My Intro

Stuckinthemiddle

Reaction score
I'm 54 years old and have been virtually deaf in my left ear my whole life. I never have known any different. I never sought any treatment and thought all along that I could get along. Six years ago I changed careers and became a teacher and that's when the problems started. It's not easy not being able to hear the whole classroom and I was ready to give up. I am scheduled to get a BAHA and hope it will help. Does anyone here have any experience with a BAHA and SSD? I'm really thinking at this time a connect might be better than an attract system.

Welcome to allDeaf

I'm glad I found this site. SSD is a weird state of being I guess. I've never ever considered myself disabled but teaching has made it very difficult to compromise and it's taken me a few years to realize that's where the problem is.

Here's the scoop on what in up to, I was finally tested on a Baha band and my word recognition went from 4% to 80% and that was with background noise in the good ear. I was honestly astounded. I'm getting a CROS in a few days and I'm keeping it for backup if the Baha goes down for some reason.
The surgery is a week from today for a Baha Attract.

Having hearing loss as long as I can remember, I never thought I wasn't hearing as much as I actually am.

hello

don't give up teaching there ways around things that can be found

Hey there! I can relate to your hearing loss .... it's tough! I also have a tendency to feel stuck between two worlds. Some folks do fine with ssd, others it affects more. I'm glad the Baha is helping you out. I was considering it myself, but decided against it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back