mainstreamed

i will share what i feel comfortable with, as you mention i am new to the site, but one of my kids is mildly to moderately hoh, and my other child is profoundly to serverly deaf, i am hearing

How old are your kids? Are they oral or do they sign?

still learning, just like any language, you are always learning :) but i learned and still am learning from books, video, websites, deaf/hoh adults/kids, teachers of the deaf that came out during my child's early intervention ages 0-3, and my child, if i make a mistake signing, i get corrected. yes my youngest uses a terp

still learning, just like any language, you are always learning :) but i learned and still am learning from books, video, websites, deaf/hoh adults/kids, teachers of the deaf that came out during my child's early intervention ages 0-3, and my child, if i make a mistake signing, i get corrected. yes my youngest uses a terp

And how is that terp in the mainsteam working out?

So, you have contact with deaf adults and kids? On a consistent basis? What do they tell you about your children's needs?

Yes I have contact on a reg basis with deaf adults/kids, based on my child's needs we have always used sign and will continue to do so

Since i shared some, What about you jillo? Are you deaf? Or A parent?

She's so well known, you could just look it up. If you were here a month ago, you must know about her by now.

Oddly, your post seems in cadence much like another hearing parent.

I register at the end of last month, not sure how to look up who people are just yet, not sure what is meant by last sentence of your post, but as a hearing parent who started learning sign and about deaf culture as soon I could, I hope you were not trying to be offensive.....

@ jillo, did you go to deaf school? Or mainstream? What about your kids? Are they deaf as well? Do they go to a deaf school?

I register at the end of last month, not sure how to look up who people are just yet, not sure what is meant by last sentence of your post, but as a hearing parent who started learning sign and about deaf culture as soon I could, I hope you were not trying to be offensive.....

@ jillo, did you go to deaf school? Or mainstream? What about your kids? Are they deaf as well? Do they go to a deaf school?

I said I was Deaf not deaf.

My son is deaf, he went to a deaf school, and he IDs as Deaf.

my child identifies as deaf as well, my child's school is a day school for the deaf in our city, my child has deaf peers and friends, my child loves meeting people who can sign, do i wish we had a deaf school in our city, yes i do, but all we have are the day schools, hence the terp when my child is out in the mainstream, so we all are agreeing to the same thing, a school for the deaf is the better placement for deaf kids,but in a lot of major us cities those options are not there, in my city we don't even have private school options, they do for oral deaf kids, but not for signing or tc kids, to be honest i am shocked we don't have a private school option, we have a big deaf community here, many deaf families here send thier kids to the day schools for the deaf as well, it is the only option here, aside from homeschooling.

What State are you in, formykids?

i almost asked the same quesiton but you beat me.

most of us are familiar with deaf school s in some states so we can tell you which school that your kid can attend.

I used to ride the bus to deaf school for 50 mins for one way, the total of almost 2 hours everyday since I was kid. I had no problem with it.

my child identifies as deaf as well, my child's school is a day school for the deaf in our city, my child has deaf peers and friends, my child loves meeting people who can sign, do i wish we had a deaf school in our city, yes i do, but all we have are the day schools, hence the terp when my child is out in the mainstream, so we all are agreeing to the same thing, a school for the deaf is the better placement for deaf kids,but in a lot of major us cities those options are not there, in my city we don't even have private school options, they do for oral deaf kids, but not for signing or tc kids, to be honest i am shocked we don't have a private school option, we have a big deaf community here, many deaf families here send thier kids to the day schools for the deaf as well, it is the only option here, aside from homeschooling.

I thought you said there were no deaf schools available, despite your being in a large city? A day school for the deaf is still a school for the deaf. Are you referring to a self contained program in the public school system?

Small "d" deaf is not an identity.

The situation you are describing just doesn't add up.

wow you know a lot what to say about kids' needs. how strange is that no deaf school is nearby to your home. did you just move into town a while ago?

Back