Marlee Matlin into deaf culture or not?

download 'Reasonable Doubts' a tv series from the early 90's , that's her.

Wrong movie grump. You want to point him to Children of a Lesser God. I fell in love with her after seeing her swimming nude with Hurt. Deaf mammaries are great

tv series not a movies, she was IN it, google a wiki for yourself!, it says so.

,,,and id must say its strange that many of youse are 'defending' her as she may or may not in right in a Deaf culture, for she's famous, like fame is protecting her. is that fair? i dont think so.

I definitely enjoy your posts you have a lot to say, and its extremely enlightening you come across as a Sociologist haha. Never knew just how bad these issue can get within deaf/Deaf community.

sorry i was so drunk when i wrote it, forgotten it all week, now i recalled, just been busy on an essay and same time building a kennel run outside, chaotic week!

and I still agree with what i said, it has been manipulated, and I really wish d/Deafs here would be more enlightened about it, but nope, its impossible and i cant force consciousness to grow...its like we're still in the dark age, think the awareness of Blacks in america just beginning to glow before it got sparked off, in the 1950s....

Somehow I don't think Ms. Matlin is losing sleep over this thread or anyone's opinions of her. Her priority has been and always will be her family. Who cares what anyone thinks about her?

Somehow I don't think Ms. Matlin is losing sleep over this thread or anyone's opinions of her. Her priority has been and always will be her family. Who cares what anyone thinks about her?

I concur she probably doesn't losing sleep over this thread.

However I do cares about how hearie perceives deaf. As far as it goes, many hearie people think Marlee Matlin is a "representative" of deaf or hearing impaired populace without knowing how some members of the d/Deaf community view her, let alone why.

While I "commend" on her "successes" in the Hollywood and on the Celebrity Apprentice, personally I dont have too much of respect for her and I am waiting for someone to dethrone her. Dont ask me why.

However I do cares about how hearie perceives deaf. As far as it goes, many hearie people think Marlee Matlin is a "representative" of deaf or hearing impaired populace without knowing how some members of the d/Deaf community view her, let alone why.

While I "commend" on her "successes" in the Hollywood and on the Celebrity Apprentice, personally I dont have too much of respect for her and I am waiting for someone to dethrone her. Dont ask me why.

She's deaf. That's enough for me..

...probably thats what Hollywood wants you to think, so they get a 'fresh face' when they need it...
Marlene is holding a steely face, with all this clever impressions, you see, it's the on-screen personality, and some of it is spun with her own 'stories' to legitimise her on-screen status.

..i am hardly surprised..

No she's not, Ms. Matlin has always represented herself and stated she's not a poster girl for the deaf community. I remember that interview well and it was back in the 80's. I commend her for wanting to distance herself from sterotypes from not only the hearing community, but the deaf as well. She shouldn't have to be your poster girl. Represent yourself.

Matlin has been the most active deaf awareness advocate there ever has been. No other deaf has had her exposure. Her apprentince appearance where she came in second was. Really great for deaf awareness, you had her interperter there too.

And yes grump,, look up Children of a Lesser God. It was a movie she did. I am aware of her tv shows. After all I am deaf too.

No she's not, Ms. Matlin has always represented herself and stated she's not a poster girl for the deaf community. I remember that interview well and it was back in the 80's. I commend her for wanting to distance herself from sterotypes from not only the hearing community, but the deaf as well. She shouldn't have to be your poster girl. Represent yourself.

She isn't my poster girl, not at all. :) Why would she be my poster girl when I don't respect her?

Anyway I'll be brave here and voice my thoughts.

One of my peeves is that some of hearing community made her to be the poster girl.

"Can't you learn to speak well like Marlee Matlin? Can't you hear with hearing aid?" for the starters. I have to educate those hearie that not all deaf are the same...it is akin to assuming all blind cannot see and need guide cane to get around.

Can't she correct some of those hearie people's beliefs on the notion about deaf should be able to speak well with speech therapy and hear with help of hearing aid?

Matlin has been the most active deaf awareness advocate there ever has been. No other deaf has had her exposure. Her apprentince appearance where she came in second was. Really great for deaf awareness, you had her interperter there too.

Exactly...Other deaf activists could use the exposures.

No, hearing peole don't want to paid any attention to other deaf activists, only Marlee Matlin. Average deaf activist has a harder time because she/he isn't famous in general populace, and perhaps isnt gorgeous, due to no fault of his/her.

Maybe it is up to Marlee Matlin, and it is her duty to tell the hearing community, "hey, we need help with other deaf-related issues, cant you help those deaf activists raise funds to advocate certain issues"?

Deaf Awareness-through Celebrity Apprentice---yes, but too much of Starkey Hearing Foundation--hearing aids for poor children in other countries. Why not encourages sign language education in those countries too? I wonder where those children get new batteries for their hearing aid? How about deaf-related issues in our own country, her own home country? Just a food for thought.

As JK Rowling would say: "You have a moral responsibility, when you've been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently"

yes grump,, look up Children of a Lesser God. It was a movie she did. I am aware of her tv shows. After all I am deaf too.

In my own opinion, Marlee Matlin didn't do anything extraordinary when it comes to her acting in Children of Lesser God. She got luck to land the role and to win the Academy/Oscar Award, not to mention the advantage of having gorgeous body. Her facial expression, body language, and body gestures is how ASL native users communicate with each other. There is nothing special about it. It seems special to hearie--they goes "wow..very expressive". Ever since, she is glorified in both good and bad ways. Again, that's my own opinion. :roll:

I got tired of see her on various television shows all the time, again and again for a long time. Now that seem to change as more other deaf actors/actresses are starting to appears on screen. It is about time hollywood give the others a chance.

There is more....but it seems the topic about Marlee Matlin seem to be hot button throughout the deaf community and likewise in here.

Okay..... time for me to step out... :iough:

She isn't my poster girl, not at all. :) Why would she be my poster girl when I don't respect her?

Anyway I'll be brave here and voice my thoughts.

One of my peeves is that some of hearing community made her to be the poster girl.

"Can't you learn to speak well like Marlee Matlin? Can't you hear with hearing aid?" for the starters. I have to educate those hearie that not all deaf are the same...it is akin to assuming all blind cannot see and need guide cane to get around.

You're not respecting her because she's not deaf enough for you is your problem. The hearing world never used her in the way you suggest and it sounds like a personal issue with you....from my experience and her interviews, the deaf community tried to throw that label on her - in much the same way you're throwing out labels left and right in your post. Ms. Matlin was very clear about her limitations early on in her career. She was also a tireless advocate of the deaf...that you chose to ignore her because she doesn't measure up to your standards, speaks to your insecurities. It sounds to me that many people are jealous of her success and angry at her for not dragging their lazy behind along for the ride. Stop looking for someone to be your voice. You have Sign, you have a keyboard, you have a mouth -if she can advocate for herself, so can anyone...so stop complaining that she hasn't done enough for you. You're not her family.

Each are entitled to his/her own opinions.

I respect your opinion because it is an honest one. Some people on this site don't believe that opinion exist anymore so I have even more respect for it. And, I thank you for that..

Just keep in mind, Marlee Matlin is in this position because of her career. If she did any other type of work, we wouldn't be having this conversation. And, she doesn't owe anybody anything..

If that is the case, where was she during the Gally strikes?

She was at the protest in 1988. I saw the pictures. She was on Board of Trustees at Gallaudet during 2006 protest. I am pretty sure that she wasn't allowed to protest with students.

You're not respecting her because she's not deaf enough for you is your problem. The hearing world never used her in the way you suggest and it sounds like a personal issue with you....from my experience and her interviews, the deaf community tried to throw that label on her - in much the same way you're throwing out labels left and right in your post. Ms. Matlin was very clear about her limitations early on in her career. She was also a tireless advocate of the deaf...that you chose to ignore her because she doesn't measure up to your standards, speaks to your insecurities. It sounds to me that many people are jealous of her success and angry at her for not dragging their lazy behind along for the ride. Stop looking for someone to be your voice. You have Sign, you have a keyboard, you have a mouth -if she can advocate for herself, so can anyone...so stop complaining that she hasn't done enough for you. You're not her family.

She said the hearing people made MM the poster girl. She was complaining that hearing society compared her to MM as far as speech skills go which I believe because it has happened to me with Heather Whitestone.
One example is ...."Why don't I get myself fixed like she did?"

Yea, it is a pain in the rear!

I like her as an actress. I don't know her otherwise. I've seen her TV shows and movies. Even watched some interviews. I enjoyed them.

Deaf or not, I'm pretty tired of people looking up to celebrity as a role model. It's sad that many people don't have role models that they personally know. How about focus on finding role model that you can personally rely on instead of all this glamour biz?

Deaf or not, I'm pretty tired of people looking up to celebrity as a role model. It's sad that many people don't have role models that they personally know. How about focus on finding role model that you can personally rely on instead of all this glamour biz?
How about a deaf ferret as our role model?

Back