mainstreamed

my child identifies as deaf as well, my child's school is a day school for the deaf in our city, my child has deaf peers and friends, my child loves meeting people who can sign, do i wish we had a deaf school in our city, yes i do, but all we have are the day schools, hence the terp when my child is out in the mainstream, so we all are agreeing to the same thing, a school for the deaf is the better placement for deaf kids,but in a lot of major us cities those options are not there, in my city we don't even have private school options, they do for oral deaf kids, but not for signing or tc kids, to be honest i am shocked we don't have a private school option, we have a big deaf community here, many deaf families here send thier kids to the day schools for the deaf as well, it is the only option here, aside from homeschooling.

Are you saying you want to send your kid off to a residential school? I thought most parents would be happy with having a day school option.

after reading all the great posts, i must say, i am bit bewildered by the responses, you guys can call the schools what ever you want to, all i am saying is if we had access to the school for the deaf, not a day program, they are not the same, at least here they are not. i would send my kids there if we had a true school for the deaf here, since we don't, we go to the day school, so nice of you guys to welcome in parents of deaf children so nicely!! sorry i agreed with you all, i will stick with my local deaf community in matters from here on out

after reading all the great posts, i must say, i am bit bewildered by the responses, you guys can call the schools what ever you want to, all i am saying is if we had access to the school for the deaf, not a day program, they are not the same, at least here they are not. i would send my kids there if we had a true school for the deaf here, since we don't, we go to the day school, so nice of you guys to welcome in parents of deaf children so nicely!! sorry i agreed with you all, i will stick with my local deaf community in matters from here on out

Cool. You're free to do whatever you want. I'm just sitting here wondering what could cause you to be bewildered.

Where is "here"?

Welcome, FOrmykids ... A day school is aDeaf school just as much as a residential Deaf school is. My brother graduated from a day school for the deaf. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome, FOrmykids ... A day school is aDeaf school just as much as a residential Deaf school is. My brother graduated from a fast school for the deaf. Good luck!

What is a fast school for the deaf?

She's so well known, you could just look it up. If you were here a month ago, you must know about her by now.

Oddly, your post seems in cadence much like another hearing parent.
Damn. you're right.

Welcome, FOrmykids ... A day school is aDeaf school just as much as a residential Deaf school is. My brother graduated from a day school for the deaf. Good luck!

What is a fast school for the deaf?

auto checker on my phone...it was supposed to be a "day" school for the deaf. :giggle:

:giggle:

I was wondering about that too!

:giggle: same here. thank you for clearing up the teensy bizzare puzzles.

sometimes us parents don't have a choice of where to send our kids depending on your location/situation, if we had a deaf school in my city, one of the largest cities in america, btw, i would send my kids there in a heart beat

Ok. we share our experiences here and its your call. :aw:

I thought you said there were no deaf schools available, despite your being in a large city? A day school for the deaf is still a school for the deaf. Are you referring to a self contained program in the public school system?

Small "d" deaf is not an identity.

The situation you are describing just doesn't add up.

On the other hand, I've noticed a tendancy for some parents to refer to Dhh programs as Deaf Schools. I wonder if she is in San Antonio.....they have regional dhh programs, and an oral school for the deaf.

So, I visited this school for the Deaf/deaf about a month for several days....high school science classes full of Deaf high school students. I observed how the classes were conducted as well noting the curriculum taught....

And I have to say...the science curriculum seems extremely dumbed down in this deaf school. The students were taught at middle school level or less and the homework/materials were not rigorous enough (compared to mainstreamed public high schools). I had attended 2 regular public high schools you would find anywhere in America, not one of those power-house high schools like Stuyvesant or Phillips Exeter, and even the lowest-level non-honors science classes in my high schools were even more rigorous than of those in the deaf school.

So, before you bash me, this is just my observation based on one school. I wouldn't mind observing more schools if given the opportunity. I would think there's a wide variability in the quality of deaf schools across the nation, right?

So, I visited this school for the Deaf/deaf about a month for several days....high school science classes full of Deaf high school students. I observed how the classes were conducted as well noting the curriculum taught....

And I have to say...the science curriculum seems extremely dumbed down in this deaf school. The students were taught at middle school level or less and the homework/materials were not rigorous enough (compared to mainstreamed public high schools). I had attended 2 regular public high schools you would find anywhere in America, not one of those power-house high schools like Stuyvesant or Phillips Exeter, and even the lowest-level non-honors science classes in my high schools were even more rigorous than of those in the deaf school.

So, before you bash me, this is just my observation based on one school. I wouldn't mind observing more schools if given the opportunity. I would think there's a wide variability in the quality of deaf schools across the nation, right?

Which school was it?

I thought you weren't fluent in ASL ? Unless this was an oral deaf school?

I thought you weren't fluent in ASL ? Unless this was an oral deaf school?

No, this is a school dominantly taught in ASL, but I know what I saw in the classes. Science is Science everywhere.

And rest assured, my ASL has improved much since then. :P

Back