Mass casualties at theater showing Batman movie

Agreed. I fully support gun ownership, for reasons already brought up in this thread. But you make very valid point. Personally I think semi automatic weapons that hold more than 10 rounds are literally overkill. If you have a gun to protect your home and family, the chances of your home being invaded by more than 1 or 2 people is astronomically low. If you need more than 10 bullets to stop that person, you need to put your gun down, you suck. Where are all those bullets going that you're missing with? Through the walls? hitting your kids? your dog? your neighbor?

And then you have events such as this, all performed with legal weapons, purchased legally, which for some reason I can't explain seems more tragic, like society actually allowed this to happen. This man didn't have to go through illegal channels to perpetuate his crime. Did you know, that if you were mugged by a person with a knife vs a person with gun, the one with the knife would be likely to use it against you than the person with the gun? I'm not really sure what my point is there, but it's something I find interesting.

With the statement of yours that I highlighted in red, this claim can be refuted because there are certain areas where the chances of a home being invaded would be astronomically HIGH! :P

As for gun ownership, I personally believe the ownership of guns to protect one's home is unnecessary regardless of one's second amendment rights. However, on the other hand, guns are needed for recreational activities such as hunting.

As for James Holmes, he didn't go through illegal channels to perpetuate his crime because he bought all of his weapons legally.

The fact is, there are evil people in this world who want to commit horrific acts against innocent people. They will find a way to fulfill their mad desires, despite any laws.

The fact is, there are evil people in this world who want to commit horrific acts against innocent people. They will find a way to fulfill their mad desires, despite any laws.

You are stating the obvious, Reba. :lol:

With the statement of yours that I highlighted in red, this claim can be refuted because there are certain areas where the chances of a home being invaded would be astronomically HIGH! :P

As for gun ownership, I personally believe the ownership of guns to protect one's home is unnecessary regardless of one's second amendment rights. However, on the other hand, guns are needed for recreational activities such as hunting.

As for James Holmes, he didn't go through illegal channels to perpetuate his crime because he bought all of his weapons legally.
Exactly, that was my point. Oh, and obviously in some areas there is a higher chance of your home being broken into, but not by a posse or something.

Agreed. I fully support gun ownership, for reasons already brought up in this thread. But you make very valid point. Personally I think semi automatic weapons that hold more than 10 rounds are literally overkill. If you have a gun to protect your home and family, the chances of your home being invaded by more than 1 or 2 people is astronomically low. If you need more than 10 bullets to stop that person, you need to put your gun down, you suck. Where are all those bullets going that you're missing with? Through the walls? hitting your kids? your dog? your neighbor?

And then you have events such as this, all performed with legal weapons, purchased legally, which for some reason I can't explain seems more tragic, like society actually allowed this to happen. This man didn't have to go through illegal channels to perpetuate his crime. Did you know, that if you were mugged by a person with a knife vs a person with gun, the one with the knife would be likely to use it against you than the person with the gun? I'm not really sure what my point is there, but it's something I find interesting.

When I lived in Berkeley, California 3 guys tried to break in my apartment and where about to go into my bedroom where my baby was sleeping , I used a big kitchen knife to scarce the guys off and when after them yelling my head off ! I don't a gun would had helped as the guys most likely would tried get it away from me.

I have at least two semi-automatic pistols, a shotgun and a AR-15 assault rifle that I use for target practice. One of these pistols is designed for conceal carry. I have many thirty round mags and a LOT of ammo. I am not alone. Many of my friends and acquaintances have way more than me. Also, I know many pastors and missionaries who travel armed to protect themselves and their families.

No permits required in this state. Only requirement was a NCIS background check on each purchase. When I acquired my CCW license, any new purchases did not need a background check since my CCW license is my proof approved by SC and BATF (national).

For those of you who think nobody should have a gun and wait for police have their head in the sand. If you don't want one, that is fine for you. Your choice. Yes, free country.

If someone breaks into my home at night with a weapon to harm us, I am not going to waste time trying to talk him out of it. The perp will use whatever he has in his hands. Why can't I? Police around here would take 5-10 minutes to get here after a call.

When I was in the Navy, I used these same types of guns plus some full-auto machine guns. So it has been 40 + years handling guns and that does not make me some lunatic planning on mass murder.

Now I have been to movie theaters where you must exit through a door outside and not reenter into the lobby. Door alarms cannot be used. Now there is talk about putting an audible alarm on exit doors. Maybe, depending on the layout of the complex. But now what about the ADA? Should there be a flashing strobe also? Wouldn't that interrupt watching a film? Should there now be local, state and federal laws regulating? More regulations will only help the politicians and we will be miserable. Criminals hate obstacles like armed citizens. Lunatics can never be regulated, controlled or banned. It is up to everyone to keep alert.

I applaud President Obama for going to CO and meeting with victim's families.

Last edited:
I have at least two semi-automatic pistols, a shotgun and a AR-15 assault rifle that I use for target practice. One of these pistols is designed for conceal carry. I have many thirty round mags and a LOT of ammo. I am not alone. Many of my friends and acquaintances have way more than me. Also, I know many pastors and missionaries who travel armed to protect themselves and their families.

No permits required in this state. Only requirement was a NCIS background check on each purchase. When I acquired my CCW license, any new purchases did not need a background check since my CCW license is my proof approved by SC and BATF (national).

For those of you who think nobody should have a gun and wait for police have their head in the sand. If you don't want one, that is fine for you. Your choice. Yes, free country.

If someone breaks into my home at night with a weapon to harm us, I am not going to waste time trying to talk him out of it. The perp will use whatever he has in his hands. Why can't I? Police around here would take 5-10 minutes to get here after a call.

When I was in the Navy, I used these same types of guns plus some full-auto machine guns. So it has been 40 + years handling guns and that does not make me some lunatic planning on mass murder.

Now I have been to movie theaters where you must exit through a door outside and not reenter into the lobby. Door alarms cannot be used. Now there is talk about putting an audible alarm on exit doors. Maybe, depending on the layout of the complex. But now what about the ADA? Should there be a flashing strobe also? Wouldn't that interrupt watching a film? Should there now be local, state and federal laws regulating? More regulations will only help the politicians and we will be miserable. Criminals hate obstacles like armed citizens. Lunatics can never be regulated, controlled or banned. It is up to everyone to keep alert.

I applaud President Obama for going to CO and meeting with victim's families. Around 30 U.S. military died this month. Did not hear anything from the President on their deaths or meeting with any of their families where many were killed of a same unit in the same city. Must be what's important or who's important. :hmm:

Not to open any cans of worms, but with the statement highlighted in red, it is ridiculous for religious leaders to be armed with weapons.

With the statement highlighted in cyan, it is not the gun that kills people. It is simply people that kills people. A gun by itself cannot kill. Only the wielder does. With the recent mug shots of James Holmes, it looks he's deranged. This is why people have raised the possibility of him being on medication. Perhaps he overdosed on Zoloft one too many times?

With the statement highlighted in dark orchid, this raises a very good question.

Not to open any cans of worms, but with the statement highlighted in red, it is ridiculous for religious leaders to be armed with weapons.
Why not? They travel and live in dangerous areas, hunt, and sport shoot, too.

Well, they are human also with the same feelings. You can have faith in God to protect you as a member of clergy, however, it is still not wise to walk in 65 mph traffic. :P

Some pastors even receive death threats! Better safe than sorry! God didn't intend for us to be stupid! He wants us to use some good common sense!

Some pastors even receive death threats! Better safe than sorry! God didn't intend for us to be stupid! He wants us to use some good common sense!
Right. It's still an option. No one says that they all should do that.

Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

Why has no one been discussing the other shooting in Aurora just a few months ago?

Suspect In Aurora, Colo. Church Shooting Identified, Had Been In Prison

A man who shot and killed a woman at a Colorado church before he was killed by an off-duty police officer had been released early from an Oklahoma prison after serving time for assaulting two officers, authorities said Tuesday.

The unanswered question is "how many more people would have been victims, if it had not been for the other guy who shot him?"

I have seen, time and again, these types of lunatics getting away with high numbers of casualties at places where it is illegal to carry. Fort Hood is one example. And ... I still do not understand why a fighter pilot can be zipping through the sky with an armed nuke, but cannot carry a sidearm while on base.

Now that's settled. Back to the topic.

I'm concerned about the wounded victims. Some of them have grievous physical injuries that will take a long time to heal. They and the people who weren't injured will also have long-term emotional pain to overcome. :(

Reba, I know I have discussed this before, but I was a victim of a person who later went on a killing spree. The person did something very horrible to me and my older brother when we were just kids. I can empathize with the the victims in this shooting, except for the fact that I was not shoved into the spotlight on international news.

That would be quite a hurdle to have overcome if every single person alive knew what happened to me.

edit: This may be important that he did not use a gun. And like Tincansailor said, you cannot regulate lunacy.

Reba, I know I have discussed this before, but I was a victim of a person who later went on a killing spree. The person did something very horrible to me and my older brother when we were just kids. I can empathize with the the victims in this shooting, except for the fact that I was not shoved into the spotlight on international news.

That would be quite a hurdle to have overcome if every single person alive knew what happened to me.
I'm very sorry about that. :(

There is no needs for a citizen to own guns like Holmes brought. I have nohting against people owning a gun but to there need to be some control on the kinds of guns people can buy.

He did not buy the gun as is that was used in massacre. He assembled it.

He did not buy the gun as is that was used in massacre. He assembled it.

He did buy the guns and he bought the magazines for the guns. There was no assembling done to the point where he created a new weapon. He only used the parts that were designed to be added to the guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
He did buy the guns and he bought the magazines for the guns. There was no assembling done to the point where he created a new weapon. He only used the parts that were designed to be added to the guns.

Still assembling. Take it or leave it.

what Bebonang said. the gun in its original design isn't really designed for "massacre". he assembled it into a disgusting killing machine.

Back