Mixed marriage

Belinda Dill

Reaction score
HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT BEING MARRIED TO A HEARING PERSON?:hmm::wave:

Doesn't bother me, as long they don't view deafness as a disability.

I get along better with CODAs more than the Deaf, oralists or hearing anyway. :\

My husband is HOH and I am perfectly happy in my marriage.

I'm married to hearing person, my hubby of 25 yrs. He really does care about the deaf and being so generous to me and he is the father of my children. :) i can see there is nothing wrong with it.
Lot of my friends thought i was crazy to married to hearing man. They thought hearing men treats deaf women different than hearing women like men tell them as they want them to do this or that and big lack of communication. I dont care what deaf or hearing friends think. They now realized im doing right and theyre wrong. But im notsaying they are wrong. I try to say it is their choice to choose to marry deaf or hearing. When i went to 25th private deaf class reunion (i graduated with) i brought my husband in so they deaf dropped their jaws! As they were surprised to see that even though i dont sign language as much they are. Of course i was surprised to them married to deaf spouses whom signing alot with. Well they grew up in orally in deaf class with me. So we all got along with real well. I mean i was surprised how many of them married to deaf spouses. So i think that was wonderful!
When i was in late teen, i kept wondering how my hearing parents if i get a date and married to deaf one, i assumed they may be anger or upset or disappointed. Or they never wanted married. I never knew. Well the fact is my parents passed away about 24 yrs ago.
Well, when being married to hearing, has to be more patience.

Iam married to a hearing man who can sign. That's the most important thing to me. The rest just falls in place...

I'm married to a hearing person but I just love her for her and that's all that matters.

What I am wondering about is why this is considered a mixed marriage? Yes I understand that one person is deaf and the other is hearing. But aren't we all just people? :dunno2:

What I am wondering about is why this is considered a mixed marriage? Yes I understand that one person is deaf and the other is hearing. But aren't we all just people? :dunno2:

Methodists and Catholics used to be mixed marriage.

White and black.

Differences are what makes mixed marriage. So even though we are all people, there are differences.

How you cope is what is important.

I think that the fact is that it seems to be that some of the deaf like me grow up orally in the mainstream school which I hate that. Some of us got used to being with the hearing person and find that there is intimated and lead to be married. I had married a hearing man and then got the divorce because he does not care about me. 18 years later, I got married to my husband who is hearing also and we have been together for 12 years. He thinks that I can hear with the hearing aid and can understand what he said. He still believes that hearing aid help to make sound perfectly clear just like hearing people think that CI or hearing aid help make sound clear like a bell. Hmmp! Right! I have tried to explained that the hearing aid is not making me hear the words or sounds clearly. My sounds is muffled and I can not pick up the words at all very well. If the words are repeated over and over, then I can recognized some of them. My husband does not understand much about deafness. He knows I signed much better to be able to understand than trying to lipread him. Sometimes I make him write them down on paper if I do not understand what he is saying.

I have deaf classmates from my mainstream school and they are still very much alive, thank goodness. They are the same like me, well maybe one or two. :dunno2: Some of my classmates prefer to married to the deaf husbands and one of the classmates married to the deaf man and they produced deaf children which is genetic. I would love to be married to the deaf man but somehow I was not interest in that because I do not feel the connection, I suppose. Being married to the Deaf man, it would be easier to understand with ASL and can go out anywhere where there were deaf events or communicate with each other comfortable and easy to understand. I do not mind being married to my husband as he is the same race as I am and we are comfortable in our native way, again that is a different story when it comes between hearing and deaf couples. :roll:

:gpost:

Some people are good at adapting to things like one partner having hearing loss. Others aren't. It's about the people, not the hearing status or whatever other status.

Methodists and Catholics used to be mixed marriage.

White and black.

Differences are what makes mixed marriage. So even though we are all people, there are differences.

How you cope is what is important.

TY Bott, I understand completely.

:gpost:

Some people are good at adapting to things like one partner having hearing loss. Others aren't. It's about the people, not the hearing status or whatever other status.

Well since I my father is legally blind I do not see being deaf as 'different'. :dunno2:

Well since I my father is legally blind I do not see being deaf as 'different'. :dunno2:

I'm also blind, but the key is not to think of it like that. Sure, I can think of my wife and my marriage as a "hearing/sighted/black-deaf/blind/white" relationship, or I can just think of it as a her-and-me relationship. Personally I prefer just seeing it as her and me.

Communication is always the key between 2 people. I'm late-deafened, and was so confused as to "which way to go".....so I dated both hearing and deaf, but married hearing and then divorced. Total communication was a failure between us! As for deafies, my ASL was not fluent, so communication was a problem also.....I wonder about other "late-deafened" people?

Communication is always the key between 2 people. I'm late-deafened, and was so confused as to "which way to go".....so I dated both hearing and deaf, but married hearing and then divorced. Total communication was a failure between us! As for deafies, my ASL was not fluent, so communication was a problem also.....I wonder about other "late-deafened" people?

My ASL is far from fluent and my wife doesn't know any ASL at all. We use the Deafblind Manual when I can't understand what she's saying or when there's background noise.

HI, MAYBE YOU CAN FIND LATE-DEAFENED MATCHMAKER SUCH AS SINGLE,DIVORCE OR WIDOWED CLUB !:wave::giggle::P:cool2:

Back