Longtime browser, scheduled for CI impalnt 11/12

Thank you. :) Not too nervous anymore. Just ready to get that part over with. lol Your days are numbering down too. :)

Jerry
Yup, and now, thanks to someone at work, I am counting hours instead of days.
Right now I am about 210 hours away. :laugh2:

ET

Ok, Just got back. I have been activated a hour now. This is extremely weird. I was prepared for it not to sound right at first. What I wasn't prepared for was it to nearly knock me off the chair when she turned it on. It sounded like a firetruck in my ear. She turned it down and did a map. I am due back Monday. She wants me to get used to it over the weekend and then we can go from there. Slowly I am already starting to comprehend stuff. The windshield wipers on the way home drove me nuts. When I got here my dog's nails on the floor was insane. Typing on this keyboard is extremely loud. I can even hear the mouse scroll wheel.

Mostly any sound just sounds the same. Even the faintest thing sounds the same. I am sure that will change. I am going to practice all weekend with different sounds. Hopefully my brain will learn quick.

I know you will adjust with time and practice. Do you still have to go back to work on Monday or have they postponed that? It would be nice if you had a little more time to adjust, especially with your audi possibly doing a new map. Glad you didn't fall out of your chair, as that could have been painful. Keep us posted.

I am trying to get a extension off work. I didn't mean to make it sound bad or to scare you before your activation. :) I know it will take time. It's just a lot to get used to. I've had the urge to take it off since I got home. I just lowered the volume and intend to stick with it.

It's okay Jerry, not scared in the least. I keep telling myself it has to be better than what I have now, so that is how it is going to be. In time, of course. I expect things will sound loud and crappy to start with. Just wish the audi wasn't so far away. It's not like I can take an hour off work to run by and see her, it's a whole day I have to take off and over four hours on the road. But that is my problem, not yours. Let me know how things go on Monday.
ET

I had the day wrong. It's actually next Thursday that I go back. After viewing some of the other people's activation video's I am disappointed. It seems their audiologist spent more time with them the first day . Mine was over with in 15 minutes. I am going to make her spend the time with it next Thursday to make sure it's improved.

I had the day wrong. It's actually next Thursday that I go back. After viewing some of the other people's activation video's I am disappointed. It seems their audiologist spent more time with them the first day . Mine was over with in 15 minutes. I am going to make her spend the time with it next Thursday to make sure it's improved.

Only 15 minutes? That doesn't seem right, as you said, it usually takes longer from what I have read. I would certainly ask her why so little time spent.

My guess is she uses a basic program for starters. I am assuming she wants me to get used to it a week and then we'll go from there. I am remaining optimistic.

I am sitting here watching a movie rerun and I am actually hearing it pretty clear. The volume is near the minumum. :)

15 mins!! thought at least an hour was the norm!, Mine was 1.15 on first day, and 1 hour on 3rd day (wed then fri.)this was with basic programs.
It had been always an hour for each appointment i had.

Glad you are hearing things.

I'm trying to catch up with reading, 15 minutes wow. I think my activation was around 2 hours. I's sure it took long because of the bilateral activation. I will say now my mapping is around 15 minutes. It does not take long since I know what I want in mapping and it works well.

Don't be disappointed with your activation. I real journey is the daily awareness of sound. I cried when I realized the dog made noises or the refrigator made a sound. Now every over a year later, I cherish all the new noises. Give it time.

Thanks. :)

I ordered these plastic nail covers for my dogs. I was looking on the net and found them. Thought they would protect my hardwood floors and at least quiet their clacking. It sounds like glass breaking to me everytime they walk!

Where do you get those plastic nail covers for the dog? My dog's nails drive me nuts, too, and when someone is talking and the dog goes by I can't hear the person, just the nails. It'd be nice to silence them! Glad your activation went well, even if it is only 15 minutes long. Sounds like you are going to progress quickly. I was activated July 14, and getting to the point where I am with speech comprehension and music enjoyment is just amazing to me after not hearing in about 20 years. I think my auditory memory stuck in there. Best of luck :)

Here you go. I just ordered black for my dogs. They have colored nails and stuff. lol I don't know if they work since I have not gotten them yet.

Dog Scratching Solutions, Nail Caps for Dogs

Thanks, I am doing better everyday. I went to Rite Aid recently and that was a adjustment. It was crowded and I really couldn't take 100 voices at once. Someone came up behind me and said excuse me and I didn't hear them over all the noise.

Last night I had what you would call a CI moment I guess. I brushed my teeth and was walking out of the bathroom. I was about 20 feet away when I heard a gurgle gurgle gurgle. Had no clue what it was. I finally realized it was the water draining down the sink's pipes. I had never heard this with hearing aids.

JKB315, your posts have given me hope. right now im deaf in my right ear and losing my left. tryin to stay positive but also understanding and preparing for the possibility of losing it. i thought i was just gonna be deaf and not hear my wife and friends etc. but knowing that there are cochlear implants out there that will allow me to hear makes me very happy. im glad things are going well for you.

im very scared right now myself. im 22 and i was coaching high school football and working. now i just sit at the house. my wife does well so i have that luxury, but im trying to get healthy so i can get on with things. dont know what to do! i guess with time things will get better.

I'm trying to catch up with reading, 15 minutes wow. I think my activation was around 2 hours. I's sure it took long because of the bilateral activation. I will say now my mapping is around 15 minutes. It does not take long since I know what I want in mapping and it works well.

Don't be disappointed with your activation. I real journey is the daily awareness of sound. I cried when I realized the dog made noises or the refrigator made a sound. Now every over a year later, I cherish all the new noises. Give it time.

how well do you hear with your bilateral implants? i might have to get them someday so i was just curious. and what does "mapping" mean?

JKB315, your posts have given me hope. right now im deaf in my right ear and losing my left. tryin to stay positive but also understanding and preparing for the possibility of losing it. i thought i was just gonna be deaf and not hear my wife and friends etc. but knowing that there are cochlear implants out there that will allow me to hear makes me very happy. im glad things are going well for you.

im very scared right now myself. im 22 and i was coaching high school football and working. now i just sit at the house. my wife does well so i have that luxury, but im trying to get healthy so i can get on with things. dont know what to do! i guess with time things will get better.

Glad to be of help. If you've been hearing all your life, a implant would probably work wonders for you. You would probably adjust 10 times as fast as someone who has been deaf or lost part of their hearing years before. I'd definitely look into it. Especially if it put a damper on your everyday life. If it gives you the ability to get back on your feet and do what you do best, I say go for it.
And even if you do not get a implant, your hearing impairment shouldn't hold you back from doing anything you want. I am in awe of how some fully deaf people live normal lives. My best friend is deaf and does really well.

I knew a teacher my senior year at West Virginia School for the Deaf. He was fully deaf and coached a hearing girls soccer team. It was unreal.

Glad to be of help. If you've been hearing all your life, a implant would probably work wonders for you. You would probably adjust 10 times as fast as someone who has been deaf or lost part of their hearing years before. I'd definitely look into it. Especially if it put a damper on your everyday life. If it gives you the ability to get back on your feet and do what you do best, I say go for it.
And even if you do not get a implant, your hearing impairment shouldn't hold you back from doing anything you want. I am in awe of how some fully deaf people live normal lives. My best friend is deaf and does really well.

I knew a teacher my senior year at West Virginia School for the Deaf. He was fully deaf and coached a hearing girls soccer team. It was unreal.

im gonna start looking into it. i have a MRI on the 18th and if my hearing has declined more then, ill probably ask to get things rolling. how well do you hear with yours? i see there are so many different types from what ive been reading.

Back