Math Fun!!!

10 + 10 x 0 =

Votes: 23 53.5%

Votes: 17 39.5%

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Okay, fixed my problem. Now with variables that don't suck and correctly solved in my handy-dandy Notebook++!

Okay, here's a new problem, since I just learned a new type of math:

On a given stretch of highway, 2125 vehicles travel every hour per lane and 25 vehicles travel every mile per lane. To try and reduce the speeding, a police cruiser enters the highway in the left lane and travels the speed limit (65 mph) for a 15 mile stretch of the highway, and then exits. While doing so, no drivers are willing to pass the cop in any lane, and the traffic increases to 30 vehicles every mile per lane.

By the time the cop exits the highway, how much congestion has the cop introduced into the highway behind him/her? (Answer should be in vehicles.)

I'm still waiting for someone to give the answer to this math problem :hmm:

P.S. If no-one does, I might be forced to make an idiot of myself and post my answer which will inevitably be wrong and everyone will laugh at me (I got the original problem wrong as I thought it was '0')

*takes deep breath*

My answer is: 120 vehicles (assuming you don't count fractions of cars)

*waits for everyone to laugh at me for giving wrong answer*

Last edited:
*takes deep breath*

My answer is: 120 vehicles (assuming you don't count fractions of cars)

*waits for everyone to laugh at me for giving wrong answer*

Don't worry, not gonna laugh at you... but nope. I think that was one of the answers Daredevel gave me in a PM. If you want the steps for solving it, PM me and I'll shoot 'em to you.

I'm still trying to figure out why any number to 0 power equals 1.:dizzy: The best I've ever gotten from a math prof was "Because that is the rule." I WANT TO KNOW WHY!! THERE HAS TO BE A WHY BEHIND ANY RULE!!

It's very intuitive to see, for example

6^3=216
6^2=36,
6^1=6,

and as you see why keep dividing by 6,
6^0=1
6^-1=1/6
6^-2=1/36
etc...

also, 6^n times 6^m=6^(m+n) right?

so 6^n*6^0=6^(n+0)=6^n, and this we see that 6^0 must be 1, and this argument is true all numbers (since my proof didn't actually even depend on 6 itself)

Back