Music Class: Did You Take In School?

Ha... I remember the teacher in freshman chorus was able to pick out that somebody was off.. and she zeroed in on me... made me stay after (or study hall) to go through the notes... what a pain... didn't take her long to realize I had hearing aids and therefore didn't do so well with identifying proper notes :P. I don't remember what the 'arrangement' was for the rest of the year as I wasn't allowed to drop the class :(. I just sang less and/or under my breath lol.

Ha... I remember the teacher in freshman chorus was able to pick out that somebody was off.. and she zeroed in on me... made me stay after (or study hall) to go through the notes... what a pain... didn't take her long to realize I had hearing aids and therefore didn't do so well with identifying proper notes :P. I don't remember what the 'arrangement' was for the rest of the year as I wasn't allowed to drop the class :(. I just sang less and/or under my breath lol.

That sucks, I remember at VHCC, they didn't keep me from dropping the class, but I had a hell of a time in that class until I reached the point I just withdrew from it. I had to do group activity and couldn't hear the people I was working with since we worked in groups in the small classroom.

They would not accommodate my hearing issues at all, then again, it's the same school that tried to bring me up on charges for just being trans, so can't expect much from that place.

If I would have had to sing, I would have just moved my lips and said nothing.

When i was still deaf they had the elementary kids play flutes and it was mandatory for everyone to learn. Thay didn't work forme but then no one knew i was deaf. So they made it so songing was included too. That i coulddo.

We was required to go to Music class but whenever any listening was involved or actual music we got pulled out. I actually got a B in music....

Hi! What kind of music classes did you take in school to fulfill the music requirement?

The description for my daughter's music class next year has me concerned "...students will develop critical listening skills and empathy by performing for each other..." and I feel that we are now getting to the point where part of the music grade is based on being able to 'name that tune', differentiate between composers, etc.

Do you have an IEP for your daughter? If not, you should. You can get it written in there that your daughter can be waived from music and foreign language graduation requirements. It was written into mine. I got to take other electives instead, including study hall. There was no way I could do music or foreign language.

Foreign languages I could do... we only had 3 choices... Spanish, French and Latin at the time. Almost by default I wound up with Latin.. The biggest reason? With French and Spanish the students had to take those audio tape lessons using headphones. Um... NO! No way I'd do well with that!

So.. High School- 4 years of Latin. I did take 2 years of Spanish at Gallaudet though...

Do you have an IEP for your daughter? If not, you should. You can get it written in there that your daughter can be waived from music and foreign language graduation requirements. It was written into mine. I got to take other electives instead, including study hall. There was no way I could do music or foreign language.

She does have an IEP. After discussing it with the TOD, I decided to keep her in the general music class, and if needed, they will make accommodations for her, such as no test that she has to hear for, etc. I will talk to the music teacher before class starts to go over what she can and can't hear, and how it has to be taken into consideration, as will the TOD. She is in chorus now and hates it. Luckily the grade is based on participation and not ability to sing because she is completely monotone, lol. She also played alto sax for a couple of years and was pretty good (you don't have to be able to hear what other people are playing, just be able to read music), but she didn't love it, and if you don't love to play an instrument, it's not much fun.

For the foreign language requirement, she will actually be taking French! She wants to do the foreign language so badly, so I always encourage her to try. She will not have a problem with the reading/writing portion, and for the listening to CDs they have to do, we're already discussing accommodations. If French doesn't work out, our district also offers ASL (at the high school level) that meets the language requirement...

For the foreign language requirement, she will actually be taking French! She wants to do the foreign language so badly, so I always encourage her to try. She will not have a problem with the reading/writing portion, and for the listening to CDs they have to do, we're already discussing accommodations. If French doesn't work out, our district also offers ASL (at the high school level) that meets the language requirement...

And then maybe she might end up at a Deaf School/regional dhh program for high school, and not have to worry about hearing high school accomondations.....that's always a possibilty....Keep placements and possibilties open for middle/high school.....that's a time when things can and do change a LOT....It would be awesome if she felt like a mainstream/inclusive placement would be good for her.....but its always nice to know that there are other alternatives to the neighborhood school/an inclusive placement...KWIM?
Did you know both Maryland School for the Deaf and MSSD offer foriegn languages for dhh kids?Maybe when the time comes you could contact them for advice for accomondations for dhh kids who take a foriegn language..

Back