Making a Mountain out of a Molehill

Reminds me of Beetlejuice.

Richard

Wow, that's an very interesting hobby you got Taylor... Keep it updated.

Taylor, I'm very impressed! :P

What gauge are your trains? How large is the board that you are using for your set up? How large is the room? Do you leave your trains permanently set up, or do you have a way of storing them when you aren't running them?

You've inspired me to try some of your design techniques. My major problem is space. (That's why I'm interrogating you :D )

Hubby has two engines, each with a few cars, from his childhood. We have them set up on two 4x8 sheets of plywood, as basic ovals. One train and set up for each of our two grandsons (they will inherit them someday). The problem is, even just that simple layout requires a minimum of a 10x10 totally empty room. We just don't have the space, so they very rarely get used.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any updated pictures of your project? It's been a while.

BTW, cute kitty; is that your "assistant"?

Reba, one suggestion is, as I've seen this, a 4-6 inch wide wood for the track/railbed installed, using corbels or whatnot about 6-7 feet high along the wall if you have 8 foot walls....have the track meander wherever you want thruout your house. Hehe....u can even have the occasional covered bridge if'n ya want, too!

Tousi said:
Reba, one suggestion is, as I've seen this, a 4-6 inch wide wood for the track/railbed installed, using corbels or whatnot about 6-7 feet high along the wall if you have 8 foot walls....have the track meander wherever you want thruout your house. Hehe....u can even have the occasional covered bridge if'n ya want, too!
We seriously considered that.

One of the local chain grocery stores has a model train that runs the circumference of the store, including tunnels--it's really neat.

Also, I saw a very nice around-the-circumference layout at the model train shop in the Indianapolis train station mall, when we visited there a few years ago. I loved it!

One problem is the kids don't feel like they are "playing" with it that way. They like to work the controls, on-load and off-load "cargo", switch the crossings, etc. It looks cool but it's not interactive.

I still have that idea in the back of my mind though. :P Hubby is "handy" enough that he could build it.

WOW!!! Taylor..

you have same hobby that runs in my family and relatives..
My dad kept his faith into it... and passed on when My bro was 13 years old.. My bro was depressed and got involved with neighbor boys into extereme bike BMX... and he moved on to college for physics MD..

but alot of my cousins are still into it.. even worked for train compaines too.. :) also, my cousin (hes about 80's) just build mini train that you can ride on it.. he made backyard into it.. I will try to ask him sent some pics and post.. (try).. I think its awesome!

Way to go Taylor.. keep it up.. and be creative as i see that you are very talent!!

Back