Marijuana

I know, with proven research and fact, that marijuana is not like the two worst illegal drugs in America: Meth and PCP. Marijuana is said to be a lot of things and, those who know - and, usually, are older with wisdom, know that it is all ridiculous, misguided enforcement.

Marijuana, on basis of medicine, is accepted in some cities. Most notably, San Francisco is at the forefront. In terms of medicinal marijuana, there is a contradiction.

Within this article is a story explaining that a man, in dire need of a transplant, is denied a transplant because he had THC in his system. He was prescribed THC-medicinal marijuana by the medical institution that, now, denies him a transplant because of that prescription. [What a run-on!]

The Associated Press: Medical marijuana patients face transplant hurdles

The medicinal properties of marijuana is proven (with private and limited government research). Many, in view of statistics and trends, find marijuana-related problems preferable to alcohol. I believe that whatever the trend is, the science/quality will follow.

Marijuana, if found widespread, will increase in quality and, with an industry like Big Tobacco, will seek to increase revenue. Alcohol, in many forms like flavored vodka, flavored rum, and generic/substitutes, is performing the same role that marijuana, if widespreadly legal, would assume. Therefore (and you'll probably be aghast if not already) with this current level of enforcement, the marijuana quality those get would stay the same . . . natural and in keeping with the flow of tolerance.

Back to the point: Medicinal marijuana punished while medicinal marijuana was prescribed. What's up with that?

I understand the detail about Medical Marijuana and Marijuana illegal. I understand that clear. I read about Green Party for President in 2000. Some people want to vote for President of Green Party. But the people in the America picked Democratic and Republican. Green Party was on the 3rd.

I am wonder why the people who are pothead and like get high to vote for Green Party to make a Marijuana Legal.

Alcohol are legal in America after 21 age to drink.

I know, with proven research and fact, that marijuana is not like the two worst illegal drugs in America: Meth and PCP. Marijuana is said to be a lot of things and, those who know - and, usually, are older with wisdom, know that it is all ridiculous, misguided enforcement.

Marijuana, on basis of medicine, is accepted in some cities. Most notably, San Francisco is at the forefront. In terms of medicinal marijuana, there is a contradiction.

Within this article is a story explaining that a man, in dire need of a transplant, is denied a transplant because he had THC in his system. He was prescribed THC-medicinal marijuana by the medical institution that, now, denies him a transplant because of that prescription. [What a run-on!]

The medicinal properties of marijuana is proven (with private and limited government research). Many, in view of statistics and trends, find marijuana-related problems preferable to alcohol. I believe that whatever the trend is, the science/quality will follow.

Marijuana, if found widespread, will increase in quality and, with an industry like Big Tobacco, will seek to increase revenue. Alcohol, in many forms like flavored vodka, flavored rum, and generic/substitutes, is performing the same role that marijuana, if widespreadly legal, would assume. Therefore (and you'll probably be aghast if not already) with this current level of enforcement, the marijuana quality those get would stay the same . . . natural and in keeping with the flow of tolerance.

Back to the point: Medicinal marijuana punished while medicinal marijuana was prescribed. What's up with that?

I read everyone's post about Marijuana. Blah! I didn't understand why in Netherlands is legal Marijuana to make a relax. But in the America is illegal to have a weed. There is 2 much problem with different drugs like cocaine, crack, heroin, meth and other control substance. If use weed only. It will be no problem. The criminal people are not smart about different drugs to try and get addictive. They're not smart about money. Smoking cigarette, Cigar are same with weed. It same with alcohol do legal. The people get DWI and died by crash and abuse on people. But Crack and meth are bad!!!!! The most is bust on meth lab in the America and Canada.

Actually when they become addicted to the marijuana or got in car accident by being high wasn't the marijuana fault, it was those people's fault because they decide to get high then drive, it's their action with the marijuana and the car, that's why the car accident by being high doesn't include with the population of those who died from smoking the marijuana, that applies to the alcohol too. Also about the addictive problem, if they are then they will need to go to the rehab or treatment instead of jail. Just my opinion. :)

Agree, it's really stupid to arrested a person who already have liscense for medical marijuana. I also don't understand why the government prefer us to drink the alcohol instead of marijuana while they understand that the marijuana doesn't cause much problem as alcohol... I hope Barney Frank a good luck.

Actually when they become addicted to the marijuana or got in car accident by being high wasn't the marijuana fault, it was those people's fault because they decide to get high then drive, it's their action with the marijuana and the car, that's why the car accident by being high doesn't include with the population of those who died from smoking the marijuana, that applies to the alcohol too. Also about the addictive problem, if they are then they will need to go to the rehab or treatment instead of jail. Just my opinion. :)

That's true! That what I heard and read the newspapers about the suspect person got arrested by DWI including to marijuana during high and crashed to 9 years old girl got killed. The judge sent him to prison for 10 years. He said didn't know that just a happened. The drug addictive need attend to Marijuana Abuse, Alcohol abuse and other drugs abuse at rehab and have a program group. I used to attend to Alcohol abuse group. I am not real Alcoholic person. I just learned about this group. I have no longer attend to AA group. I know how to control with my drunk. I don't want go to wrong place to get drunk. By the way, I don't drive due to doctor said I can't drive due to my personal health problem. I do have an impaired. I am shy to say that.

Jail's fine is expensive than Drugs Addictive Program Therapy.

Agree, it's really stupid to arrested a person who already have liscense for medical marijuana. I also don't understand why the government prefer us to drink the alcohol instead of marijuana while they understand that the marijuana doesn't cause much problem as alcohol... I hope Barney Frank a good luck.

Same here. That's what Government need to approve for Alcohol and Marjuana with license and age. Alcohol and marijuana are the same! It just weird!

That's true! That what I heard and read the newspapers about the suspect person got arrested by DWI including to marijuana during high and crashed to 9 years old girl got killed. The judge sent him to prison for 10 years. He said didn't know that just a happened. The drug addictive need attend to Marijuana Abuse, Alcohol abuse and other drugs abuse at rehab and have a program group. I used to attend to Alcohol abuse group. I am not real Alcoholic person. I just learned about this group. I have no longer attend to AA group. I know how to control with my drunk. I don't want go to wrong place to get drunk. By the way, I don't drive due to doctor said I can't drive due to my personal health problem. I do have an impaired. I am shy to say that.

Jail's fine is expensive than Drugs Addictive Program Therapy.

Same here. That's what Government need to approve for Alcohol and Marjuana with license and age. Alcohol and marijuana are the same! It just weird!

Agree with you :) Marijuana should be react just like alcohol.

Question to Ask : )

Do any of you still smokes a cigarette and smokes marijuana too ?

My friend's husband do both, he has been doing this for 12 years but after 12 years later he died of heart diseased...

My friend said it came from smoking a cigarette and smoking marijuana, I also remember another of my friend I grew up with on the bus to school and he said that if you smoke a cigarette and marijuana, you can get cancer fast, I believe it's true until then I learned about my friend's husband died of heart diseases from smoking both, this is not good.

Also another friend I know I grew up in school is a "PotHead", Ohhh he's mean, very mean and dangerous...I do know that drugs is what makes people very mean, ugly and bad, I've had that experienced from him including other people who do drugs, THEY ARE MEAN, I don't like to be around people that do drugs, they are toooooo mean.

Not only just drugs but alcohols as well, my uncle drink he is uglier and meaner, I do not like people that drinks and be mean.

I like to be around people that don't drinks or do drugs, they are pretty nicer rather you disagree with me or not, heh!

Marijuana should be legalized. Like what Jillio said, the war on drugs was lost long time ago. We're already spending billions on it and still not a single positive result yet. We're spending millions unnecessary-incarcerating people charged with small grams of weed.

The biggest reason why marijuana's still illegal and was illegal in the first place is because of pharmaceutical companies. We all know weed is great for medicinal purpose and it's probably the only natural drug with very minimal side effects for people with cancers or pain. of course... that is bad business for pharmaceutical bastards. they want you to keep buying their medications even though it's not even close to being as effective as weed. they advertised and lobbied very heavily at Congress to criminalize it and did a very good job instilling a stigma to people.

Saying weed is bad for your health and kills your brain cells is ludicrous. So do alcohol, aspirin pills, TV, McDonald, etc. There are 1000000000000 things we can get addicted to and die from it. It's about personal responsibility. Funny thing is... smoking kills about 440,000/yr, alcohol kills 85,000/yr, and marijuana kills 0 so far.

we spent over $19 billion in 2003 on useless drug war! end it now! free up prisons! Drug Laws are INDEED socially created. You get harsher penalty for a small bag of weed than a brick-worth of cocaine. Why? because cocaine is the rich xxxxx xxxx drug. Hell President Bush snorted some, too!

oh btw - I don't do drugs nor drink alcohol :o but logically, economically, politically... it does not make sense to criminalize marijuana.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Govt in Health Department claim that marijuana is more toxic than cigarette
BBC NEWS | Health | Cannabis smoke 'has more toxins'

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. “Legalization: Panacea or Pandora’s Box.” New York. (1995): 36.
Turner, Carlton E. The Marijuana Controversy. Rockville: American Council for Drug Education, 1981.
Nahas, Gabriel G. and Nicholas A. Pace. Letter. “Marijuana as Chemotherapy Aid Poses Hazards.” New York Times 4 December 1993: A20.
Inaba, Darryl S. and William E. Cohen. Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders: Physical and Mental Effects of Psychoactive Drugs. 2nd ed. Ashland: CNS Productions, 1995. 174.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

:dunno2:

Marijuana should be legalized. Like what Jillio said, the war on drugs was lost long time ago. We're already spending billions on it and still not a single positive result yet. We're spending millions unnecessary-incarcerating people charged with small grams of weed.

The biggest reason why marijuana's still illegal and was illegal in the first place is because of pharmaceutical companies. We all know weed is great for medicinal purpose and it's probably the only natural drug with very minimal side effects for people with cancers or pain. of course... that is bad business for pharmaceutical bastards. they want you to keep buying their medications even though it's not even close to being as effective as weed. they advertised and lobbied very heavily at Congress to criminalize it and did a very good job instilling a stigma to people.

Saying weed is bad for your health and kills your brain cells is ludicrous. So do alcohol, aspirin pills, TV, McDonald, etc. There are 1000000000000 things we can get addicted to and die from it. It's about personal responsibility. Funny thing is... smoking kills about 440,000/yr, alcohol kills 85,000/yr, and marijuana kills 0 so far.

we spent over $19 billion in 2003 on useless drug war! end it now! free up prisons! Drug Laws are INDEED socially created. You get harsher penalty for a small bag of weed than a brick-worth of cocaine. Why? because cocaine is the rich (edited it out) drug. Hell President Bush snorted some, too!

oh btw - I don't do drugs nor drink alcohol :o but logically, economically, politically... it does not make sense to criminalize marijuana.

Exactly in your bold fonts, there is no sense for it to be crime at all, but taking advantage of the marijuana and abuse those who use it as simply personal use.

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as you aware of that people who have a license to buy weeds for the medicine purpose. Yes, some of people do abuse it and some of people to use it for purpose: reduce the hyper (ADHD/ADD) and medical reasons.

That's pity, you gave the source is old research before 2005. What I gave this one is couple months ago with new n' fresh information from the research.

2 years seperate is not so long time ago, plus your link are about the toxic of marijuana and tobacco, my link shows how come people don't get killed by marijuana like tobacco.

More informations about marijuana vs tobacco.

Don't alcohol and tobacco use already cause enough damage to society? Why should we legalize another intoxicant?

While there are indeed health and societal problems due to the use of alcohol and nicotine, these negative consequences would be amplified if consumption of either substance were prohibited.

Marijuana is already the third most popular recreational drug in America, despite harsh laws against its use. Millions of Americans smoke it responsibly. Our public policies should reflect this reality, not deny it.

In addition, marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. It fails to inflict the types of serious health consequences these two legal drugs cause. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. According to the prestigious European medical journal, The Lancet, "The smoking of cannabis, even long-term, is not harmful to health. It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat than alcohol or tobacco."

No one is suggesting we encourage more drug use; simply that we stop arresting responsible marijuana smokers. In recent years, we have significantly reduced the prevalence of drunk driving and tobacco smoking. We have not achieved this by prohibiting the use of alcohol and tobacco or by targeting and arresting adults who use alcohol and tobacco responsibly, but through honest educational campaigns. We should apply these same principles to the responsible consumption of marijuana. The negative consequences primarily associated with marijuana -- such as an arrest or jail time -- are the result of the criminal prohibition of cannabis, not the use of marijuana itself.

FAQ's - NORML

A doctor that research the marijuana and tobacco smokers.

Newsgroups: alt.hemp
Subject: Marijuana Safer than Tobacco - Medical Post, Sept./94
Message-ID: <DAqnxA.Awz@icis.on.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 17:15:10 GMT

Marijuana Less Harmful to Lungs
than Cigarettes
by Louise Gagnon
Medical Post, Sept. 6 1994

L'ESTEREL, Quebec -- Heavy marijuana smokers show less evidence
of lung injury than heavy tobacco smokers, and it may be
cannabinoids that are protecting them from developing a condition
like emphysema.

That's according to the principal investigator of a study done at
the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).

Speaking at the third annual meeting of the International
Cannabis Research Society here, Dr. Donald Tashkin, a
pulmonologist and UCLA professor of medicine, concluded heavy
marijuana use did not cause the same degree of lung injury as
tobacco smoke.

"My own feeling is that marijuana smokers probably will not
develop emphysema as a consequence of smoking marijuana," he
said, but cautioned that does not rule out the development of
other conditions like respiratory carcinoma.

"It may be that the THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) in
marijuana could have different effects on inflammatory cells,
which may mediate injury in the lung."

His study, which aimed to measure the pulmonary effects of
habitual marijuana use, followed nine tobacco smokers, 10
marijuana smokers, 10 nonsmokers and four smokers of both
marijuana and tobacco. He gave both quantitative and qualitative
explanations for his finding.

Marijuana users in the study smoked three or four joints daily
for 15 years on average, while tobacco smokers in the study
smoked 25 cigarettes daily over a period of 20 years, indicating
a marked difference in exposure to smoke.

"There is a seven-fold difference in the amount of smoke to which
marijuana and tobacco smokers are exposed," he said.

"It's the quantitative difference in smoke exposure that might
explain the difference in the degree of lung injury as assessed
by these physiologic indices."

Moreover, the phagocytes gathered from the lungs of marijuana
smokers do not have the same properties as those gathered from
the lungs of tobacco smokers.

"We have previously shown that the macrophages that are harvested
from the rinse-out of the lungs of marijuana smokers seem not to
be activated," he said. "They do not release toxic oxygen
species, either under basal conditions or under stimulated
conditions nearly to the extent that tobacco macrophages do. If
anything, basal secretion of superoxide seems to be reduced in
the marijuana smokers."

Dr. Tashkin measured the clearance of the molecule diethylene
triamine penta-acetate (DTPA) from the lung, believed to be a
more sensitive indicator of lung injury than measuring the lung's
diffusing capacity.

If DTPA clearance is accelerated, then it implies an increase in
the leakiness of the alveolar epithelial membrane, which implies
injury to the membrane, he said.

Dr. Tashkin noted DTPA clearance is accelerated in tobacco smoke-
related lung injury.

Initially, the chronic effects of marijuana smoke were measured
in comparison to those of tobacco smoke: DTPA clearance was
measured at about 12 hours after the last marijuana or tobacco
cigarette smoked.

To determine the acute effects of marijuana and tobacco smoking,
Dr. Tashkin restudied these smokers a week or two later, giving
them a single joint of marijuana or a single tobacco cigarette or
both, and then measuring DTPA clearance 15 minutes subsequently.

"What we found was the clearance of DTPA was abnormally rapid
from the lung in the tobacco smokers," he said. "It was about
twice the rate of non-smokers. In the marijuana smokers, there
was a tendency toward a much less rapid rate of clearance. There
was no acute effect in either tobacco or marijuana, and there was
no added effect of marijuana or tobacco."

As with the lungs to tobacco smokers, when the lungs of marijuana
smokers are "washed out", a marked increase in the number of
alveolar macrophages is witnessed.

But whereas tobacco smoke has a concomitant effect of activating
the macrophages, leading to the subsequent release of certain
toxic substances, marijuana smoke fails to activate the
macrophages, Dr. Tashkin said. He noted this difference could be
attributed to differential regulation of cytokins.

"It may be that the macrophages from marijuana smokers release
certain suppressive cytokins, like transforming growth factor-
beta, which is known to suppress the inflammatory activity of
nearly all of the site populations," he said. "That's our
hypothesis, which we are currently exploring."

Pot vs. Cigarettes

http://www.kayalounge.net/Marijuana vs cigaret te.html
So, you thought it was the tar that caused cancer... Think again. Cigarette companies will have you believing anything just as long as you continue to buy their products. The fact is, although insoluble tars are a contributing factor to the lung cancer danger present in today's cigarettes, the real danger is radioactivity. According to U.S. Surgeon General C. Everette Koop (on national television, 1990) radioactivity, not tar, accounts for at least 90% of all smoking related lung cancer.

Tobacco crops grown in the United States are fertilized by law with phosphates rich in radium 226. In addition, many soils have a natural radium 226 content. Radium 226 breaks down into two long lived 'daughter' elements -- lead 210 and polonium 210. These radioactive particles become airborne, and attach themselves to the fine hairs on tobacco leaves.

Many people think smoking marijuana is just as harmful as smoking tobacco, but this is not true. Those who hold that marijuana is equivalent to tobacco are misinformed. For example the Berkeley carcinogenic tar studies of the late 1970's concluded that "marijuana is one-and-a-half times as carcinogenic as tobacco." This finding was based solely on the tar content of cannabis leaves compared to that of tobacco, and did not take radioactivity into consideration. (Cannabis tars do not contain radioactive materials.)... "

Keep this in mind people:
1) Most marijuana smokers smoke the bud, not the leaf, of the plant. The bud contains only 33% as much tar as tobacco.
2) Marijuana smokers do not smoke anywhere near as much as tobacco smokers, due to the psychoactive effects of cannabis.
3) Not one case of lung cancer has ever been successfully linked to marijuana use.
4) Cannabis, unlike tobacco, does not cause any narrowing of the small air passageways in the lungs.

Professional Ethics | Marijuana vs Cigarettes

That's pity, you gave the source is old research before 2005. What I gave this one is couple months ago with new n' fresh information from the research.

dude, did you even read what PuyoPiyo posted?

it is pretty much saying the same thing as your article...

-neither one of them is denying that weed has similar levels of toxins as cigarettes...
-both of them mentioned that cannabis smokers smoke less than cigarette smokers....
-the only difference between the two is that PuyoPiyo's article mentioned that cannabis smokers do not suffer as much lung damage as cigarette smokers because they smoke less while yours did not even touch on that issue...

the reason why cannabis smokers do not smoke as much as cigarette smokers is because cannabis has a nice build-in protection against "chain smoking"...you can only smoke so much within a short period of time before you start to pass out...even with schwag...with cigarettes, you can smoke as much as you want...

but does it really matter if it is unhealthy? i am not really that concerned about it being healthy or not...i bet that most cannabis smokers feel the same way...the way i see it, we are all eventually going to die someday anyways...might as well have a bit of fun along the way...

dude, did you even read what PuyoPiyo posted?

it is pretty much saying the same thing as your article...

-neither one of them is denying that weed has similar levels of toxins as cigarettes...
-both of them mentioned that cannabis smokers smoke less than cigarette smokers....
-the only difference between the two is that PuyoPiyo's article mentioned that cannabis smokers do not suffer as much lung damage as cigarette smokers because they smoke less while yours did not even touch on that issue...

yes, IF use normal on cannabis as cigarette. It's still toxic, no matter!

I dare you to take cannabis as much as cigarette on average user take! :)

we spent over $19 billion in 2003 on useless drug war! end it now! free up prisons! Drug Laws are INDEED socially created. You get harsher penalty for a small bag of weed than a brick-worth of cocaine. Why? because cocaine is the rich xxxxx xxxx drug. Hell President Bush snorted some, too!

bears repeating....

yes, IF use normal on cannabis as cigarette. It's still toxic, no matter!

I dare you to take cannabis as much as cigarette on average user take! :)

I would like take on your challenge...however, the problem is that it is very very difficult for cannabis smokers to smoke as much as the average cigarette smokers do...

like i said before, cannabis has a build-in protection against "chain smoking"...you can only smoke so much in a short period of time before you start to pass out...

kinda hard to smoke when you are passed out...right?

besides, i do not see why that has any bearing on the legality of cannabis...alcohol and cigarettes are unhealthy, but it is legal...

it sounds like you have never smoked cannabis before...

Exactly in your bold fonts, there is no sense for it to be crime at all, but taking advantage of the marijuana and abuse those who use it as simply personal use.

Yep.. Mary Jane, ought to be LEGALIZED, Hell, the cops are busting folks, stupidly, cuz of that?... Here's an old quote, I 'll throw in for the 2 cents worth.. you decide...

God made grass, Man made booze, Who do you TRUST? :hitit::hitit:

Now, that simply should have an easy quick answer!

Back