Medicine to Treat Deafness

Hmm... the site doesn't load. It's either taking forever or it's down.

What is it?

Never mind, the site now works.

It's a Chinese website.

The website is even owned by someone in China.

What about your kids? You're not afraid that it may be hereditary?

So what if it is? I do not believe that deafness in any way prevents me from living a full and enjoyable life. So, if my theoretical future kids were also deaf.. what's the big deal? It's no different than them having brown eyes like mine.

What about your kids? You're not afraid that it may be hereditary?

I don't know about you. Many of the Deaf people will see the deafness in their baby as an extra blessing because the baby belong to our Deaf Culture forever.

So what if it is? I do not believe that deafness in any way prevents me from living a full and enjoyable life. So, if my theoretical future kids were also deaf.. what's the big deal? It's no different than them having brown eyes like mine.

I'm sure you are having a full and enjoyable life where you can play sports, poker, have fun at clubs/bars, have many friends, be sociable, have the best job in the world, etc.

To me, I can't. I wish I could be all that I could be but I can't because I'm hearing impaired. I would rather not have kids than to have them born hearing impaired/deaf. I would rather adopt one.

Do you really want them to feel left out in school, can't be sociable, can't go to karaoke, can't enjoy sports, always be left behind in things due to slow learning, and most of all be all that he could be. One day your kid will be old enough to blame you for impaired hearing/deaf. He'll always be pissed in life.

I'm sure you are having a full and enjoyable life where you can play sports, poker, have fun at clubs/bars, have many friends, be sociable, have the best job in the world, etc.

To me, I can't. I wish I could be all that I could be but I can't because I'm hearing impaired. I would rather not have kids than to have them born hearing impaired/deaf. I would rather adopt one.

Do you really want them to feel left out in school, can't be sociable, can't go to karaoke, can't enjoy sports, always be left behind in things due to slow learning, and most of all be all that he could be. One day your kid will be old enough to blame you for impaired hearing/deaf. He'll always be pissed in life.

You can't because you see yourself as impaired. That has nothing to do with your hearing status, it has to do with the way you view yourself. You can be all that you want to be, but you never will be if you continue to use your deafness as an excuse for not trying.

As has been said, it's your use of the word "impaired" that limits you- you preceive yourself as flawed and broken, and because of that, you think that deafness limits your life.

There's no reason why being deaf or HOH stops someone from having friends or being social or obtaining a great job. Bad perspectives about deafness do, though! If YOU don't believe that you are just fine and great as a deaf person, how on earth can you expect a perspective employer or friend to believe you are? (although, I can't comment much about going to clubs or bars or playing poker. My religion doesn't exactly mesh with getting half undressed and dancing in largr crowds. :giggle: )

I believe that I -am- being all that I can be- in spite of deafblindness, I have done some pretty awesome things with my life. I found G-d. I got into one of the best schools in the country and I rocked. I did some good things for people- one of which was pouring my own sweat into getting countless Iraqi schoolchildren backpacks and supplies. I have never been a "slow" learner or limited in that extent- I might do it differently, but I still do it.

Yes, deafness can make life to some extent more difficult, and yes, it does force us to change and adapt in ways that hearing people might not.. but why resent that? What good comes from hating yourself -just as you are, just as you will always be-? Might as well love your differences, it's a great deal more fun than sitting around and hating them.

I would hope that my theoretical future deaf/deafblind child would be influenced by my own perspectives about deafness- that it is simply a difference, not a flaw.

You are concentrating too much on your hearing loss. Could you at least try to forget that you have mild hearing loss. Learn sign language. Try to make some deaf friends (don't complain about your hearing loss to them or you are going to turn them off). Focus on a hobby ... anything but your hearing loss.

You are concentrating too much on your hearing loss. Could you at least try to forget that you have mild hearing loss. Learn sign language. Try to make some deaf friends (don't complain about your hearing loss to them or you are going to turn them off). Focus on a hobby ... anything but your hearing loss.

Somehow, I don't see this poster making deaf friends quite yet. Heaven knows it'd involve them like, verbally attacking an innocent pregnant deaf woman for daring to create a miserable and pathetic deaf child. :laugh2:

Yeah, I do believe it is a lot harder for people who are either deaf or HOH to find a good job. I can relate from my experience/s.

But other things you wrote... I will assume you have two arms and two legs, and a brain that works. So, you can play sports, and you can have fun and clubs/bars (you usually can't hear anything in those places anyway), and you can also have many friends, as well as be sociable. Many hearing people have deaf/HOH partners and vice-versa.

Being deaf/HOH can be bad. I will admit, at one stage I was severely depressed due to my hearing loss. But, look on the brighter side... There are people who are worse off than you. Give yourself a chance rather than say, "I can't...."

I never blamed my parents for my deafness. What I blame is the medical society pressuring my parents to raise me in a strictly oral only environment without exposing me to sign language or Deaf adults so I could have a role model. I was left out cuz the decision was made by the educators and audiologists to place me in the most restrictive environment they could thinking it would make me "normal" only to make it the total opposite for me. I got myself out of that kind of environment.

BTW, I played sports all my life with hearing people...my deafness never stopped me. I also worked with hearing people in nonsigning environments just fine. Now, I play sports with deaf people.

The only problem I had was the attitudes against my deafness. If hearing people can just change that or just understand that I need to face them when chatting, all would be fine.

Right now, my life is great. I have college degrees, a great job, own a house and a great family. Why should I cry about my deafness? There are worse things in life. Just my view.

Last edited:
Back