Living in NYC

skm4441

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at Hunter College for graduate school. I am trying to find more information on living in NYC, such as where would be a good priced area to live in, I know NYC is very expensive. But I have no idea to start, especially that I'm Deaf. So I thought I would get advice from my peers and those who are very familiar with the Deaf culture. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Sarah

Sarah - many deafies I met live in Brooklyn. It's cheaper to live in there. I'm looking for apt in Brooklyn as well.

my cousin and her husband&kids lives in NY but out of NYC so im not sure what city of NY but my cousin's husband joins army its totally faraway..

Isn't the cheap areas of NYC usually bad areas? Brooklyn has some crime, don't they?

Isn't the cheap areas of NYC usually bad areas? Brooklyn has some crime, don't they?

nah. It's not THAT bad. It's just further away from highly-sought after area.... by rich people. many young people and hispanic live in those area.

nah. It's not THAT bad. It's just further away from highly-sought after area.... by rich people. many young people and hispanic live in those area.

Ahh, I see...I think you will be ok there.

i say brooklyn,bronx and queen.

I wouldn't recommend Bronx but a very specific area of Bronx is ok (which is pretty small). Queen is quite fine but it's heavily populated by asians so you should be fine while Brooklyn is populated by hispanic.

You could try looking into upper manhattan. wayyyyy upper.

I have stayed with a friend in Brooklyn several times ...it wasnt too bad.

Maybe you can look up www.craigslist.org and find state and city for an apt or house for rent. It won't hurt to try to see how cheap are they if you are curious! :thumb:

im warns to AD about craigslist because one of former medical student who killed model months ago im so serious!! but former medical student not murder model!! that LIAR!

Either Queens or Brookyln, is the good place to find... Bronx, as I have heard isn't a good idea.

Hi SKM,

I can tell you a lot about Brooklyn. I born, raise and living here. Brooklyn is the 2nd bigger borough of NYC. There are many good areas in Brooklyn. It's interesting to see many parts of NYC. There are different levels of class. For instance, the upper class family are living next to poor family, just few blocks away from them. Some middle class have lower-lower class neighbors. What people said "there is no place like New York City."

Brooklyn is becoming a new Manhattan. It is true. Some areas are like a small version of Manhattan. You can find many family restaurants, lounges, general stores, franchise restaurants/stores and so much more!!

The areas I recommended you to seek are
Clition Hill
Greenpoint
(West) Bushwich after Greenpoint - afforable
Clobbe Hill
Williamburg - affordable
Park Slope
Bayridge - affordable but long way to commute on subway to Manhattan
Brooklyn Heights
Boerum Hill

Just be preapared to pay. Any more qqs, ask away.

Best of luck!

Back