My Mission to create a better "Snug Fit" (For CI and HA).

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I wore BTE Hearing aids since about the 4th grade all the way up to my early 20's. Then just a couple of months ago I got my Nucleus 5 Cochlear Implant. So I know that they can fall off your ear during some activities. I also understand the fear of them falling off when near water such as when in a boat, at the beach, by the pool or while fishing.

I wasn't very happy with the "Snugfit" that came with my Nucleus 5. I modified mine and it works a little better but I couldn't help but to think there must be a better way. Here's a little tip for you on that. The Snugfit that comes with the N5 is made of plastic that can be heated and shaped. When I discovered this I got one larger then I needed and bent the bottom tail of it up. It now holds a little better for me (I have small ears). Let me know if any of you need more details on this.

But still, I know there must be a better way to hold the CI processor more securely. So I'm working on some new designs. I've been using my first design for a few days now and it's pretty promising. I can shake my head as hard as I can, even stand on my head and it won't fall off. It still needs a little tweaking though. It's pretty comfortable but when I find better material to make it out of it'll be even better.

My goals for this is:

• Secure hold
    I don't want it to come off no matter what I do unless I want to take it off. I'm going to test this very thoroughly.
  • Comfort
    If it isn't comfortable to wear for a long period of time. Then there's no point.
  • Looks
    Although I'm not ashamed of my CI. There's no point in advertising it. So I don't want it to be anything big, bulky or that stands out to much.

Right now I'm working on finding the best material to make them out of in the area of looks and comfort. Once I get that worked out I'm going to focus on different models. I have friends in my area that have BTE HA's as well as different models of CI. I'll make one for them and have them test it out on their devices.

Now here's the reason I'm posting about all this. Once I get it worked out I'll be looking for some beta testers. I'd like to send them out to some people and get their opinion on it. I'd also like to know if they'd have any suggestions to make it better. So if you'd be willing to test them out let me know and when the time comes I'll let you now (A limited number of course for I'll be spending money on making them. :) ).

I've actually written and drawn out 4 design ideas for this. I figured I'd try them all out but the first one I tried is turning out so promising that I decided to focus on that one all the way. If in the end I can't tweak it to match all my goals I'll try out the other design ideas. But right now I'm very happy with the way this prototype I'm wearing as I speak it working. I've been wearing it for 3 days and it feels so great to know it's not going to fall off when I'm doing things. I even had a little wrestling match with a friend of mine yesterday and it didn't fall off (All in good fun. LOL).

I'll come back and share more updates on my progress. Until then let me know of any issues, desires or concerns you might have with this. What would be your wants and dislikes? Share any thoughts you might have on this issue. And let me know if you'd be willing to be a beta tester when the time comes.

Ron Jaxon

The naidas have this...something like the snugfit...but it didnt come with it..but in the naida booklet shows it...i should do some investigating to see if I can get my hands on some:)

ive never really had much of an issue with HAs falling off. The only time they move is when i'm adjusting my glasses, but i'd be interested to see the designs anyway!
Good luck!
*EQL*

Mine fall off when I tumble/fly and I am very interested in this as if I get CI I need to ensure it wouldn't fly off when I am stunting and tumbling for cheerleading.

I have not tried a snugfit with my CI since I don't need one. It stays on my ear, doesnt fall off. But if I was a sporty person then I would prob wear a snugfit or a huggie.

Mine sometimes falls off when I'm laying down watching TV. And when I'm near water I'd rather not take any chances. So that's my main reason for taking this project on. It just feels better in those kinds of situations to know it's not going to accidentally fall off.

My prototype doesn't look very good. It's made of metal so I'm going to go to my friends sometimes soon. He has a 3D printer so he can design things on his computer and the machine will make it out of plastic. With the plastic I'll be able to make it more comfortable with rounded edges and things like that. I might even be able to put a little padding on it for added comfort. Padding could also adds a little grip to it for an even better hold.

Without giving it all away until it's ready (Being a magician and working with secrets put me in the habit of not sharing to much publicly until it's done LOL). It'll be a sort of clip that will attach either to one of the shells on the N5. Or for other models it'll fit on something that you slip over your processor or BTE. To get an example of what I'm taking about "Slip over" go Here.

It's not big or bulky and I'm very happy with it so far. Just need to make it a little more comfortable and adjustable for we all have different shaped ears.

Ron Jaxon

In the first few months it was hard to keep it on since the ear was weak from the op. Now the ear is much stronger and can withstand the weight/shape of CI. I used ear moulds at that time but not anymore. I have never needed snuggie or anything and my ears are narrow, I use kids hook on both CI and HA thats all, I ski, sail, do tumble with my man, and they still stays on. When i watch tv lying down they still stays on...

Hm I'm certainly interested on that - my CI falls all the time , esp when I'm lying down. So I'd like to see if your solutions is gonna work!

ive never really had much of an issue with HAs falling off
Ditto.
It's a good idea. Ron, have you tried the earmold and tube set up?

Hi Ron; I'm definitely interested, I was out working on my plane yesterday and had to take my CI off as it would not stay on the ear. I have the same one you do and only activated a week ago. I would be most happy to beta test and also be very glad to re-imburse your costs. One thing I think needs to be done is the angle the wire/connection comes off the processor is way wrong, pointing down when coil it up! I think maybe even just straight out would help some. I did not find a snug fit thing with mine? Some covers to change color but they make it to thick for me and so falls of easier. I'm not really to concious of the color anyway. Be glad to send my email address so can contact me if you desire. Best Regards Dick

I'm interested in helping as well. I wear ha and they have fallen off before when I'm coaching. I was accidently kicked as an athlete was attempting to do a handstand and my ha landed in the foam pit. Believe me, its not easy to find a tiny ha in a large pit of foam blocks!

Thanks for the encouragement and I'll be contacting some of you to beta test when the time comes.

Let me share a little more. Like I said, I'm not yet ready to reveal the entire design publicly yet. I hope you can understand why. I've had some of my ideas ripped off any marketed by other people before. In this case my goal isn't really to make money but I don't want the money I'm putting into it to be wasted either. So I hope I'm not coming across as selfish by not just showing you all exactly what I'm working on here on a public forum.

Anyway, my next step will take place this coming week end when I go to my friends (A couple hours drive away) and make the part out of plastic on his 3D printer. The design works great as is already. It will not fall off short of anything but a hard blow to the head right now. Those of you that mentioned doing flips and hands stands. This will hold it in place for you. But I still have some work to do in the area of comfort. It's not to bad right now but I admit that after wearing the prototype for a few hours I start to feel it a little. Not real pain, just a little irritation. So that's one thing I need to focus on right now.

I'm awaiting my ear gear so I can test using it with them. I think that would be a good solution because they come for just about all HA and CI models. They also come in a variety of colors so that issue will be resolved as well.

If it works with the ear gear then what would be required to use it is to put the ear gear on your processor or HA. Then put attach my "holder" to it and your ear in the proper position to your ear shape and size.

Thanks again for the support, suggestions and feedback. Makes me feel my efforts are for something here.

Ron Jaxon

I've seen some implant that use hearing aid earmold.. I would love to use the skeleton-type of earmold to hold it still. I seen some snugfit, and I think it look too tight on some people. they are better off with an skeleton earmold.

Adding an extra magnet in your headpiece help too especially when you have thick hair. Also, if the hook around your ear is too long or short, it will fall off too, so you need to make sure it is the right size for you for it to stay put.

oh another thing that make your processor/headpiece pop off is if the wire to your headpiece is too long or short. If it too long, it will push your processor off when you lay down.

Last edited:
Well, I really don't know if the wire is to long or to short but I do know that the earpiece keeps popping off and I've had the complete outfit land on the floor and have only had it less than one week. Don't know how many times its came off but do know I was planning to talk to my audi next appointment on Wed. As I said earlier, I think the angle the wire leaves the earpiece is way wrong as it heads down and coil is up. Think I will put the old ear mold on the hook and see if that helps. Maybe usefull for something after all.

I'm interested in helping as well. I wear ha and they have fallen off before when I'm coaching. I was accidently kicked as an athlete was attempting to do a handstand and my ha landed in the foam pit. Believe me, its not easy to find a tiny ha in a large pit of foam blocks!

phonak produce a product called safe and secure ask your audi about these

I just made a huge breakthrough with this design. The issue of comfort has now been solved because it now doesn't touch your skin at all when you're wearing it. It'll only touch your skin when it needs to. So when you're wearing it you won't feel it so you could wear it all day long.

Let me explain what I mean. Imagine you have it on you. All day long you won't feel anything other then your processor or your HA. But if you get in a situation where it could come off such as your head moves fast or in an odd position (Head down, laying on your back, hand stand, flipping, etc..) where it could normally come off. Only then will it make contact with your skin and prevent it from falling off. And the part that touches your skin at these moments will be padded as well. The padding actually adds more grip too.

I'm so excited about this improvement. I can't wait till this coming week end to get some made of plastic. Feels so great when a project starts to come together.

Ron Jaxon

Thanks Inmate23! I had no clue about that. I will talk to her next week and see what I can do about getting it!

the phonak product is only currently for the naidas i believe but double check that

Definitely my biggest ask for anything you make would be latex free. I am so allergic to latex that I can't go in for surgery unless I am first on the list and they have taken all latex outside the room 3 hours before they start. Too many of these products are made from latex content because it's durable, stretchy and cheap.

Back