Manualism and Oralism

And if "neglect" has been used anywhere, it most likely has been made TO parents that chose for a CI and the oral way...... "neglecting" the " true / real / natural " language of the deaf.....
That I have been accused of plenty of times..
Cloggy, not quite.
In this area you've got some bonus points, since you started Lotte out on Sign. You weren't "spoken language" chaunavistic the way a lot of parents who choose oral are. We Deafies aren't against oral language aqquestion. We are against AUDIST attitudes that are so prevalent (ie that Sign is just for oral failures) Parents who push a full toolbox methodology, but whose kids decide on their OWN to speak get NO grief from us Deafies. Remember many Deaf people were oral sucesses, and were late in coming to the deaf world!

I never go to or trust Wikipedia because of the allowing of people to add and change information on there.

But

The posted text seems about accurate as far as the differing view and the argument.QUOTE]

Last fall, I did use Wikipedia for research on Hurricane Katrina because I could not any information on Britannica on Katrina.

I understand about what they are saying however it was reported on an news station that it's pretty accurate. There must be someone auditing the information at some point but as others have mentioned, you might want to cross check the information. I do believe that for the sake of this thread, the information posted is accurate.

I understand about what they are saying however it was reported on an news station that it's pretty accurate. There must be someone auditing the information at some point but as others have mentioned, you might want to cross check the information. I do believe that for the sake of this thread, the information posted is accurate.

I agree but for how long?

'

There you go again.... making false accusations in order to paint a dark picture of someone...
As far as I know, nowhere has that statement been made in relation with signlanguage.... I have never read here, or elsewhere, that the choice to raise a child with sign was "neglecting the child".

And if "neglect" has been used anywhere, it most likely has been made TO parents that chose for a CI and the oral way...... "neglecting" the " true / real / natural " language of the deaf.....
That I have been accused of plenty of times..

Not a false accusation, at all cloggy. I can refer you to the specific posts, if you like.

And now's a good time for the twain should meet in the middle of the road and go forth hand in hand......

Me standing in the middle of the road, tapping my foot..... waiting for my family at the other end of the road to learn sign language.

No offense intended RockDrummer.
My observation is that a site cannot be wholey accurate if anyone, you or me or any person, can add to delete from or otherwise change the information in a section.
Since you said most then you must look at information with a skeptics eye as well :) mee too

The most profound statements I have seen/heard on the shame of forced oralism came from those interviewed for the documentary
"Through Deaf Eyes"
Overwhelmingly the adults who were forced to do oral only felt alienated, some abused, some intimidated into not seeking a means of communication that worked for them, and later in life resent their time being wasted as children and having to play catch up with ASL and other tools that had been in the box the whole time.

I concer..my childhood was exactly what those deaf adults went thru as children too. It sucks and a huge waste. Since learning ASL and being involved with the Deaf community, I finally got to know what happiness meant for the first time in my life.

Me standing in the middle of the road, tapping my foot..... waiting for my family at the other end of the road to learn sign language.

I will join too since I am waiting for mine to learn sign language too.

I will join too since I am waiting for mine to learn sign language too.

Aahhhh, thanks for the company! You are lucky to have a deaf brother... I know, I know, deaf people have always said the same thing to you.

Aahhhh, thanks for the company! You are lucky to have a deaf brother... I know, I know, deaf people have always said the same thing to you.

Seeing how left out my friends are with their families, it makes me very grateful to have a deaf brother. If it wasnt for him, I am not sure I would be in contact with my family except for my mom. Knowing that my brother will be there is what enables me to keep going to family events. He says the same about me.

ASL is probably the most studied SL in the world today.. BUT...
For those opened to good ideas please read this

http://www.acfos.org/publication/ourarticles/pdf/acfos2/svartholm.pdf

IMO, ALL deaf in the world should be taught with their local SL, and then, as second language, the local spoken language.
Bi-lingual/Bi-cultural

None of those separately, but together.
Extremism on some of those sides is a big :roll:

"clannish and inferior subculture that leaves them unable to succeed in the general population"

My head exploded when I read it. I have no doubt that some people believe it. There's something more vile about seeing it written out.

My head exploded when I read it. I have no doubt that some people believe it. There's something more vile about seeing it written out.

Whoever said that ("clannish and inferior subculture that leaves them unable to succeed in the general population" ) is full of total BS.

Back