Marlee Matlin

<If she was at a party I'm sure she was very busy, don't you think? A million people must be demanding her attention all the time! It would have been nice if she had listened to you for just a minute, but I don't think it is fair to say that she is rude, stuck up, and success has gone to her head based on that one encounter. I have heard mostly very nice things about her.>>

You have "heard" mostly very nice things about her? I'm sure they happened at public gatherings like movie premieres, award shows, book signing, interviews, etc., where she savoured positive attentions from media, thus putting on a "friendly, Miss Nice" mask. However, at a party, she was a different personality. This party was not huge ... it was an all deaf party and she didn't look like she was very busy. If she wanted to be well-liked, be perceived as friendly and gain a huge fan base, she should treat EVERY ONE with respect, kindness and courtesy but obviously those are not in her vocabulary.

Maybe she was having a bad day, or she was sick and had to go to the bathroom. Or maybe she is a jerk. I will never know, probably! I'd love to meet her but I don't know when I will have the chance, oh well.

<<Well of course. The Academy Awards are MUCH better known than the Tony Awards. I have no idea when the Tonys are or who wins them each year, they just don't get the same publicity as the Oscars. So yes, of course she is more famous, because more people watch the Oscars. Also, Marlee has played on more mainstream TV than Phyllis. In the past 20 years, Phyllis has been on two episodes of E.R., one episode of Diagnosis Murder, two shows that are pretty well known. In the past 20 years, Marlee has been a regular character on The L Word, The West Wing, Picket Fences, and Reasonable Doubts. She has guest starred on things like Nip/Tuck, My Name is Earl, CSI, Law and Order, Desperate Housewives, E.R., and lots of other stuff. If you look at how much exposure Marlee gets compared to how much Phyllis gets, of course Marlee is more popular and famous. Phyllis is a wonderful actress and I'm sure she can take jobs whenever she wants, so she is CHOOSING to work the amount that she does. Marlee can also choose how much she wants to work, and she does more work than Phyllis. It has nothing to do with Marlee is more famous BECAUSE of the Oscar...it's how much work she does that the public sees, a lot more than Phyllis...plain and simple.>>

You don't need to go in depth about Marlee's acting credits... I already knew the shows she has been on, so there's no point in outlining them specifically. Yes, the type of award that she won has made her what she is now. When somebody wins an Oscar Academy Award, she gets offered many acting roles, so she has an advantage of becoming popular or famous. I was merely answering Aquablue's question of why she is popular, not the others, so you don't need to be defensive. As for Phyllis, FYI, she has acted in more shows that you mentioned... Sue Thomas FBYeye, Hunter, Pacific Blue, LA Law, ER, DX Murder, LINS, Gimme Break, etc.

Don't let your dislike of Marlee be an issue for you. Because If people that don't like her for the way she behave to the deaf world, then it seem like it a jealous thing. But I do know some people that had worked with her in the movie from the Children of the Lasser God movie says she seems nice person. As for Phyllis Fliench she a great woman and wonderful actress and most of us all know her from MSSD that have a brother that worked there. But speaking of "sucess" can go to anybody head. So, not just only Marlee Matlin. I am sure there are plenty of people out there let sucess go to their head don't always means they are bad people. I have problem with Marlee and her sucess in life. But I can tell that in other words that I seen her been very caring to people and donating her time to help other poor deaf children that can't afford to get hearing aids. I think that says lot. :)

Agreed. I also would like to add this on my part - Marlee is the first deaf actress to win an academy award. That alone carried a lot of weight and it did indeed broke a lot of barriers. It gave a glimpse of how deaf people were able to incline their selves into the hearing world. She was also a "pioneer" to represent the deaf community in the films on a major level, especially when it comes to be able to bridge the gaps between both worlds.

its true she did break a lot of barriers. Yay for Marlee! :applause:

Yeah, we know that Marlee Matlin was great and break the barrier for other Deaf actors and actresses. If you watch her behave whether on TV or out in public eye, you will find her not being so nice very much. She is not really totally deaf, but hard of hearing with a hearing aid. That is okay. When a person get into fame, people change. That is why we don't much like her altitude. There are very few actors/actresses that did not get affect by the fame. Just watch her what she is behaving. :hmm:

I am a big fan of The L Word show, and I am actually waiting for season 5 dvd to come out because I do not have Showtime. I was thrilled to have Marlee to be part of the show's cast to portray a Deaf lesbian character when she entered in season 4. However, I rather have Jennifer Beal(Bette) to myself than Marlee... :giggle:

AMEN! She is so hot!

She is not really totally deaf, but hard of hearing with a hearing aid. That is okay.
What? She lost 100% of her hearing in one ear and 80% in the other ear. So she is profoundly deaf in BOTH ears. She is not hard of hearing at all.

Always admire her in her own ways. She is a strong woman. I am sure she will find a way to fight for CC for the movies and tv shows. I just wish that some people get to see other famous deaf actors or actress than just one like her.

Marlee.

An individul who distance herself from the community/culture of the deaf. What is the reason, I don't know, but I can guess.

Deaf is too isolated about themselves. I mean, deaf is part of disability that alters your life. To her, well, to me, it doesn't feel like that. It just changes my perspective of the world.

You wanna know what it is.

The world is cruel and full of lies. It's attached to the strings controlled by the puppeteer. At least I'm not attached to that string, because I am on the side, making my own economy since the world is losing their. Typical.

Not culturally Deaf enough. It means a deaf person who has adopted to hearing culture behavior instead of Deaf culture behavior. I was accused of not being Deaf enough numerous times due to my oral-only upbringing despite having a severe to profound hearing loss in both ears since birth.

Hmmm, sounds like I'm "not culturally Deaf enough". Hey, that is OK!!!! At least I love and appreciate my Deaf friends out there.

Because of this, it's easier to understand the Black culture and how the color of skin has a factor in some aspects of that culture.

hi to all members mayday i need yur help please

hi i have seen all of marlee matlin films expect one films i never seen fbi eye i could'nt find it
need yur help frm magican.:bowdown:

hi i have seen all of marlee matlin films expect one films i never seen fbi eye i could'nt find it
need yur help frm magican.:bowdown:

F.B.Eye was a TV show starring Deanne Bray, it is not a movie and doesn't star Marlee Matlin. You might be able to find it on YouTube.

I might be wrong because I am new to Deaf culture but this is the impression I got.

I think she's popular because she brought a lot of awareness to people who otherwise never would have heard of Deaf culture. I know when I first started looking into Deaf culture, Marlee Matlin was pretty much the only image I had of it. She incorporated a lot of sign language in her shows/movies like Reasonable Doubts (where she's a main character and signs most of the time) and Children of a Lesser God. And of course it's debatable but a lot of people think she is a very good actress. I think a lot of people got into ASL and Deaf culture through Marlee Matlin.

As for her Deaf identity I wonder if she sometimes uses voice to show other people that many Deaf people can talk.

Back