My activation went well.

Ange.

Reaction score
:dance2: I am pleased to report that it went well & did better than I expected.When they first turned it on I jumped as all I could hear were squeals,beeps & all sorts of horrible noises & my 1st reaction was I wanted to take it off but my Audi encouraged me to talk & after a few minutes I could hear my voice that got clearer as I talked then I could hear my Audi & Hubby & they sounded quite clear.My kids sounded so funny, like munchkins or helium quality to their voices.After awhile I did some tests & did wonderfully well on those.I had to not look at the therapist while she read out words & I scored 20/20,10/10.9/10 & 32/35 on the tests! They sent me out in the big NOISY world & I heard keys jingling,traffic,water running,plastic bags crinkling,paper rustling.I went to the toilet & I heard this noise so I stopped,listened but i couldn't hear it anymore then relaxed & carried on & heard this noise again & laughed my head off when I realised I could hear my wee hitting the water,pmsl.My hubby was looking at me funny when I came out lol until I told him.Environmental sounds are good but I am still struggling with voices,I am ok if they are in front of me but if there back is turned or they not looking at me I don't understand.I know that will get better with time & can't wait to experiance more,I'm hungry for sounds now.I can't wait to hear my kids better.I go back next week for another mapping.
Ange.

Whoa. I'm thrilled for you!

You could comprehend speech right away in the room?

If so, I say it's a smashing success!

:dance2: I am pleased to report that it went well & did better than I expected.When they first turned it on I jumped as all I could hear were squeals,beeps & all sorts of horrible noises & my 1st reaction was I wanted to take it off but my Audi encouraged me to talk & after a few minutes I could hear my voice that got clearer as I talked then I could hear my Audi & Hubby & they sounded quite clear.My kids sounded so funny, like munchkins or helium quality to their voices.After awhile I did some tests & did wonderfully well on those.I had to not look at the therapist while she read out words & I scored 20/20,10/10.9/10 & 32/35 on the tests! They sent me out in the big NOISY world & I heard keys jingling,traffic,water running,plastic bags crinkling,paper rustling.I went to the toilet & I heard this noise so I stopped,listened but i couldn't hear it anymore then relaxed & carried on & heard this noise again & laughed my head off when I realised I could hear my wee hitting the water,pmsl.My hubby was looking at me funny when I came out lol until I told him.Environmental sounds are good but I am still struggling with voices,I am ok if they are in front of me but if there back is turned or they not looking at me I don't understand.I know that will get better with time & can't wait to experiance more,I'm hungry for sounds now.I can't wait to hear my kids better.I go back next week for another mapping.
Ange.

That sounds great :) Have fun with your CI :hug:

Uh-oh, you could 'hear' your hubby? :lol: (joking, of course-- ;) )

Anyhow, congratulations on the activation and wishes you the very best!! :thumb:

~RR

Woo hoo! That sounds a really good start. Your words scores were particularly good. I would not have got anywhere close to those on my first day.

Happy for you and new life!!

Congrats!!

Ange, so happy to hear how well you did today! Congratulations!
:h5:

Ange,

It sounds like you're off to a great start! Congratulations! :)

Hear Again

Left ear - Nucleus 24 Contour Advance with 3G
Implanted: 12/22/04 Activated: 1/18/05

Right ear - Nucleus Freedom
Implanted: 2/1/06 Activated: 3/1/06

I have been told i may need one one day .With stories like you it seams it might not be so bad

That's excellent news! You're going to have a lot of those discovery moments when these weird noises turn out to be the most ordinary things.

Back