Man accidentally kills self in front of children

some gun forum

I don't think anyone was blaming it on Glock. They were blaming it on this guy's irresponsibility and stupidity.

a little more info

Father accidentally kills himself in front of kids at grocery store | Mail Online
A father-of-four died on Sunday after accidentally shooting himself in the hip while trying to unbuckle his seatbelt.

The 45-year-old man, who has not been named, was in a minivan with his children outside a Spotsylvania County, Virginia grocery store when the incident occurred.

His wife told police she was returning a DVD when she heard a loud pop and ran back to the vehicle, when her husband told her he had shot himself.

WTVR.com reports the incident occurred outside of the Giant Food Store in Harrison Crossing.

A family friend told the website the couple has four children under the age of 12, including an infant.

Captain Elizabeth Scott of the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, 'he hit the trigger of his .40 calibre glock and shot himself in the hip'.

Deputies arrived to the scene, where she said the man's wife and others in the parking lot were trying to revive the man.

Weapon: Police believe when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt he hit the trigger of his .40 calibre glock and shot himself in the hip (stock image)

Captain Scott said he had suffered significant blood loss and was later pronounced dead at Mary Washington Hospital.

It was unclear at press time whether the man carried the gun in a holster or in his pocket.

His wife told investigators her husband occasionally carried a gun on his person, although it was not known if he was a licensed gun owner.

Spotsylvania police are investigating the shooting to determine if there are any signs of foul play.

Lieutenant Matt Pritchett told MailOnline no further information would be released at press time, citing an active investigation.

It probably hit his femoral artery... you'd bleed out.

To say that they were unsure if it was in his holster or not, who cares? He shot himself in the hip and died from it. Obviously it was easily accessible!

Reminds me of this advice column I saw in our paper not too long ago:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Amy:When our family gets together for any holiday, my niece's husband has to bring a gun with him.

He has a permit. He thinks his permit gives him permission to carry a loaded gun wherever he goes. He even takes it to church.

I have requested that he leave the gun at home when coming to my house.
He says that if he cannot bring his gun, then his family won't come to our home. There will be small children at the house, but he says it's OK because his kids are fine with it. Should I let him bring the gun or tell them they need to stay home?

Amy says: I shared your letter with a spokesperson for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, who responded with this statistic: "A gun in any home is four times more likely to be used to kill or injure a loved one in an unintentional or accidental shooting than it is to be used for self-defense [bradycampaign.org]."

This man may believe that he is somehow protecting his family, but by carrying a loaded gun he is placing them (and anyone else in the home) at risk. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 4,000 children and teens are wounded or killed in unintentional shootings every year.

Your niece's husband may have a legal right to carry his gun, but you also have a right to maintain a weapons-free household.

With any luck it's the same dolt!

Dear Amy:When our family gets together for any holiday, my niece's husband has to bring a gun with him.

He has a permit. He thinks his permit gives him permission to carry a loaded gun wherever he goes. He even takes it to church.

He says that if he cannot bring his gun, then his family won't come to our home. There will be small children at the house, but he says it's OK because his kids are fine with it. Should I let him bring the gun or tell them they need to stay home?

Amy says: I shared your letter with a spokesperson for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, who responded with this statistic: "A gun in any home is four times more likely to be used to kill or injure a loved one in an unintentional or accidental shooting than it is to be used for self-defense [bradycampaign.org]."

This man may believe that he is somehow protecting his family, but by carrying a loaded gun he is placing them (and anyone else in the home) at risk. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 4,000 children and teens are wounded or killed in unintentional shootings every year.

Your niece's husband may have a legal right to carry his gun, but you also have a right to maintain a weapons-free household.

With any luck it's the same dolt!

what an inconsiderate paranoid fool. if somebody asked me to not bring a gun to his/her home, I would respect it without question and leave my gun at my home or car.

Hip usually have large amount of blood flow, after being wound open-wide, it's bigger loss, can led to die.

Yeah, I watch bit too many TV programmes of rescue people in trouble and hurt by emergency services. If someone broke their hip or round that area or stabbed or shot it can very easily bleed fast and heavily inside and die.

People such as the OP give gun owners reasons to cringe. Then you have this guy (Dear Amy) that probably puts his holster on before his underwear. Paranoid much? Most likely he has a pistol holder built into his shower. I also remember a thread somewhere in here about the granny that chased away a would-be robber at a Walmart parking lot. She fired 6 times to scare him off, in broad daylight; none of those shots hit him. Fortunately for the rest of the shoppers, none of those shots hit them, ether.

While I understand why people want to carry firearms, those gun people need to realize why so many are against the idea. These stories only recruit more anti-gun folks. It solidifies the anti-gun folks; a rallying point, if you will.

"it was not known if he was a licensed gun owner"

Why not? The police can quickly access their data base to find out. It takes about the same amount of time as checking a vehicle tag or driver's license.

Also, people who do have concealed carry permits are supposed to carry that permit with them.

First two rules I was taught in gun safety class - Their purpose is to kill, do not ever delude yourself into thinking otherwise and always treat a gun with the *utmost* respect for it has the ability to take your life if you do not.

It's sad when people don't pay attention to such important rules!

Another reason why countries like Britain do not allow handguns.

As bad as the situation is, the guy was an idiot. If his wife was coming right back to the vehicle, why did he need to unbuckle?

Why did he have a loaded gun in a vehicle? (This is a no-no, even in hunter ed courses)

Why did he have a loaded gun around small children?

There are a million whys to this situation, none of which we will ever know.

I don't mind guns, it's guns in the hands of irresponsible people that get to me!

What I don't understand is, why wear it while you are driving? It said that it went off while he was unbuckling.

Alot of people carry a concealed weapon where ever they go. I am licensed to carry one and do carry one where ever I go. I say he was repsonsible becuase he had the ability to defend his family if needed.

It's tragic that he didn't have it on safe however, sometimes the simplest over look can cost us the dearest. My heart goes out to his family.

In a world that values life less and less we all need some way to protect your loved ones.

Think the law and or law enforcement is there to take care of you-Wrong. They only get involved after the damage is already done.

what an inconsiderate paranoid fool. if somebody asked me to not bring a gun to his/her home, I would respect it without question and leave my gun at my home or car.

The Brady org is a bad organization that is founded on the belief that everyone is too stupid to own a gun. The Brady foundation is another one of those organizations who believe they are smarter than everyone else and therefore wants to dictate what you can and cannot do. The Brady foundation is against all the constitution stands for in "Freedom to bear arms"

We all know there are stupid people out there, so, why is it everyone else has to pay for stupid people by organizations such as this one who wants to dictate what you can or cannot do?

This statistic is self serving to the organization because we need actuall figures-no one knows for sure who many cases there are where a gun in the home actually dettered or saved a life in it's use. Why because it just doesn't get reported like a self inflicted or accidental discharge of a weapon injuring or killing someone. These statistics are "bunk" I know becuase I was able to scare off an intruder from my home about 10 years ago and I know that didn't make in the stupid Brady statistics.

glock doesn't have safety switch/lock. your finger is actually the safety.

As a gun enthusiast and owner I would say it's actually stupid to own a gun without a safety especially a concealed weapon, especially with famil around. Any weapon without a safety feature is pure garbage-every weapon I ever came accross in combat or in the military had some sort of safety feature other than your "finger".

I'm supposed to purchase at a 12 shot .45 glock from my brother on Friday and if it doesn't have a safety it's No Deal!

As a gun enthusiast and owner I would say it's actually stupid to own a gun without a safety especially a concealed weapon, especially with famil around. Any weapon without a safety feature is pure garbage-every weapon I ever came accross in combat or in the military had some sort of safety feature other than your "finger".

I'm supposed to purchase at a 12 shot .45 glock from my brother on Friday and if it doesn't have a safety it's No Deal!
that's fine. different preference. I own springfield and it doesn't have safety lock and I'm 100% satisfied with it.

see Post #16 about my comments on safety lock

People such as the OP give gun owners reasons to cringe. Then you have this guy (Dear Amy) that probably puts his holster on before his underwear. Paranoid much? Most likely he has a pistol holder built into his shower. I also remember a thread somewhere in here about the granny that chased away a would-be robber at a Walmart parking lot. She fired 6 times to scare him off, in broad daylight; none of those shots hit him. Fortunately for the rest of the shoppers, none of those shots hit them, ether.

While I understand why people want to carry firearms, those gun people need to realize why so many are against the idea. These stories only recruit more anti-gun folks. It solidifies the anti-gun folks; a rallying point, if you will.

And you all need to understand the fact that those who intend to use it to do harm for whatever reason "DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAW" to begin with. Those who do follow the law however, are less likely to use it to harm others for personal gain or out of anger. Those who "DO NOT FOLLOW THE LAW" will either steal or get the weapon on the black market anyway.

If anti-gun advocates get there way God Have Mercy On Us All" because it's against the constitution, as law abiding citizens-we become extremely vulnerable to those who do not value life, we but our faith on our state and local government to protect us which is ver bad in two ways, 1) Law enforcment always reacts to after the fact-after someone breaks into your place and kills you for your money so are we willing to give up our protection and leave all out hopes on them? 2) Then that makes our government have all power over the very citizens who hired them and they can pretty much do whatever they want.

Most people claim they will never own a gun until something happens to them directly, in most cases they do a 180 degree turn and go out and buy one.

Back