Left out of the fun again..

lol funny how far this discussion went. Well no I'm not that pessimistic however, I go to almost all events. Just things that have conflicts such as cinema and feeling left out because everyone else is hearing and you're the only Deaf person. I didn't want to make a scene. Because, I have no balance otherwise. It's their loss for excluding me. I got over it.

While it's not right, I'm waiting to see if she even acknowledges what it's like to live as Deaf for a day. She hasn't yet but, I plan to have her wear ear plugs for a day and the rule is that she can't do anything hearing. suffer for a day.

I would further than that. I would have her mute the voice on TV and turn on the CC and that will give her an idea of what it like to be deaf or HOH.

I know it does suck to have people decide what is best for you.
Have you told your fiancee how you feel about this? Has this happen other times when your fiancee when to movies when her friends? If this has you need to let your fiancee know that you're feeling left out of the fun. I know how you feel. I have something like happen with me right now.

EDIT:post deleted. Wrong post, sorry.

When you say you were excluded, do you mean they didn't invite you? Who told you that it wouldn't be worth the investment?

Does your local theater regularly have captioned movies available?

About the ADA, it depends. You can use the ADA to get captioned movies at the theater but you can't use it to change your friends' attitudes. That's the most sorry part. They should have let you decide whether or not it was worth the investment to you.

(Personally, as an adult, when it comes to missing a Smurfs movie, I would say count your blessings. :giggle: )

From where he resides, yes there is regular Open CC movie release every 3-4 days at Regal Theater on Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo NY. Open CC also happens at Regal Theater in Williamsville, NY but it is only on occasion and there is Rear Window CC at AMC Maple 9 on Niagara Blvd, Amherst, NY. But OCC is the better than RWC, though. Regal Elmwood is the best in Buffalo area.

Today my fiancee's best friend and her 4 kids including two other adults went to see the smurfs movie today. I was excluded because, "I'm deaf and wouldn't be worth the investment". Real shocker for Deaf people to not be able to watch a movie with everyone else. I thought ADA law was effective. :/

Hearing people usually go to Regal to watch a movie with OCC. Believe it or not.

so why don't you start living like a deaf person?

You're living like a hearing person. of course you're treated like an ignorant hearing person so...

Yeah, I am surprised that he has been living in Buffalo for 4 years now and he has NOT yet met more than a single Deaf person in Buffalo and the surrounding towns which contains 3,000 Deaf residents. There has Deaf Adult Services, Buffalo Club for the Deaf, ASL social monthly in various bars/restaurants, ASL Club at University of Buffalo North campus....where three Deaf professors employ at.

Of course, I had one event from independent living center here i Buffalo, NY they said Deaf only event. I was rather peeved. Though I understand. Since then she hesitates asking to go to clubs etc. I haven't gotten involved with the Deaf culture here because, originally I'm Californian and I don't know anyone in NY. Long story short, I do take her to events.

When I first moved to Buffalo, I hardly knew anyone who is Deaf. Do not be afraid trying to find one of these ASL events and meet new Deaf people. When I moved in Buffalo on the first week and I went online researching on the information, that is how I found out about BCD (Buffalo Club for the Deaf) and went there for the first time after 2 months I moved in.

Tell me about it... I'm moving to Texas from Chicago and I texted my nieces about maybe getting together some time before I leave and none of them texted back... I also asked about an upcoming sport event of one of my nieces and they didn't bother to respond... part of it I think is because I'm different from them and I actually embrace that .. but it still hurts though. and then I'm kinda like CAN'T wait to get to Texas!

To be precise it's just about any events whereas an interpreter is needed or captions. without those specific needs a Deaf person struggles. Even the bathrooms are not safe for us Deaf folks.

Back