MSNBC: Texas to let teachers bring guns to school

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand Minutemen's concern and I sympathize with them but it's gotten too extreme. They're nothing but a bunch of paranoid xenophobic vigilantes to me.

I agree. Just another group of rich, white gun owners that think that they're tough shit.

Extremists tend to make things bad for us all.

Back to teachers who obtain concealed weapons carry permits. With regard to willingness to protect themselves and their students, they are almost always a cut above the average rent-a-cop and can make the difference between life and death while the cops are awaiting back-up and generally wasting time till the crazy shooter runs low enough on ammo to shoot himself.

All the sob-sisters here are clueless as to how helpless the feminizations of schools has made good teachers and students who stay out of trouble. The no-fighting- back system protects the bully . . . and bullies have only escalated behaviors.

Yup, it's best to homeschool your little Johnny and Suzie, but it's not the armed teacher who is the danger to your little ones.

It sounds a good idea for a homeschool. I heard that some homeschools have a cult, and some others have a profound religious that could lead a brainwashing children.

I personally think that a homeschool is more opportunity than a private school because of cheaper cost and better education. A drawback is that some homeschools have a very poor social skills in the real world.

It sounds a good idea for a homeschool. I heard that some homeschools have a cult, and some others have a profound religious that could lead a brainwashing children.

I personally think that a homeschool is more opportunity than a private school because of cheaper cost and better education. A drawback is that some homeschools have a very poor social skills in the real world.
Yep, that's one big issue with being home-schooled.

You don't get much opportunity to socialize with other kids. Even if you tried out for a sports team, you're a stranger to the rest of the team.

I have a few friend who were home-schooled. Most of them have no social skills. There was a brother/sister pair who were home-schooled under religious parents. Whenever I went to their house, they would talk non-stop about what they learned in school... church-related stuff. One of them came to my birthday party and ended up "preaching" to the rest of my friends. Most of my other friends got upset cuz they were at my birthday party to celebrate MY birthday, not to listen to him preach his religious mumbo jumbo.

I understand how some parents prefer to be the ones that teach their children at home, but what they need to realize that in the real world... we all work with everyone else. Going to school with everyone else is the perfect first step to doing this.

This is not a cop-like scenario. I don't think you understand the mindset of armed citizen.

1. Armed citizen (with CCW) is usually much more trained and knows better when or when not to use gun.
2. We frequently go to firing ranges to hone our skills.
3. Cops is trained at MINIMUM level except S.W.A.T. which is why they're bad shooters and trigger-happy.
4. Cops are constantly high with stress. Armed citizens are not.
5. We have element of surprise, cops do not
6. We are trained to react to the situation if the gun is SEEN.
7. Cops are trained to use "PREEMPTIVE" strikes.

most importantly....
8. Cops get blanket protection (most of time) even though it's over-killed or excessive
--> WE DO NOT. Thus - we are less trigger-happy than cops, more accurate than cops, and have better decision-making skills than cops.

your deafie situation is an example of gross responsibility as a gun carrier. Please educate yourself more on guns.

And you are saying that the incident of a school shooting is not a situation of stress? Anytime a shooting happens, it is a stressful situation. I do not trust the armed average citizen to respond to that type of stress with clear thought. While they may be better trained in accurracy, a claim I doubt, they are not trained in the stress management and crisis response techniques necessary to make the situation of teachers carrying guns more sfe for the student body.

that's the purpose of CCW. they won't know unless some ultra-liberal asshole within administration leaked the information. Chance is you've walked/passed by at least 10 CCW in a month at common places like shopping malls, works (except certain places), or parks.

If you have the right to concealed carry, I most certainly have the right to know who is walking down the street with a gun.

obviously - if the school is allowing teachers to bring guns into school, they'll have lengthy regulations and requirements because school is liable to costly lawsuits. I'm going to guess from top of my head -

1. required gun vault in teacher's desk
2. required trigger lock on your own gun (if carried in purse)
3. ONLY CERTAIN guns are allowed (a small 9mm pistol)
4. any caliber bigger than 9mm is not allowed
5. maximum of 2-3 bullets is allowed
6. mandatory training - once per month (or so)
7. required 95% accuracy rate needed to carry gun to school
8. must completed intensive, comprehensive gun safety course (usually 1-2 full days)

peer reviews + school official's decisions + teacher's previous record = excellent way of screening them for their suitability of bringing gun to school. Like I said several times - most will not choose to do it because of cost, hassles, etc. Not a problem to me and I support a stringent process - a similar process that military special forces go thru to count on each other for their ability to use guns. If you pass that stringent process, then I can have a complete trust on you because it shows that you're fully competent and trained (better than cops).

Cops do not go thru this and you're counting on them??? :Ohno: Did you know cops do not rush into school if the school reported shooting??? They wait outside the school for S.W.A.T. to arrive which takes even LONGER to arrive - probably about 30 min because they come from state/county area, not local. It's a horrifying thought that the help is not immediate!

Your safeguards invalidate the origninal purpose of easy accessibility in the case of a shooting, now don't they?

That's the challenge that no legislation seems to cover. It's too easy to find a solution that does not focus on the root of the problem.

Rise up and meet the challenge is what I ask.

:gpost::gpost:

If we allow every single citizen to carry a gun, why bother hiring Police? Why not just let every tom, dick, harry and jane be a law enforcer? That's asking for problems and litigation.

Waht jiro appears to be proposing is Anomie.:shock:

lol.... lol.... lol.... got a lot of hate against people with money, huh? I'm sorry but your life experience is not something you can attest to. I can attest to anyone who's gone to private schools and gotten an outstanding education. another FAIL!

I complain of liberals who are illogical and irrational because they are the one who are squashing our civil rights without even realizing it.

:laugh2: That is just too funny!!!!

Question: Knowing that most school districts have adopted the "Safe School Zones" meaning No weapons, no drugs in a school neighborhood, wouldn't this be a contradiction to their policies to begin with?

Absolutely!

oh... my.... god..... you people need to stop with WHAT IF!?!?!? WHAT IF!??!?!? OBVIOUSLY the teacher is not going to run and WAVE AROUND with his gun! OBVIOUSLY - teacher and police will train together to learn proper procedure to reduce the chance of friendly fire. OBVIOUSLY!

You are playing on the "WHAT IF" a school shooting happens. You still have not provided any statistics indicating that a school shooting is inclined to happen by showing me the relationship between the number of school shootings that have occurred in the last 10 years and the number of school districts in the U.S. You cannot support the need for armed teachers with any logical and statistical proof. If anyone is playing on a "What if" scenario, it is you.:roll:

And you are saying that the incident of a school shooting is not a situation of stress? Anytime a shooting happens, it is a stressful situation.
Yes stressful but manageable. we all have been in this kind of life-death situations many times in our life - driving, street, fighting, sports, etc. it's built into our survival instincts. you as the psychologist should know better about this. for this school shooting, armed teachers would be most likely required to undergo same training as police or air marshals. they can do it and so can we. if you can't, then you best stay behind me or chase or reba.

I do not trust the armed average citizen to respond to that type of stress with clear thought. While they may be better trained in accurracy, a claim I doubt, they are not trained in the stress management and crisis response techniques necessary to make the situation of teachers carrying guns more sfe for the student body.
you do not trust armed citizen because of lack of awareness and understanding in this issue. In fact - pretty much.... say... more than 95% of cops in USA have not fired their guns in the line of duty.

And why would you say armed average citizen? You cannot have armed "average" teachers at school. that would create potential lawsuits issue and many concerns. That's why there would most likely be a strict guideline/requirement for such case. If the teacher is the same as armed "average" citizen, then I do not support this proposal at all. However - they are no different from regular cops either.

If you have the right to concealed carry, I most certainly have the right to know who is walking down the street with a gun.
absolutely not. sorry you do not have the rights to know. sorry but that defeats the element of surprise. do i have the rights to know you're walking around with AIDS or STD's? do i have the rights to know you have a history of mental illness? or criminal record (except sex offender)? because it is a danger to public, you know... :roll: again - probably more than 98% of armed citizens walking around with concealed guns have not fired their guns in the public for self-defense purpose.

Your safeguards invalidate the origninal purpose of easy accessibility in the case of a shooting, now don't they?
Again - this shows your lack of understanding in this issue - but it's understandable. we the gun owners will properly educate you on gun world.

I don't think you're aware of how fast you can unlock the gun safe. It's pretty fast - within about 3 seconds. and plus - it is very unlikely that the shooter would quickly do the shooting spree, running around. see below for gun safe. it's becoming pretty popular and has gotten excellent feedbacks. My friend owns one and it is very simple to use. i've tested it under duress in a stimulated scenario. outstanding gun safe.

s7_228663_imageset_01

You are playing on the "WHAT IF" a school shooting happens. You still have not provided any statistics indicating that a school shooting is inclined to happen by showing me the relationship between the number of school shootings that have occurred in the last 10 years and the number of school districts in the U.S. You cannot support the need for armed teachers with any logical and statistical proof. If anyone is playing on a "What if" scenario, it is you.:roll:

because it's a reasonable concern due to "rise" in school shootings and we must respond to it immediately. You can go ahead and implement some SES policy to fix this but we need a quick temporary fix. I'm sorry but 5 major school massacres (26 minor + major school shootings) in 10 years period is VERY ALARMING. If that is not a statistical proof enough for you - I suppose you will not fare well in a decision-making committee. In 10 years period - we have 100 dead. How many bodies do you need to establish a statistical proof? 1000? 10000? 10000000? :roll: 100 is already too much for me and we've had major school shootings year after year (almost). Does it not raise a concern for you? I'm beginning to be appalled by your callousness. :-o

I support this idea and to me, it's the least a school can do.

Not a bad idea, especially if a student has a history of acting out or using violence in school (bullying, etc).

Well, cops are expected to use good judgment when using said weapons. There are still cops that even though they have good intentions, they go too far in enforcing them.

You'd get better responses if you stopped assuming that everyone who "complained" was a liberal.

If you think liberals are bad, try arguing with libertarians. ;)

Exactly!

Jiro123, please quit to make an assumption over liberal issues when you know very well that most liberals do not support gun ban. I´m one of them.

I never said that I support a gun "ban", but support its protection from the owner and the criminals.

Yes, that´s right. That´s what I support about is gun with high restriction.

Teacher: "Here are your tests back. Any questions?"
Student: "Teacher, why did I get a 'F' on my test?"
Teacher: "Because you didn't do well. Did you study?"
Student: "No."
Teacher: "Then it's your own fault for failing the test."
Student: "Not fair!" *grunts*
Teacher: "Sorry, now please sit down."
Student: "No! Forget it! I'm calling my mommy!"
Teacher: *shoots taser*

... 30 seconds later ...

Teacher: *stops tasering student* "Any other questions?"

:gpost: :lol:

I would NEVER let my children to attend school...

I think you should read the whole thread first before replying to each single earlier post. you missed out quite a handful and no need to bring up the past that's already been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back