Longtime browser, scheduled for CI impalnt 11/12

Cool, I go back Wednesday for the post op. I don't know if my stitches are the dissolving type. I think he said that they would be taking them out.

That's what hubby said when he looked at the pic of your stitches... they looked like the ones that had to be removed. It is kind of interesting to see and compare CI stories to find the differences in surgical techniques.

That's what hubby said when he looked at the pic of your stitches... they looked like the ones that had to be removed. It is kind of interesting to see and compare CI stories to find the differences in surgical techniques.

My daughter didn't even have stiches! Her incision was held together by surgical glue!

Wow! thats awesome line of stitches. looks very neat.

I didn't have stitches just glue and steri strips to hold it together! It had to be kept dry for 2 weeks.

For those who wants to see what's glue/strips are like.

The first one is 2 days after the op and on the day my "Turban" came off. The 2nd one is 2 weeks after the op and i had the steri strips taken off off at my post op check up.

View attachment 13102 View attachment 13103

Following my first surgery, I had dissolveable stitches. For my second surgery, I had nylon stitches that had to be removed. I'm not sure why there was a difference since I had the same surgeon both times. :hmm:

Quick question. Is it normal to have a big fullness (feels like I have a huge hearing aid mold in my ear) in my ear and slight soreness on my neck? Feels slightly swollen under my chin. The incision area stings a little bit. Feels like it's pulling if I turn my neck.

Just trying to understand what's normal and what's not.

Quick question. Is it normal to have a big fullness (feels like I have a huge hearing aid mold in my ear) in my ear and slight soreness on my neck? Feels slightly swollen under my chin. The incision area stings a little bit. Feels like it's pulling if I turn my neck.

Just trying to understand what's normal and what's not.

Totally normal on both counts. The fullness is most likely a clot of blood that will dissolve back into your body on it's own. As for the sore neck, etc. you could have that from the way they positioned your head or from the tubes they had down your throat. For me it was a sore jaw, others have had sore throats, bruising up to the eye area, it just depends on the person.

Cool, I was slightly worried I hurt something. I took the trash out last night and didn't realize I was carrying the usual heavy bags. I also mopped the floor. My girlfriend keeps telling me to take it easy but I at least want to move around a little. I am going nuts just sitting.

Cool, I was slightly worried I hurt something. I took the trash out last night and didn't realize I was carrying the usual heavy bags. I also mopped the floor. My girlfriend keeps telling me to take it easy but I at least want to move around a little. I am going nuts just sitting.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I did laundry, dishes, cooked a meal here and there and let hubby pick up the slack when I got tired. Yesterday, after post op, we came home and moved the recliner out of my computer room so I could sit at my desk again. As your girlfriend says, just don't over do it. But as long as you feel ok, and take precautions, you will be fine.

As far as the neck soreness, Yes left side and into shoulder muscle. I had a really hard time getting out of bed day 2-4. Doc said it was normal. Also had swelling on day 2 but was also told normal during post op visit.

What I found is if I pushed the lifting restriction of 10lbs, I noticed ringing in my implanted ear for the 1st week or two that would last a little longer than how long I held whatever I was lifting.

Going in on Dec 9th to do it all again on my other ear. I'll be another one of the few Bilateral patients in SE Michigan and I can't wait. I'm hoping they call me to come in earlier if someone else cancels. They have everything already and I'm ready to go. Just waiting now.

Going in on Dec 9th to do it all again on my other ear. I'll be another one of the few Bilateral patients in SE Michigan and I can't wait. I'm hoping they call me to come in earlier if someone else cancels. They have everything already and I'm ready to go. Just waiting now.

How awesome for you. Best of luck and keep us posted!!!

As far as the neck soreness, Yes left side and into shoulder muscle. I had a really hard time getting out of bed day 2-4. Doc said it was normal. Also had swelling on day 2 but was also told normal during post op visit.

What I found is if I pushed the lifting restriction of 10lbs, I noticed ringing in my implanted ear for the 1st week or two that would last a little longer than how long I held whatever I was lifting.

I can tell you from personal experience that you're going to *love* being bilateral. Good luck! :)

By the way, I'm the first deafblind person to receive CIs at my CI center and one of the first deafblind people to have bilateral CIs here in Wisconsin.

Post op tomorrow. Not really having any major issues other than around bedtime when I am trying to sleep I have extreme pressure around my ear and neck. Feels like somethings going to explode.

I lost some sense of taste too.

JKB,

The pressure you're feeling in your ear right now should gradually improve. So will your sense of taste.

Let us know how your post-op goes tomorrow.

Good luck.

That's good to know. I was a little worried about it. I keep having these fears that at activation the implant will not work etc. I worry way more than I should.

4 Months post op I still have no taste! but it's now granually coming back as i am able to taste my favourtie toast today for the first time since the op.

What you are going through is perfectly normal so don't grow any grey hairs.

Back