lifeprint dotcom

coronamoz

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to ASL as a few of you know. I recently discovered lifeprint.com and they offer free lessons and will even send you a CD of their site for free.

My question is this: What kind of reputation does that website have when it comes to reliability and correctness of signs? I want to be using modern signs when I actually use my ASL for the first time. I mean, ASL is a living language just as any other. Thanks!

wow, surprising that nobody in a deaf forum has heard of this site. i'll take that as a hint.

I've seen that site and I've used it before. I don't like to use it for everything but I use it for general help. I would say that the best way to learn any language would be to use it with people who know the language who can show you how it's actually used.

coronamoz said:
wow, surprising that nobody in a deaf forum has heard of this site. i'll take that as a hint.

You're right...I have never heard of it. The best way to learn ASL is through signing with people at local events, etc.

I found that link a few weeks ago while looking for resources for teaching a class in ASL. As a person who grew up with both ASL and spoken english, I can say that they are fairly thurough on vocab and cultural issues.
However, the guy is an ASL purist. He strictly conforms to the "no be verbs" and strict ASL wordorder. Most people I know who use ASL (myself included) really use a hybrid of ASL and pigdin sign.
I dont think it really matters how you say it as long as your point gets across. :applause:

Hope its not full of old ASL signs you find on the ABC cards deafies selling these days.

Richard

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/index.htm

I first checked out life print, but then found this website. Its good for trying to learn signs I have not learned yet, but SunnyDay and Meg are right, signing with people in real life is the most effective way to learn. You can learn every single sign there is, but unless you're using it and know how to read it, it will do you no good.

I have known about this site for several years. It is a good "backup" resource, but it is better to learn ASL with real people. I have taken several ASL and terp classes by distance learning. I much prefer the "live" classes.

:) :thumb: I have never heard of this website either, but, I agree with all who have responded to your posting that it is better to learn ASL with a live class, go to a deaf function, or even trying to find a tutor that would be willing to teach you ASL. I wish you good luck in learning ASL, you will have lots of fun using it with other deaf in your community.

my interpreter and I came across lifeprint.com when I was... a junior in high school I think. We both thought it was GREAT, as we were doing our own ASL class, with her being the instructor and I being the only student. I thought the site was pretty neat and informative.

I actually know the guy who runs the site, every Saturday morning I go to an ASL breakfast that he runs and his wife was my ASL 2 teacher. Great guy, constantly working to improve the site.

I also wouldn't say he's an ASL purist; I've had 2 different sign teachers that I consider MUCH more ASL purists than he is, however, the site is geared towards ASL, so .. it's probably going to be biased

my $0.02

Back