• Who the hell is Martha Stewart?

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

The*Empress

Reaction score
Martha Stewart Released From Prison
Whisked Past Reporters at 12:30 A.M. Eastern Time Friday
By Larry Downing, Reuters

Martha is saying goodbye to Alderson Federal Prison Camp.

ALDERSON, W.Va. (March 4) - Martha Stewart, the lifestyle trendsetter who built a media empire, was set free from a West Virginia prison early Friday after serving five months for lying to investigators about a stock trade.

She was released at 12:30 a.m. , slipped into a car that drove passed reporters and camera crews waiting outside the prison gate and began the 30 minute ride to a local airport, where more journalists were waiting.

Stewart, whose trial and sentencing last year captured national attention, was expected to fly to her 153-acre suburban estate in Bedford, New York, to resume a whirl of TV and media projects despite having to serve a further five months of house arrest.

Wearing an electronic surveillance bracelet and monitored by federal authorities, Stewart, 63, will be allowed to leave her home for 48 hours weekly to go to her office.

And she has plenty to do. Pending projects include a new television show, "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart," a spin-off of the popular Donald Trump reality TV show, to be produced by Mark Burnett, who also created the hit show "Survivor".

She also will have a new daytime cooking and lifestyle TV show and will resume collecting her $900,000-a-year salary plus bonuses as the creative force of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia .

Stewart, who resigned as chairman and chief executive of the company, is reportedly in talks with the Securities and Exchange Commission in hopes of being allowed to resume a leading executive role.

In her five-month absence, the value of stock in her company has more than doubled. It is a far cry from last year when, in the wake of her conviction, the stock price sank, CBS dropped her TV show and advertisers shunned her company magazines.

The national media was camped outside Alderson Federal prison waiting for her release. TV networks hired helicopters to hover overhead and photographers staked out local airports.

With few hard facts, tabloids went into overdrive with speculation. New York's Daily News said if Stewart walked out of prison in "a brisk stride," she's strong and defiant. "Slower, heavier steps" will mean a thoughtful, more humble Stewart, it said.

The New York Post reported that Stewart would leave prison several pounds lighter than she went in, despite "acquiring a love for chicken wings from the prison vending machines."

Not that Stewart hasn't been busy at the prison.

Stewart will wear an electronic anklet to monitor her whereabouts during her home confinement.

According to her magazine "Martha Stewart Living," she has foraged for dandelion greens to improve the prison fare, whipped up impromptu microwave recipes, taught yoga, read Bob Dylan's autobiography, made a ceramic Nativity scene for her mother and crocheted toy opossums for her dogs.

In anticipation of getting out, she ordered seeds and made to-do lists.

Fans were just as excited. The Web site www.savemartha.com featured a clock counting down the minutes until her release and suggestions for throwing a "Free Martha" party -- Trade recipes and serve a spring-like buffet.

Stewart, who built a catering company into a media empire of lifestyle magazines, cookbooks and television shows, was found guilty in March 2004 of conspiracy and making false statements.

She will have 72 hours after her release to report to the probation department in White Plains, N.Y., officials said. A probation officer will set up an appointment to install an electronic monitoring system in her home.

Again the justice system in america is a joke.The wealthy will only get less time in jail then the poor. If marthia commit that crime in germany she would get 2 years of sheer hell.

i'm somewhat not glad she's out... now i look at her like a regular person.. she's no famous to me...

whoever worships her.. thats good.. as long she does it. one selfish person i ever heard and greedy.. and yeah i do bash her so much

So What...
Wha.. about her ?

Never like her at all.. She already got out from jail but have to stay home for another 5 mos.. She has 900k a year receives.. ain't worries about anything else...

I'm probably gonna be in the minority when this poll is finally over, but I am glad she is out. She served her time, and now, should go about building a new life for herself.

Oceanbreeze said:
I'm probably gonna be in the minority when this poll is finally over, but I am glad she is out. She served her time, and now, should go about building a new life for herself.

True, Oceanbreeze. She improve her mistake next time. Nobody are prefect.

ravensteve1961 said:
Again the justice system in america is a joke.The wealthy will only get less time in jail then the poor. If marthia commit that crime in germany she would get 2 years of sheer hell.

The way she was sentenced had nothing to do with her celebrity status, but the type of crime she was convicted of. And, actually, the fact that she was convicted, was a crock in my opinion. What she did wasn't going to hurt anybody, and it really amounts to the fact that she probably pissed off somebody, and they in turn, hung her out to dry. Personally, I think it's a shame.

I'm glad to see she's out, and I hope the projects she has planned for herself do well. She deserves to do well.

Martha is Small Potatoes

Please. Martha is Small potatoes.

Why sin't Kenneth Lay in jail?

THAT is the important question.

He stole hundreds of millions of dollars from hard working people
when his company went under due to his lying about the value
of the stock. Enron....

But where is Kenneth Lay? Why isn't he in jail?

Instead, we put Martha in jail, who lied about something she did. She
went to jail because she lied, not because she did that thing.

Please!

Let's focus on the real problem people here!

Martha leaves jail 'richer' than she was when she got in. She should donate the money she made while in jail to charity.

Donate it to NAD or OCDAC.

Richard

It is not a big deal to me but as I've learned about it in the news saying that she will be under house arrest for another 5 months plus having helicopters hovering over her estate watching her every move. Ouch.

Lying to government about the stock is gonna cost her.

Serendipity said:
It is not a big deal to me but as I've learned about it in the news saying that she will be under house arrest for another 5 months plus having helicopters hovering over her estate watching her every move. Ouch.

Lying to government about the stock is gonna cost her.

Eh, not really. She'll be fine.

cady75 said:
Please. Martha is Small potatoes.

Why sin't Kenneth Lay in jail?

THAT is the important question.

He stole hundreds of millions of dollars from hard working people
when his company went under due to his lying about the value
of the stock. Enron....

But where is Kenneth Lay? Why isn't he in jail?

Instead, we put Martha in jail, who lied about something she did. She
went to jail because she lied, not because she did that thing.

Please!

Let's focus on the real problem people here!

Why wasnt bill clinton in jail? THAT is a very important question.
He lied to the american people,Lied to congress and lied under oath.
Look at ollie north he went to prison for lying to the american people,Lying to congress and he did lie under oath.

But where is Bill clinton? Why isn't he in jail?
Is it because hes a democrat politican and democrat politicans have the right to break the laws? And do they have the right to be racist than the republican politicans do?

Instead ollie north went to prison and nether did reagan nor bush did pardon him But instead bill clinton pardoned a billionare named marc rich who owed millions of dollars to the IRS. But ollie north got even he told the press that ronald reagan knew everything about IRAN Contra affair. And ollie north ran for governor of virgina and then nancy reagan got even and whined to a group of people telling how ollie north let my husband down. And Ollie north is a true hero! Why is it good people and heroes get the bad thing go against them? But scumbags like bill clinton and other democrat politicans dont face the consequences?

Personally, I believe Martha got screwed cuz of men. For one thing, she was the first lady to rise in the ranks as a stockbroker on the FLOOR. Then what they jailed her for, men commit every day, day in and day out! Machismo, male chauvinism, etc at its best.

Btw, I'm a guy. :thumb:

6 months ago...

"I'll be back."

-bitchy terminator martha stewart.

ravensteve1961 said:
Why wasnt bill clinton in jail? THAT is a very important question.
He lied to the american people,Lied to congress and lied under oath.
Look at ollie north he went to prison for lying to the american people,Lying to congress and he did lie under oath.

But where is Bill clinton? Why isn't he in jail?
Is it because hes a democrat politican and democrat politicans have the right to break the laws? And do they have the right to be racist than the republican politicans do?

Instead ollie north went to prison and nether did reagan nor bush did pardon him But instead bill clinton pardoned a billionare named marc rich who owed millions of dollars to the IRS. But ollie north got even he told the press that ronald reagan knew everything about IRAN Contra affair. And ollie north ran for governor of virgina and then nancy reagan got even and whined to a group of people telling how ollie north let my husband down. And Ollie north is a true hero! Why is it good people and heroes get the bad thing go against them? But scumbags like bill clinton and other democrat politicans dont face the consequences?
since when is it against the law for people to have sex with other people while they are married?

Steel said:
since when is it against the law for people to have sex with other people while they are married?
I remember when it used to be illegal throughout the United States; it is still illegal for people in the military (it is called "adultery").

Nevertheless, it is still illegal to lie under oath. That was the charge against Bill Clinton, not adultery.

Is it legal for Bush to blatantly lie to the American people to drag us into a war?

Beowulf said:
Is it legal for Bush to blatantly lie to the American people to drag us into a war?

Yes it's called "Executive Privilage"

R~

Back