Marlee Matlin, "I'll Scream Later"

natty_4ever

Reaction score
I tried to do a search for this, because I thought someone might've brought this up already, but didn't see anything on it!

So, have any of you read Matlin's book, "I'll Scream Later" ? Opinions?

I might read it soon.

One of my best friends read it and she LOVED IT. I am on the waiting list to read it after our other friend. She said it great and a fast read that she just couldn't put down.

I have the book - bought it from gallaudet University but yet hasn't finished reading, however didn't have the time..........

It was definitely a fast read! I read it today. It was interesting to see her take on her deafness, as well as see other parts of her life, like how she was raised. I'd read it if you are interested in seeing some of Marlee's history. :)

Yeah, I have completed reading it from last year. I suspect 1/4 of her story were full of shit. 3 times sexually abused (rape and molestation by three different persons - by her father at toddler age, by a female babysitter at age 11, by her High School teacher at teenage) in her young life...it sounded too good to be true. :roll: If she happened to be sexually abused once, by somebody else outside of her family, it would be easier to believe the facts. Molested/raped by her own father? Oh please. I don't think so since they still see each other and contact as a family does including a recent family photo.

I don't remember reading about her being molested by her father, just the other two. If it wasn't true though, wouldn't her mom or dad have said something about it?

She was abused by William Hurt too. a movie star

Yeah, most of us knew William was a bad guy in real life...he was so shady.

Sorry, my bad that about her father whose sexually abused Marlee wasn't in the book, but said in her interview on some tv show. I know it is hard to believe her bullshit 'cause she had never dared to call the Big Brothers or the authorities to even get a justice. She'd let them perverts go free. She must've enjoyed it so often after so-called "first rape" by her teacher. :roll:

Yeah, I have completed reading it from last year. I suspect 1/4 of her story were full of shit. 3 times sexually abused (rape and molestation by three different persons - by her father at toddler age, by a female babysitter at age 11, by her High School teacher at teenage) in her young life...it sounded too good to be true. :roll: If she happened to be sexually abused once, by somebody else outside of her family, it would be easier to believe the facts. Molested/raped by her own father? Oh please. I don't think so since they still see each other and contact as a family does including a recent family photo.

You have no idea what she been though if she said she was raped by her dad I believe her.

Yeah, most of us knew William was a bad guy in real life...he was so shady.

Sorry, my bad that about her father whose sexually abused Marlee wasn't in the book, but said in her interview on some tv show. I know it is hard to believe her bullshit 'cause she had never dared to call the Big Brothers or the authorities to even get a justice. She'd let them perverts go free. She must've enjoyed it so often after so-called "first rape" by her teacher. :roll:

This is the first time I heard of this. I recall her saying she was molested by a relative (uncle?), a teacher and her ex-boyfriend.

Please cite your source on the part of where she was raped by her father.

Wirelessly posted

I think about 70 to 90 percent of rape cases go unreported. Things that occur in residential schools and within families are seldom, if ever, reported by people until much, much later in life.

This is the first time I heard of this. I recall her saying she was molested by a relative (uncle?), a teacher and her ex-boyfriend.

Please cite your source on the part of where she was raped by her father.

I got this source from my bf. I had to re-question him just right at this moment, he said yes he saw Marlee signed, stated something about her father was molesting her when she was at young age. She also signed that she admitted that she didn't tell anyone and she regretted that herself felt selfish to keep secret and defended her own father which she didn't want to lose while she was growing up. *shrugs* But I asked him which tv talk show and he didn't recall. I know it wasn't on Larry King Live show, I saw the rest of it Marlee didn't say anything about her father. I did tried to google search about sexual abuse by her father Don but I found nothing. If Don did it to her, and maybe it was no wonder why her father let her smoke joints and bongs all the time as she pleased and he didn't get angry when he found out that Marlee stole money from him. The way I read about her parents' role models during her preteen and teenage period had a low numbers of Authoritive, pretty much pemissive and not involved much of role modeling such as teaching moral values and discipline in Marlee's personal and emotionally life.

Molested by ex-boyfriend??? Ummmm, a lot of boyfriend or husband does it with their lover/spouse. So yeah my bf molests me. Eh. Anyway, now your turn to cite your source where you said that Marlee was molested by her relative or perhaps uncle?

Souggy,

Respond to your post, yes that's indeed...take a look at elderly and middle-aged Deafies who had been sexually abused by priests, few nuns, and housing parents in the dorm halls at Boston School f/t Deaf, a local Deaf school in Wisconsin, and Washington School f/t Deaf. Those victims did reported some years later after the incidents and they did named the names of perps. Now, in the book Marlee wrote she didn't name the names who sexually abused her. Something's fishy.

Wirelessly posted

I think about 70 to 90 percent of rape cases go unreported. Things that occur in residential schools and within families are seldom, if ever, reported by people until much, much later in life.

I meet a woman that was being raped by her father for years and her mother knew it was happening . The mother did not want lose her 'lovely husband 'and the little sex she was getting from him. When the woman got older she reported her father to the police, her mother blamed her daughter for her husband going to jail and kicked her out of the house! The poor woman had to live in her car , her whole famliy had turned against her. She tried to kill herself but was found in time. It was a very horrible case of child abused andto think the mother did nothing protect her daugter from the monster that was raping a child for years! It a very upset case for abuse.

I meet a woman that was being raped by her father for years and her mother knew it was happening . The mother did not want lose her 'lovely husband 'and the little sex she was getting from him. When the woman got older she reported her father to the police, her mother blamed her daughter for her husband going to jail and kicked her out of the house! The poor woman had to live in her car , her whole famliy had turned against her. She tried to kill herself but was found in time. It was a very horrible case of child abused andto think the mother did nothing protect her daugter from the monster that was raping a child for years! It a very upset case for abuse.

I am not surprised. That's fairly common, sadly.

Glad one person I knew was removed and was placed under foster care.

Molested by ex-boyfriend??? Ummmm, a lot of boyfriend or husband does it with their lover/spouse. So yeah my bf molests me. Eh. Anyway, now your turn to cite your source where you said that Marlee was molested by her relative or perhaps uncle?

Oh, you clearly don't have a clue when it comes to sexual abuse.

I read the book in early July. It was a easy read.

I only hope that deaf/hoh victims of abuse by those in authority will be more assertive nowadays than in Marlee's time.

I truly believe if she had stayed with William Hurt much longer then she wouldn't be alive today.

Wirelessly posted

Banjo said:

Spouse rape is punishable in the court of law if the partner does not consent to something.

mmmokay, yes I do know what it's like. My best friend was sexually abused when she was very young boy. I've heard sick stories from some deaf peers on their own abused experience such as forced to do BJ by her ex-stepfather when she was 3years old. See that's why he had 10 years term jail sentence with hard labor. How can you call your girlfriend a molester when she likes to stroke your white sausage?

Back