Marlee Matlin into deaf culture or not?

dont even remember, why do you?!...just i prefer Amanda Peet, she's gorgeous in my eyes
and she has way better smiles, MM is kinda too cold...which beats me why shes so famous, apart from the 'big break' from that old film 'children of the lesser god'
couldnt careless anyway

People hit below the belt with all the comments about this woman's looks. Are you so attractive yourself? Try holding your own in her job before you cast stones. I'll bet she has more talent than many of the hearing and deaf actors working today. She's certainly strong and determined, and unlike the rest of Hollyweird, she's managed to raise her children and sustain a healthy and happy marriage. Kudos to her.

i shave my face too you know, sometimes i don't and I dont wear bras unless if a frock then its stuffed with tisse papers lol

Last edited:
only joking, nah well im not that bad looking, check out the 'pics of you' thread im not an actor, dont wanna too lol, to act you either have it, or you don't.

dont even remember, why do you?!...just i prefer Amanda Peet, she's gorgeous in my eyes
and she has way better smiles, MM is kinda too cold...which beats me why shes so famous, apart from the 'big break' from that old film 'children of the lesser god'
couldnt careless anyway
I can't forget when MM won the best actress award for Children of Lesser God. I just couldn't believe it because in that movie, she signed so fast to the teacher who fell in love with her and knew sign language very little. That's impossible in our deaf culture. I guess the judges knew no shit about the deaf culture so they chose her.

Amanda Peet is hearing so how can you compare them?

Seriously, do people follow their favorite television actors and their lifestyle, views on volunteering, charities and nonprofit?

That would include anybody's lives like Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks, Bryan Cranston, Ken Jeong, Scarlett Johansson, Sandra Bullock... etc. Do you look to see if they supported the right charity and what they did for those charities?

I can't forget when MM won the best actress award for Children of Lesser God. I just couldn't believe it because in that movie, she signed so fast to the teacher who fell in love with her and knew sign language very little. That's impossible in our deaf culture. I guess the judges knew no shit about the deaf culture so they chose her.

Amanda Peet is hearing so how can you compare them?

i dont give a damn if deaf or hearing, Amanda Peet is way better looking that the ugly Marlee Matlin, let me ask you, how come she hasnt been in any movies lately? she's like last week's bread.

i dont give a damn if deaf or hearing, Amanda Peet is way better looking that the ugly Marlee Matlin, let me ask you, how come she hasnt been in any movies lately? she's like last week's bread.
Oh, MM's already stale? :lol:

Before I begin I want to make it clear that I have read the entire thread myself from the beginning. The field of professional acting is a very demanding and stressful environment by any standard. I personally know I wouldn't be cut out for that type of life as I prefer my privacy. What's more, Marlee Matlin has raised her family and showed support for the D/HH community in her own way. Kudos to her for all that.

It is my opinion that social progress for the D/HH community occurs when we start to think seriously about what contributions we can make, when we start to speak up and advocate for ourselves, and when we start to work together with--not against--the hearing community. This is just my opinion, and you are more than welcome to disagree.

I am aware that some of us may be resistant in wanting to work with the hearing community towards a better future for everyone where both cultures are tolerated, especially after the unthinkable wrongs / oppression we have had to and continue to experience. It doesn't mean that we should give up trying for a better future. The hearing community has always been there and always will be. It is up to us whether we want to spend time fighting them or trying to work with them.

Please note that I am NOT advocating for the elimination of ASL, the increased use of cochlear implant technology, et cetera. I just want to see the hearing community have a greater understanding and acceptance of the Deaf culture and ASL. And if that is going to happen, the D/HH community needs to show just as much respect for the hearing community. Sometimes you just can't earn respect until you give it first.

I love both the hearing and the D/deaf communities. I just am tired of the culture war.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

Last edited:
She deafie, she signs.
thats the important thing to me. i also found her to be a bitch personally but im an asshole so thats cool too.
As for her great acting, well, not to be rude but she did bed the leading man, and a very well conected leading man i should add.
it was her marrying a cop that i scratch my head about ah well.
keep up good work.girl
You deafie always,
Wink

She deafie, she signs.
thats the important thing to me. i also found her to be a bitch personally but im an asshole so thats cool too.
As for her great acting, well, not to be rude but she did bed the leading man, and a very well conected leading man i should add.
it was her marrying a cop that i scratch my head about ah well.
keep up good work.girl
You deafie always,
Wink

You scratch your head cuz she married a cop? I guess you forgot she's an actress......must have fooled you....:lol:

I noticed one thing about MM.... she's a germophobic. maybe I'm wrong.

I noticed one thing about MM.... she's a germophobic. maybe I'm wrong.

really>? where did you see that? lol she does hang out with some of my friends in the west coast. I dont know her and havent met her.. who knows one of those days i will.

As you may be aware, she got involved with NAD to speak up for captioning on Netflix and it was a big success. Look how Netflix is doing on captioning... MUCH better.

We should thank MM for getting involved. I hope she will do more in the future (including helping deaf children in other countries [she did advocate a HA manufacturer to give free HAs to deaf children in another country but I don't believe that it was helping ALL of them]).

Im still flabbergasted that the OP of the thread was upset over Deaf Olympic vs Special Olympics. FYI special olympics include deaf special needs people too! What the difference? Both have deaf participants.

To be honest with you....Deaf Olympic is great cause as several of friends been participants but I love special olympics better as my special needs client who are deaf as well participate. They interact well with hearing participants as its a common bonding between all of them. Its just more fun and everyone wins in some way.

Why be judgemental of other deaf people for what they support/do. There is no rule book what must be done for Deaf culture.

I see many pictures of her with famous deaf people in Los Angeles on her instagram and facebook. It does not matter to me what charities she is involved with because there are so many to choose. Everyone is different.

Back