My new ASL class

dogmom

Reaction score
:D I am excited because I have started a new ASL class! Teacher is Deaf, from Deaf family, several Deaf sisters, class voice-off.

Great, I hope you have fun. Remember you are one state away. If you get good we can do coffee and pastry halfway. :)

I'm so jealous! I wish that I could find a class like that. Have fun!

Don't know what my deaf class will have as a way of refreshments.

I will start ASL class on Jan 26th. The instructor is hoh with ha's and uses ASL primarily. He is also an officer of my deaf club. I will be the only one in the class who is also a member of the deaf club. The majority of the people taking the class are doing it for family. I'm the only to need it for myself.

Last edited:
very cool I had noticed you had been posting a lot about that lately thats very good. Was wondering how that was going but thought it was next week.

When I was in ASL classes many moons ago, my instructor was from a family in which he and his two sisters were Deaf. The instructor was known within the Deaf Community to be extremely skilled with ASL, that is, he was very skilled in story-telling.

So guess what happens when his sisters come and visit the classes. They had good natured arguments over various signs and whether they were ASL, PSE, SEE, or what. Here's an example of what happened.

During class we had a vocubulary building exercise in which everyone was to show a style with a particular hand shape and then fingerspell the meaning of the sign. On this evening, the handshape was the letter S. So his sister made two 2-handshapes and pulled one hand forward and one hand backward. She then fingerspelled S O. Her brother looked at her and was like "what the heck was that that?" She again fingerspelled S O, and he replied it looked more like "rip" or "tear" and it would be much faster just to fingerspell it. The entire class simply broke up with laughter. We all knew they weren't having any sort of serious disagreement. It was fun seeing sibling teasing in ASL.

The moral of the story..... Just be flexible. Just because someone uses a certain sign, it doesn't mean everyone will know what that sign means. Ask the person what the sign means and continue.

I tend to think so, too <for myself> Kateweb
Previous to the class I have also been learning w/aid of tutor-turned-friend who is Deaf, and have worked w/Deaf kids and staff, but that was some years ago.

and Daft, I also agree, flexibility is very important. I have learned to be pretty flexible for other reasons

We have been very flexible in class and so is the instructor. He is a fantastic guy. Has been a deaf interpreter for years. Been all over the eastern half of the US.

Class is going great and I am learning alot. I hope others who are learning are having as great a time as I am and as dogmom was when this thread was started.

Dogmom, what State are you in? Your teacher's name?

:ty:Speedy Bott!:)

Tousi, the teacher's name is Katie. She is the chair of ASL Weekend here-

Back