May I ask a question?

mrsjeffereson

Reaction score
I've been reading through your ASL only thread and I have to say it has helped me understand the grammar of ASL quite a bit more. I have books on call from the library that should be here any day now that will hopefully help (they're well reviewed). I wanted to teach my kids a Bible verse though today with homework, but I don't want to teach it in SEE or something on accident.

The verse is I John 2:15
Do not love the world, or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Would it be ok to sign it-
FIRST J-O-H-N 2 (now I saw on youtube someone do dots in the air, but I have NO clue how verse numbers should be signed correctly, I'll have to research that more unless someone here can point me in the right direction) 15
NOT LOVE WORLD (f/s) or ANY THING IN WORLD IF ANY PERSON LOVE WORLD (I thought maybe I could do what I saw in a song once and point up to God and flow it down to the LOVE sign so it would kind of be like father-love) NOT IN HIM

Did I completely butcher it? Would that make sense to anyone? We don't want to butcher your beautiful language.

Last edited:
Look in your ASL BOOK for the correct signs.

(First) J-O-H-N (Chapter) (Two) (Verse) (fifteen)

You can do the "dots in the air" between (Verse) and (fifteen)
I'll let Reba tell you if that is really necessary

No you can't ask a question.

This reminds me of how my daughter will say "Can I have..." at a fast-food place. If I'm with her I say "no, you can't". Then remind her to just tell the person what she wants. If they don't have it (one of her reasons why she asks), they'll tell her.

I thought I posted a response... Maybe I forgot to hit reply. Apparently I have some English grammar issues too! My husband teases me. My mother had POOR English (not deaf or hoh, just from an uneducated family), so I did my best at school to pick up the correct way to say things, but obviously some things I have missed. lol

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I just want to do this all correctly and not be insulting or appear stupid.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

I spell the book name, use the CHAPTER sign and its number, then the VERSE sign and number/s. I never use the colon dots except in an English class setting.

Back