My New HP Computer Stink!

Anyone remembers WyndTell in 1998? :) Ahem, they owned by purple as of this moment as I believe.

15 years ago? not that long smart phones didnt really pick up until 5 years ago, it was still just a lowly text-mobile phone to that poiint, if maybe 8 years ago but nah not 15...
lappys was still bit slow until 5 years ago...its JUST starting to catch up with desktops, and now gaming is still needing HIGH powered PC's which still creates alot of heat...so from that PC's is still gonna be around for another decade, me thinks...

Reba, DONT skimp on Windows grades
In the course that I'm taking now at the college, one of the chapters was on updates. They recommend accepting updates for security, hotfixes, and service packages but not always accepting product updates. Product updates are thrown into the market too quickly without working out all the bugs, and often cause problems.

get the best OS you can, Home Prem or Professional is the way, forget the basic, home start shit, its just trouble
Netbooks come with only Starter; that's why I upgraded to Home Premium on it. My other Windows computers came with Home Premium, except for the one I just added that was Professional. My Macbook Pro is OS X Lion.

PC usually refers to Personal Computer which usually could be desktop, tower, lappy. Less people are buying them now than it was 15 years ago, mainly because we got smartphone, tablets etc and it can do pretty much what they could do on PC, plus more. The only market for PC will survive is within office environment where they got lots of "paperwork" like at doctor's office. They don't really need powerful PC like today got to offer.

Not smartphone, tablet, etc they are totally different than PC. Electronic technologies will always advanced and will change at some point.
Yes, I do know what PC stands for but I didn't know how you meant it in the marketing trends.

I don't understand how the tiny screens and keyboards on phones and tablets will ever take the place of full-size ones. When I do my school work or photo editing I like a big screen to work on.

I think there are markets for all kinds of technology.

didn't you know that you can hook up your tablet with your TV? If you want keyboard, get bluetooth keyboard and have tablet hook up with TV, viola! that is all is needed. Im sure smartphone will eventually be able to hook up with TV too, or maybe they invented a wireless connection protocol to have gadget works with TV. The possibilities are there.

Really, I believe it will change because computer technology has changed in the past and what we see today, never thought of 20 years ago!. I never thought I was going to be able to cash paper check without even leaving my living room. I don't have any idea what it will be like 20 years later but I am sure hell that there will be something interesting awaiting our discovery.

Yes, I do know what PC stands for but I didn't know how you meant it in the marketing trends.

I don't understand how the tiny screens and keyboards on phones and tablets will ever take the place of full-size ones. When I do my school work or photo editing I like a big screen to work on.

didn't you know that you can hook up your tablet with your TV?
Yes, but that doesn't work well for me. Right now, I'm on the computer while watching TV at the same time. The locations of our TVs aren't convenient for me when I do my school work. I need to be able to spread out my books and notes on the desk while I'm working on my labs at the computer. Also, I wouldn't want to tie up the TV as a computer if Hubby wants to watch his programs.

If you want keyboard, get bluetooth keyboard and have tablet hook up with TV, viola! that is all is needed. Im sure smartphone will eventually be able to hook up with TV too, or maybe they invented a wireless connection protocol to have gadget works with TV. The possibilities are there.
The possibilities are there but I prefer options that I can choose from. I prefer to use my TV and computer separately. I'm not the only one, so there is still a market. It goes up and down.

definitely a marketing trends!, its very slick...it will take over, and more so the tv will be PC, rolled in one, (teletext and captions are earliest examples < thinking like as if I was 'looking back to 2013 from the years 2072)...

the 'market' was when in the time "employment' was a plenty, it is now called "placement" increasingly it has been becoming a public policy on birth-position as a given, all rights to shift placements are voided" (("spoken from an observer/historian in 2030 looking back to the history of social conduct under the term 'market;, market is now replaced with choice. Choice were freely given but its downfall its bought social issues, it is resolved with application of choice which are assigned to each and every placements. Market has had a extremely long history, it had created conflict and violence. In recent history of social conduct, a solution has removed market with choice by pre-emptive motion by allocation of consumption to each placements, and adhere into as in strigent order. Possibility of choice is Not market choices, but of duty to consume sustanable resources for indigistion and recycle obligation carried out by each and every placements.

see? thats the future of market...PC's and multi media is going to be (and already has been for longer than we think/realise) to indoctrinate members of society/ society itself to withdrawl from messy material and digital consumption.

Last edited:
In 1995, Deaf people thought TTY will be there forever and was happy that there were a TTY relay service available for them. As soon as WyndTell came in Deaf's mind, that is when TTY sales start their sharp decline. I was told by one of TTY manufacturer in SilverSpring MD sometimes in 2004 something like that. They were very disappointed, scared and knew they had to make radical changes. Yes they told me that when Wynd came in picture. They were bit nervous and thought positive and reinvent TTY to make it smaller and compact, costing them money to reinvest TTY which actually failed as soon as after Sorenson came in picture, history done with TTY. In 1995, nobody thought Videophone is really very near at their future.

This is not the first time market shift had happened, it had happened many times and will continue to happen again in future.

I am curious why you don't recommend Macbook Pro Retina?

Because It is so powerful and perfect for HD video edit or graphic art.

But you get it and just use it for simple user as surf, email, 2d games, writer, mp3, etc then it's waste of money that you don't need that.

So Mac mini is perfect for simple user and price is right.

My biggest disappointment was my Samsung Netbook. It came with Windows Starter. I bought extra required memory and upgraded to Windows Home Premium. It was fine until it started doing regular updates. It got to a point where it could hardly do anything. So, I reset it to factory settings. What a pain. Everything has to be re-installed and activated (W7, Office, etc.). So, it was fine again, for a while. Then the updates started again. Now it's almost useless again. I can't even shut it down via the Start button. It just loops "shutting down" perpetually, until I force the power down manually. There is something in the updates that overwhelms its system, I guess.

When I finish this semester (end of April), I'll probably reset it again (takes up too much time). Then, I will also turn off the automatic updates feature, and accept only hotfixes, security updates, and service packs. Bleh to all those other updates that supposedly "improve" performance.

I bought Samsung Netbook N-150 for auto tech as scan tool, PDF reader, etc. Later, I left auto tech for diesel tech job. It's slow a LOT than I thought after ONE year. I called tech support for send me the damn windows disc recovery (it don't come with it) It was free shipping and free disc. After re-formart then re-installed then sold it to someone for $100. Later, Someone told me that he was not happy with it due SLOW. Oh well.

Just think this way, it is retail store and the salesman your talking gets paid by minimum wage or maybe a little more and has limited knowledge. No retailers would want pay more for somebody expert in something but mainly trying to sell stuff.

#1 I have to disagree that it is cheaper to build your own computer. They both are basically the same. I would agree if we are still in 20th century. I do build computer and still know how to build them.

#2, the PC market is now dying! It is fact, less people want to buy desktop nowadays, hence referring to #1 above. Micro$oft isn't doing great with OS anymore, and they are making worse. My son asked me to upgrade his computer. I checked and it is not worth the investment and I actually checked whats available off the shelve or just build one and I ended up get same cost. WTF?

#3 Anything wrong with that fruit that got a bite by Steve Jobs?

Re-build is still cheap like I keep same mid tower case, dvd burner, and PSU for almost 8 years. Just replace the new hdd, mobo,cpu, ram, and powerful GPU for gamer like 3-4 times.

Later, Finally steam made games for Linux and I use linux ubuntu 12.10 and works great but still issue with size of font for game. The font is awful tiny in the chatroom and can't change it to large. Hope steam fix it soon.

Featured Linux Games

I bought Samsung Netbook N-150 for auto tech as scan tool, PDF reader, etc. Later, I left auto tech for diesel tech job. It's slow a LOT than I thought after ONE year. I called tech support for send me the damn windows disc recovery (it don't come with it) It was free shipping and free disc. After re-formart then re-installed then sold it to someone for $100. Later, Someone told me that he was not happy with it due SLOW. Oh well.
Exactly.

Talking about PC is dying...and it is dying! I posted somewhere when I brought my wife a iPad years ago and now her desktop and dual monitors starting to collect dust and cobwebs... she hardly use it. And funny thing is that when she finally start using her computer yesterday to hunt for her mom address in Outlook, she suddenly complaining about how long it take to boot up! Then all of sudden there are all sort of pop up messages asking she need to update adobe flash, adobe reader, Norton security, windows update and on and on...she keep asking me "DO I NEED TO UPDATE THIS???" each time it popped up. Then I laugh myself. She puzzled at me why I laughed, I told her when she was using iPad for long time, everything was peaceful and no bugging me, but when she use her PC... she started to ask me all kind of questions, or complaining how slow it is, or asking me "IS THAT NORMAL??" or "This look like virus attached??" and on and on.

Then I pondered myself....I'm so glad that I brought her iPad!!!

Who needs 8 GB? I had 4 GB, had to drop it to 2 GB because new board had only two slots. Put the spare 2 GB in Mom's PC.

How old is too old? I have a P4 here.. it still works, I don't understand what you mean by "too old" :)

Get the OEM version, it's a lot cheaper.

I have ancient PC tower with Pentium 4/ Windows XP since 2001 (I ordered it online while I was in college in San Francisco). I only upgraded to 2 GB RAM memory, that's it. It is still running. :dunno: I have an Aspire One netbook, too, but wireless system is no good. I can not get it around without WIFI.. it must be wired, so I stopped using a netbook since.

Hopefully, when my budget is better, then I plan to get a 2013 model iMac one day.

I've been thinking of getting an 11 inch Acer Chromebook for business travel...iPad looks like a pain to use and type on....

Laura

I've been thinking of getting an 11 inch Acer Chromebook for business travel...iPad looks like a pain to use and type on....

Laura

It is bad to compare between Chromebook and iPad.

It is best to compare with Chromebook is MacBook Air - cost more but you will get a lot of power for multitask.

Laura

bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.jpg

My aunt in law have one and she use it everyday for her business. She love it a lot.

Back