Learned a fact from my grandpa about asl, is this true?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Saying the sky's green doesn't make it true anymore than saying SEE is a language makes it an actual language.

SEE is a mode of English - not a language.

Whatever works though, ya know. I've seen people hammer nails into a wall with a shoe.... Didn't make the shoe a hammer but it got the job done. :)

Whatever works though, ya know. I've seen people hammer nails into a wall with a shoe.... Didn't make the shoe a hammer but it got the job done. :)

incorrect. Nobody should ever use such an incomplete/broken/flawed/inefficient tool for children.

what you're saying is that it's ok to put a temporary bandaid on problem especially when it comes to child development. a big no-no. :nono:

incorrect. Nobody should ever use such an incomplete/broken/flawed/inefficient tool for children.

what you're saying is that it's ok to put a temporary bandaid on problem especially when it comes to child development. a big no-no. :nono:

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree with your assessment. It is after all the parent's decision which method they use.

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree with your assessment. It is after all the parent's decision which method they use.

It's actually a fact. And I do not really care if you agree or disagree because clearly - you have no knowledge in this matter so you are just basically arguing for the sake of argument :wave:

I would rather listen to deaf adults over this subject than some pamphlets. I mean... using some silly sign language invented by hearing people over a complete sign language invented by deaf people for deaf people? yea comical! :lol:

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Saying the sky's green doesn't make it true anymore than saying SEE is a language makes it an actual language.

SEE is a mode of English - not a language.

Right. SEE in and of itself is not a "language". As you mentioned though, it is another mode of English which is a language.

But this thread isn't really about that, it's about the origins of ASL.

That's an interesting analogy :) Good one.

That's an interesting analogy :) Good one.

why not use a swiss army knife if you ran out of surgical knife at hospital? well hey.... it gets the job done, right? :roll:

It's actually a fact. And I do not really care if you agree or disagree because clearly - you have no knowledge in this matter so you are just basically arguing for the sake of argument :wave:

I would rather listen to deaf adults over this subject than some pamphlets. I mean... using some silly sign language invented by hearing people over a complete sign language invented by deaf people for deaf people? yea comical! :lol:

That, again, is an opinion you are entitled to. Hardly, arguing if I acknowledge your right to your opinion. Now back to the topic....It is interesting ASL has at least part of it's origin in French.

Right. SEE in and of itself is not a "language". As you mentioned though, it is another mode of English which is a language.

But this thread isn't really about that, it's about the origins of ASL.

That, again, is an opinion you are entitled to. Hardly, arguing if I acknowledge your right to your opinion. Now back to the topic....It is interesting ASL has at least part of it's origin in French.

we are already on topic because we're answering Jane's question.

Followering your logic, would that also make ASL a temporary band-aid?
The way I see it is that, at least in America, children have to be taught to read and write English, A Spanish child from Mexico has to, if the child wants to stay in America. So too would a deaf child and ASL does nothing to help teach a child to read and write English. Logic tells us the ASL can not be written and, therefore, can not be read.

Followering your logic, would that also make ASL a temporary band-aid?
The way I see it is that, at least in America, children have to be taught to read and write English, A Spanish child from Mexico has to, if the child wants to stay in America. So too would a deaf child and ASL does nothing to help teach a child to read and write English. Logic tells us the ASL can not be written and, therefore, can not be read.

Following my logic would be this - use both ASL and English. neither is a temporary bandaid. anything else is a temporary bandaid.

Is BSL a language? Why not SEE? Like Jiro said it is to some. The real question is if SEE is not a language is in fact English? Many of the “accepted” English words today are from another language. I agree Sign was the first language (not ASL obviously) and I would bet the first sign was just pointing at another object. But I think this thread was about the origin and syntax of ASL, not SEE, BLS, NWSL or any other acronym.

Also high heals do not work well as a hammer :)

Is BSL a language? Why not SEE? Like Jiro said it is to some. The real question is if SEE is not a language is in fact English? Many of the “accepted” English words today are from another language. I agree Sign was the first language (not ASL obviously) and I would bet the first sign was just pointing at another object. But I think this thread was about the origin and syntax of ASL, not SEE, BLS, NWSL or any other acronym.

Also high heals do not work well as a hammer :)

I'll make it simple for you - is Spanglish a language?

ASL has started from French teacher teaching to American deaf students as a starting foundation and it has grown since then with its own style which makes it very different from the beginning.

Jiro I was agreeing with you in point, no need to attempt to make it simple for me. Point being what makes a language a language is people using it. Not everyone uses the same symbols for their communication be it spoken or sign.

Jiro I was agreeing with you in point, no need to attempt to make it simple for me. Point being what makes a language a language is people using it. Not everyone uses the same symbols for their communication be it spoken or sign.

oh ok. bit hard to tell if you were asking a rhetoric question or not :aw:

It's a shame that the mainstream schools don't teach Deaf history to their students. Every deaf student should know about the origins of ASL and deaf education, and the important names of those involved in the history of the deaf. There are resources available, and there is no excuse for not teaching them.

We have been getting some of the history of ASL in our community sign language class. And being on an email list at the School for the Deaf (where I take the classes), we get some additional "lessons" via emails and invites to "community" happenings.

It's a shame that the mainstream schools don't teach Deaf history to their students. Every deaf student should know about the origins of ASL and deaf education, and the important names of those involved in the history of the deaf. There are resources available, and there is no excuse for not teaching them.

How about some schools not being able to afford to teach this. Schools are cutting back on classes . If school taught deaf history , then they would have to teach blind history too.

How about some schools not being able to afford to teach this. Schools are cutting back on classes . If school taught deaf history , then they would have to teach blind history too.

I guess it's better to teach "Disability History" covering all kinds but a major one.

I think Reba really meant in Deaf units in mainstream settings.

Back