Ld

I'll see if I can get you set up with one of your own... You want it in pink, right?

Isn't that like giving someone who doesnt need accommodation some accommodation to fit into the mold of society? Nah, no thanks. Appreciate the courtesy though.

:D:wave:hey, I'm here, another person with MATH LD! <dyscalculia>
wasn't sure if this thread was on Late Deaf or Learning Disability, have learned to be surprised on here!

I woulda ridden the short bus but my mom drove me to school. I'm an only child and especially when I was a young child, she had a lotta emotional baggage, coming from a very physically and emotionally abusive childhood.

who has read that book by Jonathon Mooney called The Short Bus?

The only F I got in college was a paper defending the reason that a deaf person CAN be dx with LD.

And here you all are! My professor said there were no such thing because if you're deaf, you cannot have a LD because it has to show it's not a result of your hearing loss. Bull. She gave me the option of "fixing" the paper and would give me an A.

Nah. I'm proud of that F. Some deaf people DO have LD as a secondary disability. Duh. :)

Hurt. Denial. Fear. Depression. Bewilderment. Anger. Disappointment. Resentment. Grief. Everyone who experiences major hearing loss as an adult goes through the entire array of emotions. Some days you’re ready to kill the cashier at the store, because you can’t hear the total or see the screen and she won’t write it down. Other days you laugh so hard you pee in your pants when your body-building friend tells you that, because his friends weren’t around, he had to do his sets all alone that day, and you misread “sets” as “sex.” Still other days you sit alone in your room, feeling completely isolated and left out—sure that you will never be able to have a “normal,” causal conversation again. You go through so many different feelings within even one day, that you start suspecting you may have multiple personalities.

What you don’t feel, or even realize, is that what you’re experiencing is completely normal for anyone with such a major change in his or her life. So, what do you do? How do you cope? Well, there’s a ton of suggestions available out there—whether you ask for them or not.
“Learn Sign Language.”
“Practice lipreading. It can’t be that difficult.”
“Just get over it.”
“Join the local deaf community and get involved.”
“Eat green tomatoes on Wednesday at 6 PM.”

Humor. There’s nothing funny about living your life as a hearing person and then being thrust into a world of silence. There’s no negating that fact. But if you stop and try…really try…to see if you can find something in the situation (even if in retrospect) that can help make you smile, eventually you’ll find yourself agreeing with the old saying: “Life is short, so laugh it up!” Or, in lipreading, that might be: “Lie for sure. Do I have a gun?” Fitting, wouldn’t you say?:giggle:

Btw, I love this post. It's brutally honest but with a soft touch.

The only F I got in college was a paper defending the reason that a deaf person CAN be dx with LD.

And here you all are! My professor said there were no such thing because if you're deaf, you cannot have a LD because it has to show it's not a result of your hearing loss. Bull. She gave me the option of "fixing" the paper and would give me an A.

Nah. I'm proud of that F. Some deaf people DO have LD as a secondary disability. Duh. :)

Seriously!?!? Damn we better spread the news... Thats crap I would frame that F personally!

Well - I am deaf, but have only comprehension issues, but I am the parent of a teen with mild hearing loss, speech & language delays, fine motor and gross motor skill problems, ADD, dyscalculia and comprehension issues.

I agree that statistically speaking a deaf person can also have a learning disability. However, once the student is receiving services as deaf or hi, why saddle that individual with another label? The student's needs should drive the IEP, no matter how diverse that student's needs. Since it is impossible to definitively separate out that student's academic performance from the effects of the deafness, why the need for the individual to be hit with another label, which can reduce expectations? As we all know, negative expectations because of a label improperly applied, can impair learning just as much as a true disability.
:hmm:

I agree that statistically speaking a deaf person can also have a learning disability. However, once the student is receiving services as deaf or hi, why saddle that individual with another label? The student's needs should drive the IEP, no matter how diverse that student's needs. Since it is impossible to definitively separate out that student's academic performance from the effects of the deafness, why the need for the individual to be hit with another label, which can reduce expectations? As we all know, negative expectations because of a label improperly applied, can impair learning just as much as a true disability.
:hmm:

Excellent question. Because we as teachers must assure we are providing the best education possible on an individualized basis. A good example: appropriate modifications. A typical deaf student in my reading class has specific modifications, but some of the modifications will not be effective if he has an additional disability. For example, a popular modification is to reduce multiple choice question times from four choices to two or three. A deaf student with LD in reading would not find this helpful...now he has only two questions he can't read...this doesn't help. So, I would be aware, knowing of the full scale of his needs, to adjust that modification by adding "sign the questions."

How I would teach a deaf kid is way different than I would teach a deaf kid with a specified learning disability. It makes a big difference.

Sure

But how you teach the student is driven by data, not labels. If the data say that the student needs to be taught a certain way, then teach that way. The label is not the be-all-and-end all.

For example, what about the student who has a high IQ, strong reading skills, and just falls to pieces when presented with a writing assignment. :hmm: Oh, I know, he is learning disabled in written language. We can put him in an English class of ESL and special education students, most of whom read six years below him. That is an example of the label driving the placement. The data needs to be read and used to determine the IEP and placement, not just going off the label.

knowing of the full scale of his needs, to adjust that modification by adding "sign the questions."
You already have access to that information, without looking at the label. It just takes a bit of looking, and law prohibits that it be hidden in the records.

I totally agree that those needs need to be addressed. I am just opposed to excessive labels. What is the student's background and history of language acquisition? What is the home like-- is there an emphasis on education in the home? All these factors must be considered before the child receives those other labels. And since he is already receiving services, what is the need for it?

The weirdest thing is that the other day I was commenting on this thread at work, an a paying customer wanted to use the computer. He noticed my comment and said: "Dyscalculia? Wow, I am going to have to look into that. I didn't know that was a math disorder and I am a Math teacher!"
So our little thread has opened his eyes. YAY

Dyscalculia? Teachers put me in the back of the classroom, so I could read with the lid of my desk partway up for math class. I am very calculator-dependent, always make mistakes when I go to the store. I just get rattled, I guess. Or maybe it was-- did she say 2.35 or 3.35?

I can cope with higher statistics-- right now having a debate on something similar on other boards.

But how you teach the student is driven by data, not labels. If the data say that the student needs to be taught a certain way, then teach that way. The label is not the be-all-and-end all.

For example, what about the student who has a high IQ, strong reading skills, and just falls to pieces when presented with a writing assignment. :hmm: Oh, I know, he is learning disabled in written language. We can put him in an English class of ESL and special education students, most of whom read six years below him. That is an example of the label driving the placement. The data needs to be read and used to determine the IEP and placement, not just going off the label.

You already have access to that information, without looking at the label. It just takes a bit of looking, and law prohibits that it be hidden in the records.

I totally agree that those needs need to be addressed. I am just opposed to excessive labels. What is the student's background and history of language acquisition? What is the home like-- is there an emphasis on education in the home? All these factors must be considered before the child receives those other labels. And since he is already receiving services, what is the need for it?

I agree...if you looked at some of my previous posts, I actually have a thread that says "I teach kids, not labels." I even used to have a bumper sticker with that slogan. However, special education laws require us to have specific disability category named (there are 13 as of now) if we are discussing special education services for that particular disability. If a student is classified as being deaf, then they can get special education services once an IEP committee make that determination. However, we cannot assure that they will get services for S.L.D. unless there's a secondary disability in place. Also, some disabilities have more of an impact on the education process than others - and that can make all the difference when discussing placement decisions.

Categories of Disability under IDEA Law

Agreed

we cannot assure that they will get services
It all depends on the severity and etiology of the possible secondary diagnosis, and how resistant it is to remediation. :ty:

Back