous that you have to stoop to this level. Grow up :roll:

:roll:

Yes, sometimes swapping one word with another is a typo. And actually throw and through do not sound the same. :giggle:

Swapping one word with another is a typo??

check this out:
A typographical error (often shortened to typo) is a mistake made in, originally, the manual type-setting (typography) of printed material, or more recently, the typing process. The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger,[1] but usually excludes errors of ignorance, such as spelling errors.

Source: Typographical error - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I don't think it is a typo. But I think a lot people make mistake of where they are thinking of a word but write something totally different.

It's also ridiculous that you throw a negative cloud on ASL....

So yea.... put the 2+2 together and see where I am coming from.

I'll gladly grow up when you do.

You know that if I pointed out that you didn't actually know that "through" and "throw" sound differently because you are deaf, I would get banned for trolling, but you can hurl accusations and call me ignorant and nothing will happen.

Well, I don't think it is a typo. But I think a lot people make mistake of where they are thinking of a word but write something totally different.

Yeah, heaven forbid that I wrote the wrong word when I am watching TV, having a conversation, and typing at the same time. :giggle:

You know that if I pointed out that you didn't actually know that "through" and "throw" sound differently because you are deaf, I would get banned for trolling, but you can hurl accusations and call me ignorant and nothing will happen.

You just did and you're not banned...

Last I checked calling one else ignorant isn't a ban-able offense here.

Interestingly enough FJ, I don't know why you would say "And actually throw and through do not sound the same :giggle:" and throw in the giggle. You just made fun of PFH for not hearing the difference.

My iphone and ipad autocomplete words from the first couple of letters and creates some wild statements -- much more embarrassing than the typical typo -- people think you Inigo Montoya that word simply bc it's spelled right.

Last edited:

First, there are today many S&L therapists who have experience working with dhh children. Second, you have throughout the years across several forums put down auditory/oral s&L therapy the same way you mock children with special needs by constantly referring to them as having "speshel" needs. Although we did not choose AVT for our child it is a form of S&L therapy that can and has worked for certain children. Third, and most of all, what is wrong with immersing a child with language, be it sign, spoken language or a combination of both? The best advice we ever got was that we should talk, talk and talk some more to our child and that does not matter whatever language you choose.

You can call it "helicoptering parenting" as you do today as opposed to your past terms but I will take a parent who sits and talks and reads to his child, in whatever language, any day over one who plops the kids in front of the TV or just hands him a wii. You don't get it and never will but if you think trips to the beach and talking about the sand, the waves, all the people, etc. was only just "Hyper intense" speech therapy then you will never will. Besides laying the foundations of language it was also laying the foundation of a relationship that was and still is based on communication.

Someone said it best many posts ago and I am paraphrasing but I will take an involved parent any day over a neglectful one.
Rick

Back