My best friend's mom

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just found out that my best friend's mom finally passed away last night after a long battle with Parkinston's. Hard to believe that she is gone...I have known her since I was a year old. I just feel so bad for her dad cuz they would have been married for 50 years this August. I may fly to AZ for the funeral so I am waiting to get word from my friend.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this...happy that she is not suffering anymore cuz the past year was hard on her with her health deteriorating to the point where she needed 24/7 care and sad that I wont see her again. She was like a 2nd mom to me. I just worry about her dad.

My friend will fly from PA to AZ tonight and will stay with her dad for a few weeks after the funeral to make sure he is ok. 50 years...will be very hard on him. :(

Truly sorry for your lost, my thoughts, prayers will be upon you, your friend, friend's dad, family and friends. Knowing that this is a difficult time, even for you, when she has been like a second 'mom' for you...surely, she isn't suffering anymore, is at peace, yet, will be greatly missed. Please do hang in there and cherish all the good and wonderful times you've been blessed while being with her. :hug:

Thread will remain 'sticky' for the time being.

~RR

I am very sorry about your best friend's mom. I hope that your trip will be safe.

Thank you to everyone. :)

Just got word from my friend...viewing will be on Thursday and the funeral on Friday or Sat. I am waiting for my husband to get home from work to discuss if it is possible for me to fly out. Getting off from work wont be an issue cuz I am on my spring break this week so just need to make arrangements for someone to take my daughter to school and pick her up from school. If not, then she might have to miss school for a few days.

Anyway...anyone know of good websites to find cheap last minute airfare tickets?

Many thanks! :ty:

Anyway...anyone know of good websites to find cheap last minute airfare tickets?

Usually, when there is (a sudden) death in the family, airlines will usually peel back prices to 'normal' basic prices like those who purchase tickets 15 or more days in advance instead of charging outrageous prices at short notice. However, you can still consider this as 'family', surely they won't ask further. You can also google about purchasing tickets during a death of a loved one and see what you can come up with.

"Most airlines will give you a discounted fare if you must fly on short notice because of a family emergency, such as a death or sudden illness. Call ahead or speak to an agent; this is not possible to arrange online."

(sources: Cheap airline travel in North America - Wikitravel )

I'm sure you'll find an airline that will accommodate you with your present needs and situation. :)

Do take good care--

~RR

Usually, when there is (a sudden) death in the family, airlines will usually peel back prices to 'normal' basic prices like those who purchase tickets 15 or more days in advance instead of charging outrageous prices at short notice. However, you can still consider this as 'family', surely they won't ask further. You can also google about purchasing tickets during a death of a loved one and see what you can come up with.

(sources: Cheap airline travel in North America - Wikitravel )

I'm sure you'll find an airline that will accommodate you with your present needs and situation. :)

Do take good care--

~RR

Oh really?? I didnt know that. Wonder if my friend knows about it? Will copy and past this and send it to her. Maybe she hasnt purchased her tickets yet even though she told me she is flying out tonight. All 4 (herself, her husband and 2 kids) are going so that can be costly. Many thanks RR!

I'm sorry about your lost, I can't imagine losing someone who you've known so long. I understand your conflicted feelings atleast she isn't struggling anymore hang in there and if you do fly down i hope you have a good trip and to be known you and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Well..I searched and searched for flights...they were very expensive. I even called some airlines...even with the discounts, it is still too expensive. The reason for the high costs of the tickets (around $900) is cuz I dont want to stay a week. If I stay a week then the price goes down about 50%. My friend told me not to worry about it. Will send flowers to the funeral home.

I just chatted with her on VP...she is still in a state of shock but she did admit to me that she is relieved that her mom is no longer suffering and that her dad is not taking care of her 24/7. Her parents refused to hire help so her dad took care of her constantly for the past year. So, maybe it is a blessing in disguise cuz according to my friend, her mom's mind was going too and in the past 2 months, she couldnt even carry a decent conversation with her mom. This is one terrible disease and I hope they find a cure for it. Too much suffering for the victims.

Again, thanks everyone. :)

Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. Yea it s tough to see one of your love ones suffering when death is best way or alleviate their pains. Depend on what religion you believe in, love ones should be in good hands :)

Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. Yea it s tough to see one of your love ones suffering when death is best way or alleviate their pains. Depend on what religion you believe in, love ones should be in good hands :)

Thanks and I definitely believe that she is in good hands. :) They were devout Catholics so I am hoping their faith will help her dad after the funeral is over and when he is home alone. That is gonna be the tough part for him..when reality sinks in.

Aw I'm really sorry to hear about your best friend's mother, may she rest in peace and fly high :( ...

Aww I am sorry to hear about your best friends mom.. I will pray for you, your friends family and hope yall get thru the difficult times ahead..

I will be sending up some thoughts and prayers for you friend and her family as well as for you.

Just found out that my best friend's mom finally passed away last night after a long battle with Parkinston's. Hard to believe that she is gone...I have known her since I was a year old. I just feel so bad for her dad cuz they would have been married for 50 years this August. I may fly to AZ for the funeral so I am waiting to get word from my friend.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this...happy that she is not suffering anymore cuz the past year was hard on her with her health deteriorating to the point where she needed 24/7 care and sad that I wont see her again. She was like a 2nd mom to me. I just worry about her dad.

My friend will fly from PA to AZ tonight and will stay with her dad for a few weeks after the funeral to make sure he is ok. 50 years...will be very hard on him. :(

My mom had Parkinson to deal with as well. She passed away a couple of years ago. She was a wonderful mom and love her deep in my heart. I hope you friend will be able to go through grieving in a smooth transition to keep on living!

sorry to hear about your best friend's mom hope things will turn out to be good and her mom is an angel in heaven looking over your best friend and her dad too :)

Oh man I am sorry to hear of your friend's mom's passing... I am sure she is finally at peace and that your friend's dad will have to find the strength to go on and be happy as he has loved his wife for almost 50 years.... may God bless them as well...

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. I unfortunately had my father pass about a month ago, and looked into the flight situations as I had to fly from Cali to Indiana, so I will share what I've found & discovered (I was suprised).

Most airlines do offer a bereavement policy, however there are usually several "catches" you should be aware of. First, they may require some kind of confirmation, such as a doctor(telephone #), or something like the funeral home, death certificate. They will not offer any type of deals online, as this is done via in person or on the phone.

Lastly, the bereveament tickets may not be the cheapest ticket as their the one they offered me was actually more expensive than a general ticket(coach) as it was approx. ~150 dollars extra. They may take the most expensive ticket & apply the discount (i.e, first class) as opposed to their cheapest. They wanted me to pay close to 900, but got it for a little over 700 by shopping around.

I would check expedia.com as they will help you get a good "ballpark" estimate as to what you can expect by price, number of boardings and whatnot. If they offer something that cost more than what expedia has offered, you can make your choice of what you want.

Once again, sorry about you & your friends' loss. my sympathies.

Back